StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Zimmer sued by Jay Rifkin; Media Ventures in peril!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Trilobyte
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 58

Trilobyte is offline View user's profile Send private message Trilobyte's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:30 pm   Post subject: Zimmer sued by Jay Rifkin; Media Ventures in peril! Reply with quote

This may be the end to Media Ventures as we know it! Shocked

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/music/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=2046355

The suit reveals the "practice of hiring resident composers who 'ghosted' parts of Zimmer's motion picture scores, with Zimmer receiving main-title composer credit and keeping 'the lion's share' of the fees." It also says that Zimmer approached several of the resident composers and encouraged them to break their ties with Media Ventures and in some cases rescind their current contracts!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 14

gecko is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website gecko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

o_O... respect.. decreasing..
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to remember that there are two sides to every law suit. I'll be especially interested in seeing the countersuit.

To be honest, I'm gonna doubt that this will do much of anything in the long run, except possibly allow Zimmer to shed some excess baggage and take with him who he really wants.

Ahmm..by the way...this is done all the time in the business world, why the hubbub???

LOL
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm a Zimmer-fan, I'd liked to hear Rifkin's side of the story.
I don't know who is right. But it's tragic how this relationship has come to an end Confused
Lieutenant

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Many times, no one is "right". Just that people grow apart and their focus changes. I'm a little suspicious at Rifkin, bringing the suit, because it sounds like sour grapes to me. I see this all the time, where some prominent company does really great, then a VP or co-founder sues the company because some other officer gets the postitive press instead. People are like that.

I dont know all of Rifkin's role, but from what I read, he's more in the mixing/mastering/engineering area, while Zimmer is more in the actual music creation/direction, etc. I know they have a long history together (i.e. the Bungles??) but that can go downhill when jealously or ego rears an ugly head.

As far as us Zimmer fans, which I am also, I doubt this will effect anything on the composer's schedule. He is golden, no matter what Rifkin does, so we'll continued to hear his music.
Patje
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as us Zimmer fans, which I am also, I doubt this will effect anything on the composer's schedule. He is golden, no matter what Rifkin does, so we'll continued to hear his music.

No doubt about that.
Thnx for explaining.
Lieutenant

Member#: 298

EyeDea is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail EyeDea's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it really does depend on how you look at it. On the one hand you have one composer hogging all the credit for work done by many, yet on the other hand you have a new, fast, and aperently effective way to produce film music.

And its not like the resident composers dont know whats going on.. its obvious their names arent on the front cover but rather at the back under the "aditional music" category. Frankly i dont think they mind. Its a great way to get a feel for the industry and get your music noticed. It is a start if you will, something every great composer needs.
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that we need to jump to conclusions about Zimmer "taking all the credit". I doubt any of us know exactly who does what there, and we shouldnt forget that Zinner did alot of composing long before Media Ventures.

Fact is, in the composition world, someone has to take the lead in the creative end...drive the overall project . In commercial work, it takes alot of people to make that happen. Alot of the work, however can so easily be done by computers these days, its staggering. The picture of Zimmer sitting in a big leather chair pointing at a stable full of scorewriters isnt even close to the truth.

So, like it or not, in many things "front men" get the credit. And I would imagine that the people that work with him get paid really well. No one has aimed a shotgun at their head and forced them to work for the man. So, like any team, you produce something together and all benefit, even if there is a front man.

Rifkin's beef doesnt seem to be that he didnt get credit, but that Zimmer basically quit MV and tried to hire MVs staff. Oh wow..gosh...thats never done in any industry is it?????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: