StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

New vs. Old Movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Which do you prefer?
Old Movies?
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
New Movies?
84%
 84%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 19

USA Class
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 23309

Class is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Class's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:02 pm   Post subject: New vs. Old Movies Reply with quote

Just wondering what you guys thing about old movies vs new movies? I think that older movies have a better plot, funnier, original, etc. where newer movies they may have a good movie but its packed with GC animations, special effects the whole bit. Older movies didn't have much to look for a idea for a new movie now a days they do remakes, take ideas from different movies or add several squeals that get worse each time.
For me I think older movies are a work of art in my books, there may be a odd few movies I like today. My vote goes to Old movies
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:22 pm   Post subject: Re: New vs. Old Movies Reply with quote

ClassCE wrote:
Just wondering what you guys thing about old movies vs new movies? I think that older movies have a better plot, funnier, original, etc. where newer movies they may have a good movie but its packed with GC animations, special effects the whole bit. Older movies didn't have much to look for a idea for a new movie now a days they do remakes, take ideas from different movies or add several squeals that get worse each time.
For me I think older movies are a work of art in my books, there may be a odd few movies I like today. My vote goes to Old movies

Might help to better define what you mean by Old Movie and New Movie cause it can be different from person to person. Maybe provide a description or some years to go by so that everyone compares the two based on the same parameters.
USA Class
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Class is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Class's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks natedogg_23 Smile

For a time frame for old movies I would say somewhere around 70's-80's and older and for newer ones would be 90's-today.
USA zgurl49
Commander
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd have to say New Movies because I didn't start watching movies until the 90's.

I'm so used to seeing all the CGI and out of this world visual effects in the movies of the 90's-today that the "older" movies look bad in my opinion.

Also, what I, and many people my age (20) find funny and relevant is completely different from the 70's-80's, to a point. Some "old" movies have definitely appealed to many generations such as Star Wars, The Godfather, etc. but those can be seen as classics and they are so well made that they will appeal to all generations for years to come.

As for the plots of the movies, it seems to me that the plot bunnies in the past are similar to those of today. End of the world, aliens, love, drugs, etc. What it comes down to for me is how the plots are executed, or I guess the script. Watching Clint Eastwood and a chimp "beat up" bad guys just isn't as appealing or funny as watching stoners trying to escape and "accidentally" beating up the bad guys.

In short, the writing, execution, visual effects, sound effects, music, acting, directing, and over experience is just superior in newer movies. (but of course this is just my humble opinion Wink)
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely like old movies, even the so-called classics.
For example, the movie "Casablanca" nearly put me to sleep.
Most times I can't be bothered to watch old movies, no matter how famous they are.
As zgurl said, they "look bad", and I'm rather fond of special effects.
Although a really old movie for me is something that has been made in the 60s or 50s or even earlier.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:16 pm   Post subject: Re: New vs. Old Movies Reply with quote

natedogg_23 wrote:
Might help to better define what you mean by Old Movie and New Movie cause it can be different from person to person. Maybe provide a description or some years to go by so that everyone compares the two based on the same parameters.

So true. I voted based on:

Old Movies = 1900 - 1970s

New Movies = 1970s - today

In my opinion (and some experts would agree), Star Wars (1977) practically defines the cutoff.

For me the main reason I tend to prefer New Movies (post mid-1970s) is the staging and acting styles in Old Movies tended to closely follow trends in the theater. The acting tended to emphasize the dramatic, not necessarily the realistic. Gradually, the acting, staging, and cinemetography in movies has evolved into what works better on film rather than simply transferring what worked on the stage. So, I think filmmaking has continually improved.

I do agree that new methods of filmmaking have not necessarily coincided with improvements in storytelling. However, I think there were plenty of examples of bad storytelling in Old Movies, perhaps as many as there are today. I suspect that the bad Old Movies are simply not remembered nor discussed anymore, while we still remember the bad New Movies.

That's my $0.02. Interesting discussion.

Mr. Green
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. Hard question.

They are great movies, old or news. Except that there are much more new movies than old ones. So, I would say I like better old movies than news ones, because the percentage is higher in the old ones.

And what I dislike the most in new movies are the advertisements. I mean, there are so much movies in which they put ads for cars, mobiles, or even games. Blah!
Commodore

Member#: 24518

Angel is offline View user's profile Send private message Angel's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for new movies, because we get spoiled with great CGI effects and Million dollar budgets.
But... that makes not always a great movie of course... but still.
And in case of remakes, mostly the original is better too (wich is sometimes an old movie too)

my soundtrack collection
USA AK-Mal_Owner
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4415

AK-Mal_Owner is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AK-Mal_Owner's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Where' the "both" option? There are some "new" films I like... conversely, there's a number of older films I like to... how ever... I'd still lump 70's & 80's films as "newer" ... maybe "classic" and "contemporary" would be a better categorization.
Germany tinkerbelle
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 25449

tinkerbelle is offline View user's profile Send private message View tinkerbelle's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm .. very hard decision ....

I like "classic" movies, but the newer ones are the ones with the better effects and the bigger budgets ...

so I voted for new ones ...
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Although no one has posted a reply to my post I think you guys might like my post on older movies http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6152
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: