StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

WinAmp Issues - Can Anyone Help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic 
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoid, et al,

I can vouch for the fact that buffering does seem to be somewhat dependent on time. Early in the mornings, say before 8:00am cst, there doesnt seem to be as much stress on the buffering, but gradually builds later.

One thing that I said previously, regarding other "stations" not experiencing the buffering, sure enough, those are the ones that dont broadcast using the Thompson MP3Pro. Their bandwidths are much higher in some cases, and much lower in others.

Kork
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 1448

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

After my last post yesterday afternoon I decided to seek out another MP3Pro enabled station transmitting a 64k signal (also partly because SS became unmanageable during peak hours). I didn't close Winamp or anything and was able to listen to this other station for several hours without a single problem. Going to find a few others today and perhaps confirm that it's only SS giving me trouble. I was thinking, could there be a small misconfiguration somewhere on SS's end regarding MP3Pro? I don't really know too much about broadcasting so I'm just throwing out ideas here. Hope nobody thinks I'm whining, just trying to report back my findings in the hope that it will help maybe. Another idea; perhaps a front page poll is needed to find out just how many people using Winamp+MP3Pro are being affected since it doesn't seem like too many listeners wander in here.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoid, the best would be to find stations using mp3PRO through the "Audiorealm" directory. That way we know they're also using SAM.
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm now thats interesting. Ever since finding SST, I really havent searched out other stations, but had listened to others prior. I'll check that out also and see if I experience the same thing.

Zoid...can you share any sites you find that are using the MP3PRO broadcast?

Kork
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said. Find sites that are using mp3PRO AND SAM.

Otherwise your findings have a better chance of being useless to us.

All sites listed on Audiorealm use SAM.
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

Zoidburg is offline View user's profile Send private message Zoidburg's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the library feature in Winamp to find various MP3Pro streams because it works pretty decent (I see 77 right now), but I can look at Audiorealm too (which turned up 16).
Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've listened to several MP3Pro streams listed on Audio Realm. In order:

- The Bear!
- RHYTHM NATION ONLINE
- Capitol Radio.us

I listened to each one for an hour without any problems. Then I tried MEGAMIX FM just a few minutes ago and guess what? It happens, and it happens immediately upon connecting! CPU keeps hitting 100% and the stream keeps pausing / stuttering. This one comes out of Live365 as well. Turning off MP3Pro simply gets me a lot of regular behaving buffering. So, does that help any? Hmm, maybe it's simply that the MP3Pro plug-in is terrible at handling buffering? Though that wouldn't explain why once the problem starts it never stops until the stream is restarted in Winamp.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SST Streams have been great for me this week. I only experienced a few buffers during many hours of listening and that may not be the streams fault.

I have tried encoding the stream with MP3 codec instead of the mp3PRO and got the same results. I’ve tried other stream troubleshooting procedures as well. But, the only thing mp3PRO seems to be responsible for is the CPU spike during buffer.

It's the buffer problem now that has to be fixed (if it hasn't been fixed yet). My suspicion is that my ISP (Comcast) during heavy traffic periods isn’t able to supply the source machine of SST with enough upstream bandwidth. Next time this happens I have a plan of attack.

If anyone reading this is shaking their heads no, thinking, “I don’t have nay problems listening, what’s up with these guys?” then please stand up. That kind of information might help me isolated the problem.

Thanks korkster, Zoidburg, and Cocles for helping me with this.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
My suspicion is that my ISP (Comcast) during heavy traffic periods isn’t able to supply the source machine of SST with enough upstream bandwidth. Next time this happens I have a plan of attack.

I think so too, the buffering start here when America wakes up.
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I listened to capitol records using the MP3Pro stream and experienced the same thing as Zoid...no buffering whatsoever over a couple of hour period (ugh..sometimes painful music tho).

One thing I noticed there, was that their actual web page doesnt have much going on, except a few banners. Of course SST's web page is dynamic and changes quite a bit (though there has been something amiss lately, since many of us are having to manually update). I'm wondering if the load in doing all the dynamic changes is wreaking havoc on the bandwidth also? The frequency of getting php-mysql errors has increased also (which could be bandwidth also). So perhaps something else is going on at the hosting site?

Just a few thoughts.

Keep up the great work JERIC!

Kork
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeric has certainly fixed something now, cause the stream has gone on for 2-3 days now without any buffer-interruption of any sort. Great work man! Very Happy

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! I didn't want to say anything until I was absolutley sure, but now I am. It's fixed!!!

Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Yep! I didn't want to say anything until I was absolutley sure, but now I am. It's fixed!!!

Soooo... uhm... what was the trouble if you don't mind my asking?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

An Audio Pipeline configuration in SAM2 that worked for many months but all of a sudden didn't work right anymore. I reconfigured it and everything is sounding great.

Zoidburg
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got some free time to listen in recently during busy hours and had no problems with the 64k MP3Pro stream at all. Way to go Jeric!!! Hip hip hurrah! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: