StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Original Soundtrack vs. A Remake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA AdamR
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:46 am   Post subject: The Original Soundtrack vs. A Remake Reply with quote

What is SST's policy on an original soundtrack and a remake of the same music? Do you put up both when they are both sent/given to SST for the playlist?

Mainly the reason I'm writing this topic is because two album favorites of mine by John Barry, Out of Africa and Somewhere in Time are in SST's playlist, however, both albums are re-recordings, and not the original soundtrack as you may have heard in the film (and I'm a bit of a nut for the originals whenever possible). Wink
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In some cases the originals aren't available. Other times the remake is of superior quality. I'm not sure if that's the case here or not.

jeff
sdg
simonmathew
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 30165

simonmathew is offline View user's profile Send private message simonmathew's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It spoil the original classic sound track. That's my thought.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a lot of personal experience with the difference between original soundtracks and re-recordings. Of course, that has never stopped anyone from chiming in on a debate, has it?

I know that there are some original soundtracks that aren't of very good quality. A re-recording can take advantage of more modern recording techniques and so forth. The original soundtrack for Fantasia, for example, sounds dated and horrible.

Besides, aren't a lot of soundtracks re-recordings from the word go? I mean, I understand that Bear McCreary re-records all the Battlestar Galactica score for the CDs (correct me if I'm wrong). I think that's why it can take so long for a score album to be released; the music is being re-recorded.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 16245

NanM is offline View user's profile Send private message View NanM's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
Besides, aren't a lot of soundtracks re-recordings from the word go?

Re-recordings were common in the era of Vinyl, but because of time limitations of the format which normally is less than the amount of music used in the movie, the composers made new recordings exclusively for the purpose of a soundtrack release, so then most of the time these recordings present the music slightly distinct (e.g. out of chronological order, in concert suite tracks, at different tempo and orchestration, etc.), as it was recorded and heard in the movie.
Nowadays and since the advent of the CD, it is possible to record and add much more music, as compared to LP, so normally the music present on the CD's are the same as the recorded for the movies, unless when odd cases like on Jablonsky's Transformers soundtrack, where the music on CD is full of alternative versions of the music, than the ones used on the movie and on the leaked bootleg copies. Go figure.

Quote:
I mean, I understand that Bear McCreary re-records all the Battlestar Galactica score for the CDs (correct me if I'm wrong). I think that's why it can take so long for a score album to be released; the music is being re-recorded.

I don't think the music was re-recorded such in the same way as like in Out of Africa, to name an example of a re-recording previously mentioned on the topic, or like in the most recent Conan re-recording.
The possible reasons behind the albums of Battlestar Galactica took so long to be released on CD, were because of the inclusion of the music from the many different episodes. So to create a CD release for season 1, was inevitable to wait until the season ended, and thus for season 2 and so on. So instead of a soundtrack release with only the music from the pilot episode, the Battlestar Galactica CD's are a compilation of the best of music from the various seasons.
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

NanM wrote:
I don't think the music was re-recorded such in the same way as like in Out of Africa, to name an example of a re-recording previously mentioned on the topic, or like in the most recent Conan re-recording.
The possible reasons behind the albums of Battlestar Galactica took so long to be released on CD, were because of the inclusion of the music from the many different episodes. So to create a CD release for season 1, was inevitable to wait until the season ended, and thus for season 2 and so on.

Thank you for the informative post! I think, though, that many score soundtracks still present music in suites, and out of order, so re-recording is still very much going on.

Ah, here's what Bear said about this. You can find the blog entry here.
Bear McCreary wrote:
With each album, I lavish weeks (and sometimes months) re-recording, re-mixing, editing and mastering to provide the ultimate BG listening experience.

So it's not the same as the recent re-recording of classic scores like Conan, but it's still not the version of the music you heard in the film, even if you really need to be an aural detective to find the differences.
USA AdamR
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 26242

AdamR is offline View user's profile Send private message View AdamR's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, someone bumped one of my old posts.

Thanks, NamM for the information on why re-recordings may take place. It does make sense in the digital age that we are given the opportunity to hear more of the music of a film and alternate versions, that may be remixed or re-recorded. That I understand.

Quote:
I know that there are some original soundtracks that aren't of very good quality. A re-recording can take advantage of more modern recording techniques and so forth. The original soundtrack for Fantasia, for example, sounds dated and horrible.

Point taken...I no longer own that album because I couldn't stand the quality of it. The re-recording in the 1980s is impossible to find anywhere, so maybe someone will try to. Or fans can just go find the classical pieces online, as they have been recorded countless times over. That would be ok too in my case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: