StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Split Track #11 from Orchestral Game Concert 4 album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:22 pm   Post subject: Split Track #11 from Orchestral Game Concert 4 album Reply with quote

I am not a fan of splitting tracks, but SST has already set a precedent by splitting several long tracks in the past (for example: Hush, K2, Bulworth, Crimson Tide, etc) which is why I am proposing that Track #11 (Final Fantasy 6: The Dream Oath, Maria and Draku) from the Orchestral Game Concert 4 be split into several tracks given its 23 minute length. Here is the link to the album in the SST playlist.

If the arguement is No on this proposal, then I propose that all tracks that have been split be put back together as the artist intended them to be on the album and I am well aware the issues that long tracks can cause especially with long queue lengths.

A third option, the most extreme option and one I think isn't necessary, is the removal of long tracks (20+ min tracks).

I don't think there is much of a middle ground between these three options if there is to be any consistency and this takes into account the precedence set here at SST already. I personally would support putting all tracks back together and have them be as they are on the albums, but given the history regarding this situation it would seem that the more likely option would be to go ahead and split track #11 from the Orchestral Game Concert 4 album into several shorter tracks.

So, what say you?
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. I myself don't care about this particular track, but splitting it up might be a good idea. I just hope it doesn't cause a precedent of splitting tracks over ten minutes. Prolly wouldn't, of course.

At least it was requested on a Sunday afternoon when the queue was pretty short anyway.

How about setting up a poll, nate?
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Hrm. I myself don't care about this particular track, but splitting it up might be a good idea. I just hope it doesn't cause a precedent of splitting tracks over ten minutes. Prolly wouldn't, of course.

At least it was requested on a Sunday afternoon when the queue was pretty short anyway.

How about setting up a poll, nate?

I'm not advocating splitting tracks over ten minutes. In fact, I am ideally looking for those tracks that have been split to be put back together, but I understand that is not the most likely thing to happen which is why I proposed the idea of splitting this track. Just mainly looking for a little consistency and I am just talking about tracks over 20 min (even though some tracks that were shorter than 20+ min have been split).

When it was requested wasn't as big a deal as establishing a bit of consistency. Some tracks get split, some don't......some stuff is added, some isn't, etc.

LadyInque, generally I am not a fan of polls unless it is just for voting on if something should be added or not to the playlist and even then I am not the biggest fan of them. It is a very passive way of getting feedback, and I would much rather someone take the time (especially if they are passionate one way or another) to substantiate their feelings on the subject matter by putting something together and posting it. That way I can understand the reasoning behind why someone feels a certain way instead of just having to assume how a person feels based on the leanings of a poll Wink
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't hear the track in question, so don't have a clear take on this one in particular. But in general, if a track is basically two pieces of music that have been merged either for the CD (or concert in this case), or because that was the way it worked out in the movie (scenes flowing one into another), with a fairly obvious break-point in the middle, then I"m happy for that to be split.
But I don't like the idea of splitting long tracks purely because of their length. It does reduce the inconvenience to other listeners and if I'm exploring, I'm more likely to pick a <8 min track. But as pointed out by someone on the discussion of allowing long-tracks when the queue is long, if that is the way the track was written, then let's retain the artistic vision.

And while I'm generally in favour of consistency, there seems very little consistency at SST in terms of which vocal tracks are kept or removed from an album, or even in the rules for inclusion (or removal) of albums, so I don't see "doing it for consistency" unless there is actually a rule laid out (all tracks over 20 mins or all tracks over 10 mins with two names separated by a comma or semi-colon, etc)
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It is done. One of the things I look for is if there is a break in the song that I can take advantage of, and that is what I did in this case.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: