StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

New request scheme thought
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Would this be better than the current system?
Better
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
Worse
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
The Same
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Van
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 255

Van is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Van's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:26 pm   Post subject: New request scheme thought Reply with quote

I was pondering about this. Sometimes a request per hour does make you overlook lesser tracks over a longer one that you can really enjoy. What about having a number of 'request' points and these get used up as you make requests. For example, you get a total of 4 request points per hour. A small track will only cost 1 point, whereas the SnoFiles song (of the subject, but that thing is 30 minutes long and rather annoying) will cost 4. You could do more with this by letting certain people get more request points per hour, etc (like those who donate, or do things for the site). Anyway, just a random thought and I was throwing it out to see what other peole might think.

-- Van^
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually suggested this about a year ago. Audiorealm currently doesn't support it. But it'd be a good idea if they ever did.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. Smile
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah actually that does sound like a good idea. I certainly know that there are times I have picked a slightly longer track over another, simply to have a score I like play longer.

Oh well too bad about audiorealm.

Goblin
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great idea. I usually pick one favourite, then one random, but I never pick a short random, I feel it a waste of a request.
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea has a lot of merit. I like it much better than the one idea I had as to making requests a "subscription" service. Much more practical and not all the whining. Wink
Lieutenant

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this is that Audiorealm doesnt support that evidently. I'm sure Cocles or Jeric can clarify further, but I'm guessing that they don't allow assigning any kind of value to a selection.

Too bad it doesn't.

Goblin
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it currently is not supported. I will bring that up to the AudioRealm team though and see what they say.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Van
Ensign
Ensign

Van is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Van's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
You're right, it currently is not supported. I will bring that up to the AudioRealm team though and see what they say.

Let us know what they say. Smile

-Van
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a comment by one of the SAM2 developers:

Quote:
Giving credits to songs are a good idea indeed.
I guess it requires
a) Creating a new field in the database to assign credit value (Or calculate
it from the duration field in your case?)
b) Then handling the logic in PHP.

Doing all this inside SAM2 is simply outside of the scope of what SAM2 is
*supposed* to do - so PHP or any other scripting would be the way to go
here...

Louis

In a nutshell, SAM2 doesn't support it and they don't have any plans to. They have their hands pretty full, just like I do. If and when I get more time, I will look into this a bit further. Maybe when Sensei comes back, he will be a big help with this. Let's keep this on the back-burners for now.

Thanks

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Van
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually seems fairly simple. Of course, you could do one of two things. You could calculate a 'point' value for a song based on the length, or you could assign a point value based on a field in the db (ie, each song has its own point value that is unrelated to its length). I like the latter better because it opens up a realm of possiblities like assigning points based upon the number of requests the song gets (this would mean that if you played a really popular song, it would cost more points) and things of that nature. You could also tie both of them together. Having the logic in the scripts makes it extremely flexible. We do a lot of things like that here, so I know that having control of it in your own scripts is a definite plus. The backend work might be a little more, but in the end, it would be worth it. The logic surrounding the point usage, assigning, etc, is all in your hands, and not the people at SAM.

Just my thought.

-- Van^
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of time. Jeric's got his hands full right now with other things we're doing to the site. It is on the list though, as it's been for awhile now (you just brought attention to it), and eventually it'll make it's way through the admin queue known as the todo list.
Van
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand completely, and I hope the tone of the last post wasn't seen in the light of 'it's so easy'. Rather, I was just thinking out loud about the possibilities of working with it this way. I for one have no idea about the architecture of the backend, so I didn't know what was possible until Jeric's. I work on things like this for a living, and I'd be more than happy to help work on things.
USA Goblinmoon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

requests per hour...

Is there any feasible way to make the requests per hour be based on how many listeners there are? Last night, the counter showed 4 (yes I know its probably not correct) and I was able to put in a request, but had to wait that long whole hour, not that the random stuff was horrible, but still would be nice.

If its not possible, no biggie, just curious.

Goblin
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally there is nothing wrong with the request system. I like it the way it is.

On the other hand I like the random playlist, to be more .....erm.... random :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: