StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

A little promotion for myself ^^
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 am   Post subject: A little promotion for myself ^^ Reply with quote

*cough cough* Razz

So I finally sat my *** down and did some newbie work with Windows Movie Maker etc. in order to produce some hopefully useful videos of my compositions.
There'll be probably coming more in the future (also perhaps some of my older works that have a completely different style than what I write today). Wink

Trio per piccolini (2005) (= Trio for the little ones)
I was about 20 when I wrote this during my military service...

Abschied (Farewell) for woodwind trio & string quartet (2009)
This one I wrote last year and also conducted the premiere performance...

Prope Ludium (2009) (= almost a Lude)
This piece has been written in less than 10 days for a concert cycle and was completed one day before the concert itself.
Thankfully I had some wonderful musicians performing this, so this turned out to be one of the best recordings of my music that I have Smile

conundrum for 7 violins (2010)
and this new piece (premiered last Tuesday) I'm going to conduct next weeks friday myself ^^ (the video of it: here!)

Hope you enjoy it!
Also please feel free to let me know what you think about it Smile

*edit: Phantasy for violin and piano (2005)

"Rückblick, Einsicht, Ausblick" ("Retrospect, Insight, Prospect") for Baritone Solo & Chamber Ensemble (2007)

Episodes for violoncello & doublebass (2010)

Lunch Break - Ending Scene with new music (2011)

N-IGMA ELECTRONICA (2007)

Music for short film "Duell" / used & unused tracks (2008)

Safe House - Chase Scene (rescored), Hollywood Music Workshop Klosterneuburg 2012

Last edited by bpewien on Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 am; edited 9 times in total
USA Techie-Micheal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 8994

Techie-Micheal is offline View user's profile Send private message View Techie-Micheal's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Not my style though, unfortunately. Have anything that's not quite as ... dark?
Captain

aw

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Techie: Well, that depends of what you think of "dark". I've written several "lighter" pieces as well, but from most of them I don't have a (good) recording and therefore no possibility to upload them so far.
Also for instance I wouldn't describe my music as particularly dark (especially the "Trio per piccolini" ^^), but you're right that some of these pieces have a more serious tone. Wink

Little Update:
Phantasy for violin and piano (2005)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 4272

Alchemist is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Alchemist's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing bpewien!

Hope there is more to come Smile
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like, Alchemist
As soon as I have more resources, there'll come more ^^
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 21194

Haino is offline View user's profile Send private message View Haino's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Last edited by Haino on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your input and that really detailed resumee, Haino Smile
I appreciate it greatly! Very Happy

I'm happy that no one seems to get bored by my music Razz
That's something that is even worse than dislike or depreciation, if someone just finds it plain boring ^^

(But to be honest, I've done some pieces with more advanced playing techniques, including the piano stuff you mentioned, but there are either no recordings of it or the quality isn't good enough to upload them now Wink - still I think many of them were good pieces)

As soon as I have a new video upload, I'll post the link!
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Update
(I really need to make more videos Wink )

"Rückblick, Einsicht, Ausblick" ("Retrospect, Insight, Prospect") for Baritone Solo & Chamber Ensemble (2007)

It's an older piece of mine, but I personally consider this one of my best works. It even includes a little, very well hidden Jerry Goldsmith hommage. I am curious of what you think!
(I know the lyrics are in german, but I'm trying to find a good translation of the text...)
The first performance of this piece (which I've written in 2 weeks back in summer 2007) occured on October 6th, 2007 at the Vienna Concert House.

Last edited by bpewien on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness!!!

How exciting.
I am listening to Little Update:
Phantasy for violin and piano (2005)
right now as I do email.

If congratulations are in order then they are yours.
If a job well done is better stated, then it is spoken.
If A laurel wreath is best bestowed, here are three!
I can only listen and enjoy.
You write the music.
thank you for sharing.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The first minute or so reminded me of LOST. It definitely had a score-like feel to me, very full of emotion. Perhaps it's because I'm pre-disposed to scores, though. In any event, very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

jeff
sdg
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Cinder & j2!

It's alright to have associations with something you know well. That's how we build connections to new things Wink

And Cinder, you're a true poet Very Happy
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
I've added a rough english translation of the german lyrics I've been using for this piece in the video annotations. Of course it doesn't reach the same high level as the original, but I tried my best to submit the meaning of it.
I'm curious what you think now that you hopefully can understand it a little bit better. Wink
Commander
Commander

Member#: 10621

Luther_III is offline View user's profile Send private message View Luther_III's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your work, bp! I just listened to "Rückblick, Einsicht, Ausblick." I thought the sparse scoring and absence of steady time signature throughout very effectively invoked the moods you were looking for. The notation seems very complex; I would have no idea how even to begin communicating those avant-garde musical ideas on paper. It seems it would be a very time-consuming process.

It is a 12-tone piece?

Mr. Green
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther, I'm very happy you like it Smile

And no, the piece is not organised in a dodecaphonic (= 12-tone system ala Schönberg) scale. It is so-called free atonality.
But I use a simple 4-note motiv as the signature of this piece (the first time really audible at the string fugato in the middle, but also foreshadowed before).

The notation is in fact very time consuming (especially when using a notation software that basically can't do bars without signature), but I realised you can get way more lively played music which sounds more complex as it actually is to play for the musicians this way, also because of the "controlled improvisation"-element these passages will never sound the same when being performed.

This technique is called "aleatoric" and was especially affected by the compositions of John Cage and Witold Lutoslawski (whom I consider one of the greatest composers of the 20th century).
By using this technique (of repeating patterns) you can get amazing results very fast and don't have to bother with complex calculations etc. (as many modern works tend to be more of a mathematical than musical piece).
The most important part of this style is that the musician mustn't play exactly like the others when given the same pattern/phrase etc.
It can either be constructed by using repeating patterns which are being overlayed with other patterns, or just straightforward playing without caring about the others etc. Razz
"Chance music" as it is also called is very common in filmscoring too. There are many examples where it is used, either partially or completely. Composers like Howard Shore, Don Davis, Bruce Broughton etc. use this technique regularily. (But basically everyone does when necessary Wink)
Captain
Captain

aw

MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update (finally got a better video & audio editing software, so hopefully I will make more videos in the next time Wink )

Episodes for violoncello & doublebass (2010)

It's one of my more experimental pieces, but I think there's still enough "traditional" sound in it at times Razz
I wrote it for a concert cycle at the Natural Historic Museum in Vienna, Austria - organised by a good colleague of mine, Akos Banlaky.
The unusual combination of 2 instruments which are very close to each others sound register was a very big challenge to me, so I tried to work around this "problem" by combining sounds that are not so common, especially on the doublebass.

I'm pretty sure there may be some sounds some of you haven't heard before in that context Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: