StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Danny Elfman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Composers
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 8729

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:01 am   Post subject: Danny Elfman Reply with quote

This thread is for all things regarding Danny Elfman. Talk about anything and everything regarding this composer including current or future releases, news updates, interviews, audio samples, etc. Here are a few links which give some basic information regarding the composer:

Danny Elfman Unofficial Website
Danny Elfman SoundTrack Collector Filmography
Danny Elfman Wikipedia
Danny Elfman IMDB
Danny Elfman Albums on SST

Last edited by Nate on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA JadedTitan VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 19134

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2005 interview with Danny before his music for Serenada Schizophrana deputed at Carnegie Hall, although not specifically written for a movie, it is present here on SST and he also talks about his general method of composition along with some of his film scores.

Interview

Danny talking about his work on Corpse Bride, along with Mike Johnson who co-composed, and the parelles between it and Nightmare Before Christmas.

Interview
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

JadedTitan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View JadedTitan's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A more recent Interview with Danny, him again talking about his film music and specifically on his scoring of Hellboy II and Wanted. Also has some great photos of Danny and Tim Burton Smile The Interview starts a quarter ways down in the article.

Interview
Captain

aw

Nate is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Nate's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good quality video, but here is a quick video and interview with Danny Elfman talking about his score to "Batman Returns" and the Batman theme.

Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator Salvation Samples
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

elfman is a shadow of his former self. it's like one of those old time wreslters who don't know when to quit.

terminator salvation and hellboy 2 is like everything that's wrong with movie music today. it's so generic with no flare or distinction. he didn't do the fans any justice.

he didn't borrow anything from brad fediel. beltrami atleast tried to make an effort with t3. paying elfman to do terminator is just wrong. i feel sorry for james cameron and brad fediel.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read recently that they're putting Elfman's score back on The Wolfman. I wouldn't pay much attention, except they had replaced him with Paul Haslinger. After the dud that was Haslinger's score for Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, I must say I'm grateful, even if Elfman's sound isn't what it used to be.

I'm reading a book by Janet Halfyard about Elfman that argues that for some of that, we can blame the studios. Blockbusters are expensive, and they don't really want to take risks with the music. They want it to sound like the last thing that did well, written by the same guy.
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyInque wrote:
I read recently that they're putting Elfman's score back on The Wolfman. I wouldn't pay much attention, except they had replaced him with Paul Haslinger. After the dud that was Haslinger's score for Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, I must say I'm grateful, even if Elfman's sound isn't what it used to be.

I'm reading a book by Janet Halfyard about Elfman that argues that for some of that, we can blame the studios. Blockbusters are expensive, and they don't really want to take risks with the music. They want it to sound like the last thing that did well, written by the same guy.

I completely agree LadyInque! Great to see that they put Elfman's music back in since Haslinger has yet to show much promise with his music. Conrad Pope was brought it to arrange and fill in while using Elfman's themes since Wolfman has gone through several edits. Elfman was busy with Alice In Wonderland plus I am sure he was none to happy they rejected it in the first place and now have decided to use his music again (albeit in a chopped up form I am sure).

You can listen to some samples of the music at the Varese site: Wolfman Cover Art, Tracklisting and Samples
Nate
Captain
Captain

aw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to samples of Elfman's Alice In Wonderland
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon's giving away "Alice's Theme," from the Alice in Wonderland soundtrack, for free for a limited time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039F67GE/ref=dm_sp_alb

Enjoy!
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 27982

taybo20 is offline View user's profile Send private message View taybo20's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 pm   Post subject: New Interview Reply with quote

A 2010 interview by Alex Billington of Firstshowing.net

http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/03/29/interview-with-alice-in-wonderland-composer-danny-elfman/

Best quote imo: "In that sense, it's really, really hard. Because I'll go, "Well, am I hearing — is this Jerry Goldsmith? I don't think so. I think it's somebody doing Jerry Goldsmith. But now, they're doing John Williams. And now, at this point in the movie, it seems like they're doing– oh, look at that. They're doing Danny Elfman. Hmm. Interesting." They sound a little bit like a smorgasbord of composers. So in that sense it's harder to tell. Because composers, back in the old days, they didn't freely, in the context of the same move, borrow the style of two to three other contemporaries of theirs and mimic them. But that's a big chunk of film music today."
USA JadedTitan VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.burtonelfman.com/

Got $500 to spend? Looks like an Awesome set though...
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months later, the set to which jaded refers has finally come out, and received the lowest possible rating from that guy at filmtracks.com:
http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/elfman_burton.html

To be fair, he's seldom pleased with anything, really, and I think he tends, especially of late, to be nastier in his negative reviews than is warranted. Still, if the story he tells is true, I don't see how this box set was worth it for anyone.
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna listen to Elfman's score for Dark Shadows, it's streaming here for a while:
http://www.watertower-music.com/releases_spotlight.php?search=WTM39283

I simply have no idea what to make of this movie so far.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 18704

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

On October 7th at the Royal Albert Hall in London, UK there will be a Danny Elfman’s Music from the Films of Tim Burton.

Danny Elfman is there as special quest and will make his first public singing performance in 18 years.

More details can be found via the MoviesInConcert page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Composers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: