StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Opinions wanted... Looking to purchase... GPS system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA NightHawkFan01
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 28964

NightHawkFan01 is offline View user's profile Send private message View NightHawkFan01's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:11 pm   Post subject: Opinions wanted... Looking to purchase... GPS system Reply with quote

What I have:
An Acer laptop w/ Win7 running Streets & Trips 2010. I've got a GPS reciever somewhere that came with S&T 2006 originally. Works. But, laptop is kind of a bit much and don't really want to have it on all the time if all it's doing is running S&T. So I'm looking to get some sort of GPS system.

Normally when I buy stuff like this, I make a list of what I want it to do - the Must Haves - and a list of options - the Would Be Nice If, but not necessary.

I want it to be able to use trips that I've planned with S&T, so I know it's gotta be able to read GPX files. That also means some sort of communication means, via either USB, BlueTooth or SD Card, or WiFi even. After that, I'm not sure what to look for.

Voice guidance is probably OK, but I'm not sure if that's a gotta have. The primary use would be for vacations and longer trips, not so much around town (except at destinations) so I don't think real-time traffic is a necessary deal (although, having grown up in the jungles of the LA-Freeway system, it would definitely be a nice bonus.

I see so many different models out there, and they all seem to be virtually identical. Suggestions? Recommendations on what to get, or just as good, on what NOT to get?

Thanks.
USA BuyerQueen
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had a Garmin since 2005. We love it. I don't know the model # etc, but I can tell you their customer service is outstanding. Our touch screen stopped working after about 2 years and we called them and they replaced the unit with new maps for free even though the warranty had expired.

BQ
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: