StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Just good trivia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

From the 1500s:
Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath
in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor.
Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the
house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons
and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the
babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.
Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water..
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

Member#: 21134

Leviathan12 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Leviathan12's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewww... Confused
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Home Remedies Who knew?

Did you know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional pain relievers?

Did you know that Colgate Toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 tablespoon horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly-even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes...cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus: Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine Mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection...to prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear Nail Polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer...if menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover: Just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's Tomato Paste boil cure...cover the boil with Hunt's Tomato Paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters...to disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine, a powerful antiseptic.

Vinegar to heal bruises...soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief...it's not for breakfast any more! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Eliminate ear mites. All it takes is a few drops of Wesson Corn Oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn Dish washing Liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor: Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 pm   Post subject: Flimgos Reply with quote

SST has a great CD called The
Les Ailes Pourpres: Le Mystere Des Flamants, by the Cinematic Orchestra. Every time it plays those in chat comment about the birds. They are so neat. I was trying to think of how to share some photos of them. They are so splended. So I thought Hmmm some trivia facts about them and then some photos.
Add photos if you find them, we can never have enough.

The Flamingo, a large wading bird, lives in big, shallow lakes, lagoons, mangrove swamps, tidal flats, and on sandy islands above the low tide mark.
They are found in Africa, Asia, North America, Central America, South America, and Europe.
Flamingos can live in hot volcanic lakes and in icy lakes in the Andean mountains.

Adult flamingos range from 3.3 to 4.6 feet tall and weigh 3.3 to 9 pounds depending on their species.
Wingspans range from 3.3 to 5 feet.
There are 6 species of flamingo.

Their pink or reddish color comes from the algae, diatoms, and small crustaceans the birds eat.

* Flamingos eat with their head upside down in the water, so they can suck water and food in with the front of their bill. Mud and water drain out the back of the bill.
Flamingos hold their breath when feeding.

Flamingos run to gather speed when taking off.
They flap their wings almost continuously in flight.
They fly when startled.
The speed of a flock can reach 31 to 37 miles per hour.

Grown flamingos have few natural predators.

Flamingos live an average of 20 to 30 years.

They rest by standing on one leg. The “knee” of the flamingo is actually an ankle joint and the lower leg bends forward.

Nests are built up by mouthfuls of mud!

Males and females look alike.

The Andean flamingo has yellow legs and feet.

Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:21 pm   Post subject: Flamingos II Reply with quote

Had to have her in our collection.
VERY RARE BIRD FOR SURE
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Before

AFTER Bird Flu

Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures Cin! Flamingos are such fascinating birds for sure! I like the fact that they eat upside down!! lol *would choke on her food that way*

Thanks for posting!! Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: