StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

yo cocles...got a potential suggestion for you....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Inuki
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 2759

Inuki is offline View user's profile Send private message Inuki's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:58 pm   Post subject: yo cocles...got a potential suggestion for you.... Reply with quote

granted you may (more than likely) have had this suggestion presented to you....however...i'm gonna be the stupid newbie and suggest it anyway.....well..here goes....

Suggestion: would it be possible to set up the bulk of the page to use layers instead of having to reload every time you click a link on the left side??

Layers are relatively easy to do (IMHO) and i think (imagine that....a newbie who thinks he can think....there's trouble in the making) that if you did this it would prevent you having to load everything on the page numerous times each time someone does view a different part of the page....

anyway....if you like my idea i can elaborate more on how it could be done....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

layers? I hope you dont mean layers that is only netscape 4 compatible? That would suck for all the IE and mozilla users :-)

You problably mean frames. This site is using the php-nuke engine. My guess as a php-nuke newbie is that is doesnt support it.

But as a person who knows some stuff about usability I know that frames are a bad thing. :-)
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this is a new suggestion.

Assuming you mean frames...

If I recall, before we went to PHP, SST used frames.

Jeric is always looking for ways to cut back on bandwidth.

Were this a feasible solution it might be something worth looking into. Although if we're not using it now, I have a feeling it has something to do with PHP not liking it.

If by layers you mean the ones Netscape likes, this is yet another thing to ask Jeric. If it indeed doesn't work well with other browsers then we have a problem. Especially since Jeric uses Opera to view this site and I use Firebird (let alone our mulitude of IE users).

So masakiryoko, where's your photo for the Sexy contest, eh? Wink
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:57 am   Post subject: Re: yo cocles...got a potential suggestion for you.... Reply with quote

masakiryoko wrote:
granted you may (more than likely) have had this suggestion presented to you....however...i'm gonna be the stupid newbie and suggest it anyway.....well..here goes....

*sniffs*

I can tellright now that I am going to like you masakiryoko! You are willing to admit that you may not know everything. Welcome to the family!
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It finally happened.... I can't believe it... Cocles has finally sucked up all the arrogance in the world Wink. Example for the first time we have a newbie with humility... I just can't believe it (shakes head and walks away)
sarbear
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

Member#: 297

sarbear is offline View user's profile Send private message sarbear's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly by layers we are referring to div tags? I know dreamweaver likes to call them layers. I was confused by this at first when I was first introduced to them. Includes could also be used effectively. I don't know if php supports them, but I assume it does. Much better than frames though, IMHO.
Commander
Commander

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thought there Sar. I don't think any of us thought of that. Myself I have little to no web programming experience so I could not hazzard an opinion as to the merits of div tags but if they are a good alternative and they are supported then we should look into them.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

Member#: 297

sarbear is offline View user's profile Send private message sarbear's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Div tags are more of a different way of laying out the page, not necessarily used like it was being suggested.

I'm just trying to guess what the original poster was referring to.
Commander
Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am inclined to agree with Cal then on this. What was "probably" meant was either Netscape layers or Frames that refress at different speeds or not at all.

Either way, like I said I have never done a web page sooooo, I will now back out as gracefully as I can from this thread.
Ensign

Inuki is offline View user's profile Send private message Inuki's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

actually you are correct sar, i was referring to the use of div tags. sorry, i had always just called them layers since that was predominately what i used them for.

however, (php allowing) we could possibly speed up the loading of the page in general with the use of them.

<edit>
<---- yeay....i've been promoted....when do i get my pay raise??
</edit>

AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
So masakiryoko, where's your photo for the Sexy contest, eh? Wink

right here....

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that I said photo... Confused
Inuki
Ensign
Ensign

AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

i'll post one as soon as i can get a camera from work....

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

pink hair and big eyes. ggggggrrrrrrrhhh baby lol Very Happy
Ensign

AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

runs away fearful for his life.....

Jump to: