StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

See who has "favorited" tracks in a given album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Would you like to see more information about favorites available?
Yes, any way you can add information would be good
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
I'd like to see favorite information by album
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Just expand the 100 list so I can see the tracks selected most
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
I'd like to see this in other people's favorites lists
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Who cares? I'm only interested in my own favorites
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 pm   Post subject: See who has "favorited" tracks in a given album Reply with quote

Currently when you look at your favorites you can see who else has picked a track as a favorite. Likewise under the Top 100 you can see the tracks and albums which have been selected as favorites the most. However there is no way to browse around the tracks and get a feeling for which ones people have picked.
In particular, I'd like to be able to do this on an album, so when you are exploring a new album you could see which tracks people like. Granted you can see which tracks have been played the most, but sometimes that just highlights the "main themes" where everyone has sampled the title to see what it's like - and moreover can then be self-perpetuating.

Alternatively, it may be easier to either expand the Top 100 favorite track list to show all of the tracks which have been marked favorite to let people browse through and look for other popular tracks.

Another option would be to use the code that let's you see who else has picked a track on your favorites list to allow you to see that on everybody's (public) favorites lists. This would be more cumbersome in checking out how popular a given track is - but would at least let you see whether a track is just this person's favorite, or is generally popular.

I don't know how much work would be involved, but as the favorites information is available, I would expect the last two option at least to be pretty easy to implement.
Portugal NanM
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 16245

NanM is offline View user's profile Send private message View NanM's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really liked this favorites feature to begin with.
I know that is nice to play someone favorite or pick a favorite from your own list and know what others like, but don't get me wrong, much of the nowadays queue playlist is generally more and more made by a "playlist-of-members-requested-favorite-tracks", rather then a streaming radio station where every track can be played with equal request chances. And the fact that favorite tracks tend to be more popular, therefore more played, but with a subsequently less diverse playlist, where more obscure or lesser known tracks are getting less playtime, at the expense of favorites.
And if we take into account the fact that non-VIP's can choose a list of 100 tracks and VIP's up to two, three or four hundred tracks, it doesn't help either to generate a diverse and varied playlist (at least on USA day time), which is something that SST always was or still is.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand NanM's concern about the variety on this station, though I disagree that every track should be given an equal chance at being played. Some tracks are just dogs and should be let to lie. And I realize that with my reviews, I may be contributing to the problem, though I try to recommend less-popular tracks that I think are worthy of a listen. Of course, that's only if anyone listens to me. Maybe NanM should write some reviews, to highlight some favorite obscure tracks. Then again, that might just be the opposite of what NanM wants. Sigh.

Some stuff is just going to be popular, with or without the Favorites feature. And that stuff is going to keep getting played. I wonder if we have any hard data on the effects of the favorites feature of playlist diversity.

So in the interests of satisfying no one, I think that everyone should write more reviews, especially for the obscurer stuff. If there's a track you love that no one seems to hear about, tell us about it! Maybe the rest of the album is dross; tell us that, too! And if no one's reviewed the album, you have the satisfaction of screaming FIRST! like they do in some forums I've seen.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.
How to say this...

While it would be vaguely interesting to see how many people favorited a given track, I don't think that that particular piece of information means all that much.
So what if a thousand people love "Happy Feet", when you, personally, still can't stand it?
Or whether member X is the only person to have favorited track Y?
Many tracks will have gotten a little love from someone, at least that's what I think.
So I'm not sure that knowing who or how many people favorited a track is useful for much of anything.

As for finding new personal favorites that way... you might, or you might not *shrug*. What makes a person like or loathe a piece of music can't be expressed in numbers.

At least that's what I think. Wink
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

alien_avatar wrote:
What makes a person like or loathe a piece of music can't be expressed in numbers.

Hear, hear, alien! Well put.
UK Dragonel VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
alien_avatar wrote:
What makes a person like or loathe a piece of music can't be expressed in numbers.

Hear, hear, alien! Well put.
I agree that just because someone else (or many someone elses) like a track doesn't mean I will [although the similarity of taste in tracks between myself & Victor is scary Shocked]

But given the sheer quantity of tracks and albums available on SST to explore, it's nice to have some idea of what others think, and I would find it useful at an album level. Picking what everyone else likes may not be what finally becomes my favorite track on that album, but it'll usually give me a good feel for what the album is like overall and if I'm likely to be interested or not.

Of course, I get a chance to hear a lot of what people like while I am online, but that's only valid for the people who are requesting during the times I listen (at work usually), there are many others who are online in what is my evenings, nights and weekends whose opinion I would also like to know.

And on another angle, I like poking through the lists and seeing what is popular and what isn't, and what is becoming more popular or less so over time. But maybe I'm just a statistics geek Smile Or maybe it's just one more thing to look at when I should be working.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if a track is a favorite of someone's, if its not my favorite, that won't grab my attention. I'd be more interested on what people think of the whole album, so I look at album ratings...not individual tracks. Take for example Hisaishi's Spirited Away album. "The Sixth Station" is by far the most popular track on the album, but the album is so much more than that one track. Wink This site is "Streaming Soundtracks" not "Streaming The Best of" after all.
Germany NessySheep
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 21914

NessySheep is offline View user's profile Send private message View NessySheep's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for "Yes, any way you can add information would be good"
because i like to know who else shares my taste and if I see a name on that list very often, i'll check out those persons favourites, because maybe i could find some new favs for me Smile
Brazil Pesadelo VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 19747

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put Dragonel's suggestions on projects forum to give them proper attention in the near future.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: