StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

[Remove] Chess in Concert
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 

What should we do with this album?
Keep it - "It's Where I Want [it] to Be"
39%
 39%  [ 11 ]
Lose it - It's "Someone Else's Story"
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
Maybe I'm on "Nobody's Side"
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
I don't think we need to worry about hurting feelings or losing future donations.

i think you do. im from the uk and i do my best to send jeric cd's i think are suitable for the station. cause sst has a great library, i try to find harder to get cd's that end up costing more than the usual chart albums. i mean posting to the USA isnt cheap. i know i'd be hurt.

i do agree that people should contact jeric and the forums to see if the cd would be suitable for donating before hand in the first place.

perhaps as a new rule, we can say any future cd's that feature broadway music should be under consideration than a no brainer before accepting / posting to the station. the poll suggests that are those that want to keep the cd. so i guess we should, atleast for this cd [in my view].
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyrider, I wasn't referring to personal donor's feelings. I'm referring to the companies that sometimes send us stuff. I refuse to worry about the feelings of a corporation.

Yes, some people want to keep it. I like that they like the album, but it's not appropriate for this station. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Joyrider, I wasn't referring to personal donor's feelings. I'm referring to the companies that sometimes send us stuff. I refuse to worry about the feelings of a corporation.

sorry Lady, i feel like an arse now Sad

by alchemist: language
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like having vocal music scattered amongst the instrumentals (and let's not forget the many "instrumentals" which use the human voice .... including those LOTR tracks that are amongst the most played on here). I know JERIC frequently removes song tracks from some albums but there are still quite a lot on here, so I don't think being all-song is any reason to remove this album.

Number of tracks : 43 is hardly a problem when we have recently all heard the NUT-cracking on Okami (or whatever it's called) that has 150 plus tracks across 4 CDs. And if we did start to limit due to size of tracks where would the limit be? 42? 30? 10?

Which brings us back to the primary question mark over this album - it's from a concert, rather than a film/tv show/game, so should it be here? As other's have pointed out, there are other conert albums (although of music from films/shows/games) on here. Also, the video of this concert has been shown on television. There is a lot of overlap between stage musicals and films/tv - many successful musicals have been made into films, so their ST could (and in many cases are) legitimately be on here - equally there is the trend of successful films being made into stage-shows (Shrek, Lion King etc) And how many people would want to place bets against Hollywood making a film of Chess in the near future (next 5 years)?
So I feel this is a legitimate album for this site, and have voted accordingly.

Last edited by Dragonel on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonel wrote:
And how many people would want to place bets against Hollywood making a film of Chess in the near future (next 5 years)?

I would. This musical has a very troubled history. The book has been rewritten many times, and while there are dedicated fans of the score, the period setting, book difficulties make it tough to stage, and I don't think there will ever be a movie of it, certainly not in the next 5 years. This may be the closest the Chessnuts are going to get, this concert. I think they are poorly served by it. And if this is ever made into a movie, we can get THAT soundtrack. We don't need this one.

Heck, why not add the soundtrack for Company? It was broadcast on PBS, after all. Or Light in the Piazza, Into the Woods, or any of the shows that were taped and put on PBS? I don't think any of these is appropriate here, or where we should be spending our money. This was a donation, very nice, but as I've said before, we can't add EVERY donation.
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:

Heck, why not add the soundtrack for Company? It was broadcast on PBS, after all. Or Light in the Piazza, Into the Woods, or any of the shows that were taped and put on PBS? I don't think any of these is appropriate here, or where we should be spending our money.

I'd be fine with adding Company etc
Making the distinction between music to tell a story which happens to have been celluloid (or digital these days) and music to tell a story which happens to be on stage seems very arbitrary to me anyway. I love soundtracks - just because it was a "staged" soundtrack doesn't bar it from the genre IMO.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been removed.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: