StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

subscription

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
mwielbut
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 118

mwielbut is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website mwielbut's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:24 am   Post subject: subscription Reply with quote

I'm sure this idea has been thrown around before although I haven't found it on the forums..
Bandwidth is pricy for the host once it adds up, but it's cheap for the user. $3 bucks a month for 128 (last time I checked) ain't much for most of us, especially if it means that we get to listen to this stream at a great bitrate.
Have you guys thought about setting up a subscription stream that's really high quality?

just a thought Rolling Eyes
Ensign

Member#: 255

Van is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Van's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that runs into tons of legal issues.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we've thought about it. It's on the table and always has been, but there are several things we would have to take into account before moving in that direction.
mwielbut
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 118

mwielbut is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website mwielbut's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a small stream of my own but bandwidth is the major bottleneck. All the connections are always full. I was tossing that idea around and was wondering if there was something I haden't considered that you guys knew about.
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct mwielbut that the idea has never been made into a forum discussion but it has been raised. On several occasions I suggested that the listening of the streams be a free service but to make requests one would have to "subscribe" with a donation. That would get you 1 month of requesting priviledges. It would fund the site and keep the queues to a manageable level.

As you may have guessed this idea was met with mixed reactions. While most saw the logic of the plan they still felt there had to be a better way to solve the problems that we have had. We always appreciate new ideas and any thoughts that others might have. Thanks for the thoughts.
Ensign

Member#: 1448

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a tier system? Everyone can listen. To be able to request 1 song per hour is the bronze plan, the silver plan would be 2 songs per hour but not from the same album, and the gold plan (most expensive) would allow 2 songs per hour, even from the same album, and/or even if they chosen songs have already been played (within reason of course)? Just throwing out ideas off the top of my head. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a permanent subscription plan FWIW, especially if it helps keep things running around here.
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the tier system would require a concerted effort on the part of Jeric not only in set up but in maintainence. The idea has merit in the reward for your "generosity" would be greater priveledges in the requesting forum. A real problem is though it still smacks of being a subscription service, and that enters us into a new realm of legal issues. The idea does bear consideration and I would be behind such a plan.

Thanks for the suggestion zoid!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: