StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

A Statistical Question.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 209

tobyz is offline View user's profile Send private message tobyz's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:59 pm   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Visitors: 16
Listeners: 51/262

What is this saying?

16 people at the site (listening or not) are not registered members?

51 people (members or not) are receiving the streaming audio?

262 ??? maximum stream capacity? unique listeners over some period? maximum listeners at some previous point (i.e., the 'record') ??

Toby
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:11 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Visitors: 16
Listeners: 51/262

What is this saying?

16 people at the site (listening or not) are not registered members?
-Yes, but registered is not considered.

51 people (members or not) are receiving the streaming audio?
-Yes

262 ??? maximum stream capacity?
-Yes

unique listeners over some period? maximum listeners at some previous point (i.e., the 'record') ??
-No, No

Sorry for the lack of explaination but as you can see there is limited room to display. I try my best to consider the 800x600 user and it is a pain in the ass to accomodate them. Thanks again for the feedback.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

tobyz is offline View user's profile Send private message tobyz's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:30 pm   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Great explanation, Jeric.

16 at the web site, 51 listening ...
made me realize that many listeners aren't on the site. They get the feed through RealPlayer, etc., and never 'visit'. I hadn't thought of that since I come to the site first and then activate the player.

My RealPlayer doesn't give me the Playlist titles. I want to know what I'm listening to, so I'm always visiting when I'm listening.

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:09 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Why use real player instead of Winamp, QCD or Sonique?

tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:34 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

I don't have QCD or Sonique.

I do have WinAmp, but find the "really whips the llama's ass" sound byte real annoying.

I prefer RealPlayer's menu arrangement and I find no difference in sound quality among the different players.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:16 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

I don't see how that mp3 is annoying since you only hear it once after installing it.

Sonique has the best sound quality of the players I have heard.

QCD has an awesome layout. Looks great and has the simplicity of winamp.

I find it hard to believe that anyone actually likes RealPlayer. How can you stand all the advertisements and annoyances (smartcenter)? RealPlayer has been in a few disputes about privacy invasion too. And once you install it, your PC will never run the same. Doesn't it put AOL icons all over the place?

tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:15 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

This thread is getting interesting now, Jeric - though probably interesting only to me.

I don't have any performance issues on my computer with RealPlayer - and my computer is running lots of heavy stuff, like real-time streaming trades on all of the NYSE, AME, and NASD stocks, as well as real-time headlines and on-demand news texts. Also do real-time stock charting and keep a spread-sheet, e-mail, and IE net browser open full-time, in addition to the streaming music.

RealPlayer just 'fits in'. It was IM SonicBox that took my computer to an absolute standstill until I uninstalled it.

I had never heard of Sonique, but I'll look into it.

As for advertising and RealPlayer, I just don't see ads - not for AOL or anyone else. But then again, I refuse to have anything AOL on my computer, not AOL, not AIM. Maybe that why I don't see AOL ads, i.e., no AOL cookies on my computer either.

I used to use AOL regularly. Then I switched to a dialup ISP and greatly increased my internet speed. But whenever I went back to AOL to check that e-mail account or any other thing, I'd find that AOL would overwrite all my dialup settings and I'd have to reconfigure the whole communications setup to go back to my dialup ISP. So I banned AOL.

RealPlayer is not my only music/video player. I also have WinAmp, Windows Media Player, QuickTime, and Internet Explorer's built-in player (probably a part of my XP system). Most are quite flexible and if one won't open a stream, I go to another.

I'll look into Sonique. Thanks for the suggestion.

Toby
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:59 pm   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Jeric, I downloaded and installed Sonique tonight without any problem. The demo music file that installed with it sounded very good when played through Sonique.

HOWEVER, when I enter a URL and try to play an internet stream through Sonique, the player remains totally silent. The URL appears on the playlist, but the player doesn't show a 'start' button, only a 'stop' button.

The downloaded 'help' document is totally inadequate to the task. Online support consists of an e-mail form that, when submitted, says tech support will send me a reply in 2 - 3 days.

I am NOT impressed.

Toby

....maybe someone who has faced this problem knows the answer and can drop a hint here.
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:11 pm   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

I shouldn't be flooding you with my problems on Sonique, Jeric, but here's a comment I found in searching through the Support forum on sonique.com:

"sonique has always had problems streaming any files..
its limited playlist in sonique 1.xx would not allow track names to be updated until it was loaded and then not again (eg when the next song of a stream came on)

"These were known problems with the streaming support for sonique 1.xx.. they were never fixed as the team were working on sonique 2.xx by this stage.. Streaming support in s2 is still very buggy but half works [Razz] "

Why is it that you like Sonique so much? I admit that the few seconds of a sound file that Sonique played sounded great.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:37 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Toby,

First off you use Real Player, which means you have poor taste in programs and you are probably a newbie. No offense. Maybe you use an older version... but nonetheless, it's still schmaltz when compared to the others on the market.

The best and most common player out there is Winamp. Just about everyone on this site uses it. But you for some reason can't stand the llama's ass sound byte. Simple things annoy simple minds, Toby. If you can't stand the soundbyte then for Yvond's sake overwrite the damn thing with something you DO like. Just use the same file name and make sure it's in the same location. I know you're probably a newbie, which is why you're having problems and using Real Player in the first place but it's not that hard.

Go get Winamp. NOT the beta mind you... don't be fancy. Just go get winamp. Yes, sometimes I have to click on the link for the stream a few times, but once it starts it sounds good and is fine.

Second, don't come on here whining and asking nitpicky questions then slam poor Jeric for trying to suggest a few programs for your sorry ass. None of us care if you're not impressed. He was just trying to help, and he's one hell of a busy guy.

Your list of things to do tomorrow should read:

1. Get used to Winamp llama sound or fix it.
2. Get Life.
3. Thank Jeric and apologize.
4. Order Cocles a Pizza.
5. Find an avatar for my nick on this forum.

Yeehaw, have fun. Write to us when you get there.

Cocles
America's good time Ass.
tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:41 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Hi Cocles,

I take no offense at all to what you say. I am a relative newbie. I just recently switched to a Dell PC from a Mac. As far as I'm concerned, there is no better player than Mac's new iTunes, but that's no longer available to me.

The PC came pre-loaded with RealPlayer (no ads version), MatchBox (?) which required a subscription after 3 months, and whatever is in the XP system (Windows Media Player?). I later downloaded WinAmp for Shoutcasts's streams.

All of the players sound fine to me. I basically have no preference. I use RealPlayer with StreamingSoundtracks because that's what opens when I click on the Listen button. If that's why I'm a newbie, I plead guilty.

1. I'm sure I can get used to WinAmp if I have reason to use it more often. Why do you like it so much? I haven't seen anyone else expressing a preference for it -- part of my newbiness, undoubtedly.

2. If the music is Good, Life is Good.

3. Thank you, Jeric. I appreciate your communication and never intended to flame you. I just had a bad night last night. [Embarrassed]

4. What kind of pizza do you like, Cocles? With or without anchovies? Personally, I like Papa John's, but maybe I'm a pizza newbie, too.

5. Where do you find this avatar business?

Cheers,

Toby
Cadet 3

Member#: 147

expat is offline View user's profile Send private message expat's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:32 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

Toby

On page three of this forum are three different posts about avatars, where to find them and how to use them here.

[Cool]
tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:43 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

No flames are intended here for ANYone.

Cocles has inspired me to search out reviews to compare online music players. I found one site that breifly reviewed WinAmp, RealPlayer, and Sonique (among others).

WinAmp:
Winamp is a superior music player that's quick to download and easy to use. Especially attractive is the capability to create and save playlists, and play MP3s and CDs in one place.

RealPlayer:
RealPlayer is the most popular media player because it's always upgrading to meet user demand. It's reliable and relatively simple to use. RealNetworks also makes its huge content library available to subscribers - something other media players can't do.

Sonique:
Sonique looks very cool, but the buttons layout and design are difficult to get used to. The clumsy task of changing skins makes it even less user-friendly. Another downside: You have to constantly switch interfaces to get from the playlist to the audio control to other functions. There also seem to be too many interfaces that add clutter, making it much more difficult to use than Winamp. For basic users merely trying to play MP3s, this application isn't worth the effort.

From http://www.cable-modem.net/dl/dl_streaming.html

I can personally attest to the problems with Sonique, but if I get adequate guidance from my inquiry to their tech support staff, I'll make another effort.

As to why (up to now) WinAmp never grabbed my admiration, this snippet from a different review sums it up well:

"Winamp is very cool, but it ain't perfect. The playlist uses little multifunction buttons instead of normal Windows style menus. The buttons give the playlist a uniform look, but personally I find them annoying and more than a little cryptic for beginning Winamp users. I'd much rather sacrifice a little uniformity to have clear, precise menus at the top like in all my other programs."
http://www.winplanet.com/winplanet/reviews/944/3/

The review of RealPlayer notes a "huge content library available to subscribers - something other media players can't do." I really like that - in a newbie way, I suppose. Whether I like it enough to subscribe on my own when my prepaid subscription runs out is something I don't have to decide until well into 2003.

As far as subscription content players go, I find Lycos Rhapsody pretty decent at $10/month. It also gives me the ability to create custom 'stations' of up to 10 artists/composers. I can build my own movie stream, my own classical stream, and my own new age stream. Rhapsody fills it in with 'similar' artists to keep it interesting.

But nothing else I've found has the content depth of StreamingSoundtracks.com and no place else matches the 'Request' feature in as clean an implementation. And a Forum, to boot!

A 'newbie' in learning mode...
Toby
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:07 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

"On page three of this forum are three different posts about avatars, where to find them and how to use them here."

Thanks, expat. The link http://www.avatardir.com/ gives me a 'The page cannot be displayed' error, but I'm working on it.

Toby
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:52 am   Post subject: A Statistical Question..... Reply with quote

I never, in all my life, thought this would be a subject that needed so much attention. How 'bout we all use what we want to use and don't bother anyone else on this site about any problems we may have with the players. It is not the webmasters fault or concern if you have problems with your player. His concern is to keep the music playing and host a website everyone can enjoy. He didn't make the players! And Toby, your dedication to this has made me exhausted, I can't imagine how you feel doing all that work.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: