StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Linux console players

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:39 pm   Post subject: Linux console players Reply with quote

Never thought I'd ask for help, cause I can always figure it out myself... but there's always the exception Smile

My desktop computer has decided not to work anymore... And that was the only computer running SST at home. The only other way I can listen to SST is through my laptop, but the sound from that isn't good at all. Do anyone know of a good linux MP3 player that support streams and are console based (since I don't have a monitor hooked up to my server, and I don't have X-Windows installed either) so that I can listen again? It doesn't need to have MP3Pro support, but it sure would be nice if it did.

I really need to get the stream back... I'm getting tired of my CDs Smile
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mpg123.de/

that is where me support ends Cool the rest is up to you
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I already had that installed... Obviously didn't read the man-pages very good Very Happy
It did support streams, but I was unable to connect to SST Sad Sendt an email to the developer and hope he'll give me the answer I want Smile
But thanks anyway
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chandler...

I just went through this on my home Linux system so I can tell you at least what I did.

I am running Red Hat 9 at home, using the KDE desktop. Linux comes with an application called XMMS which appears on the GNOME or KDE desktop under Sound and Video, as Audio Player.

Thats the right one, but some distributions of Linux wont include the MP3 encoder for it because of licensing issues. You'll need to go to www.gurulabs.com/download.com and download the RPMs for the MP3 plugins for XMMS. There are three files I think you have to get...all with RPM extensions. Save them to your own directory. Then start a terminal session and do an RPM -Uh <name of file>.
That will install them.

Now, use the Konqueror Web browser and navigate to SST and click the MP3PRO 64k stream. Its a shoutcast stream sending a PLS format. That SHOULD automatically open your XMMS and you should be able to hear the stream. If the XMMS application doesnt pop up, then you dont have the PLS file assocaited with the application.

In the KDE desktop you can do this by using the Command Center. Im not sure what you do in GNOME.

One downside, is that the Thompson people that have the MP3PRO plugin for Winamp havent made an open source one, so you can only listen at 22Mhz (suck). But its better than nothing at all. You'll find XMMS pretty much like Winamp.

Feel free to post here or email me directly if you have questions.

Korky
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For future listeners with similar problems, it'd be better if you kept this on the forum so we all could benefit from your wisdom. Wink
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
For future listeners with similar problems, it'd be better if you kept this on the forum so we all could benefit from your wisdom. ;)

Yeah but Korkster uses XMMS and that is an X-application. And Chandler already told in his post that he cant run X-applications on his machine. Nice post, but no solution ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: