StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

"Streamlining"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:47 am   Post subject: "Streamlining" Reply with quote

We have made changes to the Listen page recently. They include:

- MP3 streams have been removed (except Live365).
- 64k Ogg & 64k WMA have been removed.
- 128k & 64k combined into one column.
- Window Media streams have no HTML by default but can click the logo to get the Chat, Now Playing, Queue/Played inside.
- Updated the notes.

Now that iTunes and RealPlayer support aacPlus, it is a no-brainer for us to take advantage of this. If you use any of these players, please upgrade to the latest version.

We removed 64k Ogg & 64k WMA because we believe there are 2 practical choices: either a low bandwidth option or high quality. Few people want in-between and Windows Media Guide only displays 2 options as well (128k & 32k).

Anything in the 64k/128k listen options are close to CD Quality regardless of their bitrate. Anyone who listens to 64k aacPlus can testify to its superiority. 32k aacPlus is incredible too.

When choosing an option for Windows Media Player, you will see a logo to click if you want the Chat, Now Playing, Queue/Played to load inside of the player.

Ogg will be leaving us soon too. So we will only support WMA and aacPlus in the future.

By consolidating our streams, it will give us higher placement in radio directories, thus giving us more listeners. We are saving a lot of money in bandwidth fees and some server resources as well.

If anyone has any questions or issues listening, please post them here.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Kman
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 25395

Kman is offline View user's profile Send private message View Kman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:18 am   Post subject: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a netwo... Reply with quote

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that my problem has anything to do with the "streamlining", but... *shrug*

Usually I used to listen to the 128k or 64k mp3 stream with Winamp. Used to work fine 99 times out of a hundred.

Now I'd like to use the "CD Quality" aacPlus stream. Problem is, it buffers for up to a minute, and then it plays what is has buffered (at least that's the impression I have) and buffers again. Rinse and repeat. Let's just say it's not a very pleasant listening experience. Rolling Eyes

I tend to switch to the 32k stream then, and while it's not what I'd call awful, it doesn't sound quite as good.

What I'd like to know is what the problem is. I have a broadband internet connection, the streams used to work just fine, and I didn't change any settings.

So what gives? Sad
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally clicked on the Windows Media Player WMA links in Firefox and got an SST page with a blank frame in the middle that is playing the stream directly (without WMP running). This stopped playing when I changed the page so I needed to open the queue/chat in another tab, and even then I could only change the volume by changing the overall volume settings of my computer.

So I went to IE, selected the same link which did open the stream in WMP, and saved the stream to a playlist so I can re-access it easily. However, now if I click on the "click here to view the chat etc" button, it doesn't do anything and I have to open the playlist page in Firefox (or IE) to see the queue & chat.

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:15 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a netwo... Reply with quote

Kman wrote:
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.

Did you try any of the new listen links?
http://loudcity.com/stations/streamingsoundtracks-com/files/show/index.htm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
I'm not sure that my problem has anything to do with the "streamlining", but... *shrug*

Usually I used to listen to the 128k or 64k mp3 stream with Winamp. Used to work fine 99 times out of a hundred.

Now I'd like to use the "CD Quality" aacPlus stream. Problem is, it buffers for up to a minute, and then it plays what is has buffered (at least that's the impression I have) and buffers again. Rinse and repeat. Let's just say it's not a very pleasant listening experience. Rolling Eyes

I tend to switch to the 32k stream then, and while it's not what I'd call awful, it doesn't sound quite as good.

What I'd like to know is what the problem is. I have a broadband internet connection, the streams used to work just fine, and I didn't change any settings.

So what gives? Sad

The 64k aacPlus is not experiencing any problems. Try connecting directly to hi.streamingsoundtracks.com in your player and let me know what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonel wrote:
I originally clicked on the Windows Media Player WMA links in Firefox and got an SST page with a blank frame in the middle that is playing the stream directly (without WMP running). This stopped playing when I changed the page so I needed to open the queue/chat in another tab, and even then I could only change the volume by changing the overall volume settings of my computer.

So I went to IE, selected the same link which did open the stream in WMP, and saved the stream to a playlist so I can re-access it easily. However, now if I click on the "click here to view the chat etc" button, it doesn't do anything and I have to open the playlist page in Firefox (or IE) to see the queue & chat.

Your FF is not configured to handle the .asx metalfile.

In FF, go to Tools > Options > Applications Tab >
See if there is audio/asx or video/asf in there then assign it to Windows Media Player.

USA Kman
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a netwo... Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Kman wrote:

Sorry, part of the error message is in French, and clicking on any WMP listen link doesn't launch WMP anymore.

Détails de l’erreur de la page Web

Agent utilisateur : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Horodateur : Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:38:22 UTC

Ligne : 84
Caractère : 1
Code : 0
URI : http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/includes/Base64_Utf8_objects.js?version=2
USA Kman
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a netwo... Reply with quote

Kman wrote:
JERIC wrote:
Kman wrote:

Sorry, part of the error message is in French, and clicking on any WMP listen link doesn't launch WMP anymore.

Détails de l’erreur de la page Web

Agent utilisateur : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4; OfficeLivePatch.1.3)
Horodateur : Tue, 3 Nov 2009 21:38:22 UTC

Ligne : 84
Caractère : 1
Code : 0
URI : http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/includes/Base64_Utf8_objects.js?version=2

Problem resolved! Sorry, file types in WMP got switched off, probably by another audio player, I don't remember when.
Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:

The 64k aacPlus is not experiencing any problems. Try connecting directly to hi.streamingsoundtracks.com in your player and let me know what happens.

Did that. Still buffers for an age and a half, plays maybe a minute of music, then buffers again.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the redesigned streams, so if the 64k aacPlus stream works fine for everyone else... it's probably not your problem.

Though if a brilliant solution springs fully formed into your head... please share. Wink
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:

Your FF is not configured to handle the .asx metalfile.

In FF, go to Tools > Options > Applications Tab >
See if there is audio/asx or video/asf in there then assign it to Windows Media Player.

Great - works now, thx.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
JERIC wrote:

Did that. Still buffers for an age and a half, plays maybe a minute of music, then buffers again.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the redesigned streams, so if the 64k aacPlus stream works fine for everyone else... it's probably not your problem.

Though if a brilliant solution springs fully formed into your head... please share. Wink

Try the aacPlus in 2 different players and see if there is a difference. There could be some buffer settings that may need to be addressed.

Germany alien_avatar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... whining seems to work! Shocked

On this day, Day One in the Year of The-Problem-That-Went-Away-For-Whatever-Reason, AKA Nov 4, 2009, my problem with the 64k aacPlus stream went away for.. whatever reason.

The stream works perfectly today, so maybe my connection had a migraine or whatever. One less headache for you, JERIC... that's a good thing, I hope.

I seriously appreciate your efforts at solving my mystery problem, though. Smile
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
Wow... whining seems to work! Shocked

On this day, Day One in the Year of The-Problem-That-Went-Away-For-Whatever-Reason, AKA Nov 4, 2009, my problem with the 64k aacPlus stream went away for.. whatever reason.

LOL Or maybe your player was updated... I had similar sounding problems with 64k aacPlus stream a while back, and I think the player update was reason that they went away (I also downloaded the link file again and removed all older links)... Anyway, I'm glad the stream works for you now. Very Happy
USA Luther_III
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And on another note...

I see iTunes finally went aacPlus-compatible. Yay for them, if only about four years too late.

Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: