StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Randy Newman - Seabiscuit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Trinity3777
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 124

Trinity3777 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Trinity3777's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:43 pm   Post subject: Randy Newman - Seabiscuit Reply with quote

Ok...so i'm way early, but I have to ask. How does everyone like Randy Newman's chances of winning best score for Seabiscuit? He's never won an oscar based on his score alone, he only won for the song in Monsters Inc. Isn't number 10, Red's First Win awesome?
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy has had some outstanding scores throughout the years. Some that I clearly thought were exemplary, but you gotta wonder whats in the politics out there that he never wins. Kinda reminds me of Susan Lucci on All My Children...what was it...like 19 years in a row she was nominated and finally won...something like that.

Take 1990 for instance...Randy did a brilliant score for "avalon" but it wasnt a great movie..but the music was, I thought much more moving and creative than what won...Dances with Wolves (John Barry).

Then fast forward to 1998. You had John Williams nominated for Saving Private Ryan, Hans Zimmer for The Thin Red LIne and Randy Newman for Pleasantville..but none of them won..Nicola Piovani wins for "Life is Beautiful"..HUH??

Then in 2000...though Randy wasnt nominated, you had Williams (The Patriot), Rachel Portman (Chocolat), and Hans Zinner (Gladiator)..which was the Best Movie. But none won...Tau Dun wins for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

I could go on and on..but there is no rhyme or reason who wins..sometimes it falls to a tremendously popular film, sometimes its out of the blue.

When it comes to oscars, it rarely has to do with how great the music is...for that matter..any oscar is rarely about the merit, more like..who did you suck up to this year lol.

But one thing is for sure...we should continue to enjoy his music, whether he gets a statue or not.

Kork
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

very well said korkster. The academy has it's own criteria for awarding the little golden action figures that we mere humans are not privy too. The true award for the composer though is the accalim from the people who like and listen to the soundtrack. The action figure is nice but...
Ensign

Member#: 108

XTReactorVX is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XTReactorVX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Newman does have a strange style, to me at least. His works in In the Bedroom and Shawshank Redemption were foreign to me.

BTW In The Bedroom is a movie I could have lived w/o seeing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: