StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Personal/Favorite Recipes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For New Year's Eve I tried an experiment that seems to have worked pretty well. I don't have a recipe written out, and there's room for improvisation.

Pumpkin Lasagna:
Pick your favorite recipe for lasagna with meat sauce. Instead of the meat sauce, use an equivalent volume of the filling (and only the filling!) from this recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-live/pumpkin-ravioli-hats-recipe/index.html

Since it was just me and my husband for dinner, I made only enough lasagna to fill a loaf pan. That means 1.5 of the Emeril filling recipe (about 1.5 cups) and, well, I fudged the proportions for the rest of the lasagna. I also used whole grain noodles. I'm curious to know, if anyone else tries this, how it works for them.
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10213

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate Chip Oreo Cookie Sandwich

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar

1 Cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 Tablespoon pure vanilla

3 1/2 Cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

10 oz bag chocolate chips

1 bag Oreo Cookies, I used the double stuff Smile

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer cream butter and sugars until well combined. Add in eggs and vanilla until well combined.

2. In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda. Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until just combined. Using a cookie scoop take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie. Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo Cookie. Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo Cookie is enclosed with dough. Place onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake cookies 9-13 minutes or until cookies are baked to your liking. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Serve with a tall glass of milk, enjoy!

Makes about 2 dozen VERY LARGE Cookies Smile

Captain

Member#: 25250

mister_mouse is offline View user's profile Send private message View mister_mouse's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Gawds! It's a cookie in a cookie!
Captain

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned yesterday that the following is yummy:

1 banana
4 oz soy milk
1 Tbs flax seed
1 Tbs peanut butter

Grab your hand blender and go to town.
Commodore
Commodore

Cinder is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Cinder's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Western

Prep Time: About 1 1/2 hrs
Makes: Your Day! & 4 Servings

Ingredients:
juice of 1 lemon divided
12 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 baby artichokes
1 8-ounce package spaghetti
2 large cloves garlic, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped shallots, divided
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup fish stock
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
saffron
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
4 clams, chopped
4 Monterey Bay prawns or jumbo shrimp
12 large mussels
1/2 cup brandy
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons Pernod
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 large sea scallops, quartered

Preparation:
Stir the juice from half of the lemon and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a large pt of salted boiling water.
Add the artichokes and boil for 5 minutes or until almost tender.
Remove the artichokes and cool under cold running water.
Peel the outer leaves from 8 artichokes down to the most tender part (leave 4 artichokes with leaves intact).
Cut off the stems.
Cut the peeled artichokes into bite-sized pieces (about 1 1/2 inches long).
Set aside.
Add additional salted water to the left over artichoke water. Bring to a boil and cook the pasta.
Drain and return to the pot.
In a large pan, heat seven tablespoons of the olive oil and saut the garlic, celery, and 2 tablespoons of the shallots until golden.
Add the tomato puree, fish stock, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, 2 generous pinches of saffron, tomato paste, anchovy paste, and clams.
Bring to a low simmer and cover.
In a large saut pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and saut 2 tablespoons of the chopped shallots.
Season with black pepper. Add the prawns and mussels, cover with brandy, and ignite.
Remove from heat; when the flame subsides, set aside.
Add the red and yellow peppers, artichokes, mussels, and brandy to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the pernod and cream to the sauce and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the bay leaf and the peppers from the sauce; add the peppers to the spaghetti.
Rinse the spaghetti mixture in hot water and drain (to remove traces of the sauce).
Cover the bottom of 4 flat bowls with a few tablespoons of sauce.
Arrange 1/4 of the spaghetti in each bowl, leaving a hollow in the center.
Place 2 quartered raw scallops in the center.
Arrange 3 mussels on the edge of the plate; and, on the opposite side, place 3 artichokes.
On each plate place 1 reserved uncut artichoke over the scallops.
Spoon the remaining sauce over the scallops and mussels.
Place 1 prawn in the center.
If preparing in advance, cover with foil and set aside.
To serve, heat in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people have asked for my recipe for pancakes. I worked this up starting with the Mayo clinic recipe but made some changes. Wink

Buckwheat Pancakes

This makes two 5.5" diameter 1/2" thick pancakes.

Put the dry ingredients in a suitable mixing bowl:

1/2 cup buckwheat flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I'm using white WW at the moment)
1/2 tbsp. baking POWDER
1 tbsp sugar or substitute
less than 1/8 tsp. salt

I mix that up by covering with saran wrap and tossing it around until it's mixed. Then I pour in:

1/2 cup cool water
1/4 cup nonfat milk (or whatever)
3/4 or 1 tbsp extra light olive oil
1 egg

I break up the egg a bit first and then stir everything up with a rubber spatula until smooth. You want the batter to be only just liquid enough that drips on the surface don't have a sharp pattern and eventually almost disappear into the batter. Note that I'm not saying get that behavior at all costs, you want to start with it too thick and stir in tiny bits of water, until the batter is gloopy but still thickish. Follow the usual pancake cooking instructions. I use no oil in a nonstick pan, which is hot enough that water runs around a bit and boils off in a businesslike but not rushed way.

These pancakes are a little crumbly and delicate, and lately I have been eating them with pureed pear ('pear sauce') from Trader Joe's
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that we've had any summer here in Oregon Rolling Eyes ...

... but I think I'm going to need some good (i.e. easy!) recipes or ways of preserving tomatoes. We have 4 plants, my mom has 2, and she just inherited 5 more. When the clouds finally do part and it warms up, we're gonna have our hands full! Suggestions?
USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Andres wrote:
I mix that up by covering with saran wrap and tossing it around until it's mixed.

Oh, brilliant! That's a great way to mix the dry ingredients and aerate them, without the wisk sending everything everywhere. I should try that.
USA Andres
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 331

Andres is offline View user's profile Send private message View Andres's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyI yeah I got tired of breathing flour dust and never have got around to buying a sifter. Smile

One needs to remember to leave the wrap on for a few minutes though or the breathing part can still happen. Wink
USA Cinder VIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete's bread pudding

Total time: 1½ hours

Servings: 8 to 12

Note: Adapted from Pete's Cafe & Bar in downtown Los Angeles.

Crème anglaise

4 egg yolks

1/3 cup sugar

1 pint milk

1/4 vanilla bean, scraped

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yolks and sugar. Set aside.

2. In a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the milk and vanilla bean seeds and pod. Heat the milk over medium-high heat until hot, 5 minutes.

3. Whisk one-half cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolks to temper the eggs, then pour the egg mixture into the saucepan, whisking it in with the milk to form a custard base.

4. Heat the base over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens to form a custard. The custard is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.

5. Immediately remove from heat and strain into a bowl set over a larger bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Stir the custard until cold, then remove to a medium bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed. This makes 1 pint crème anglaise, possibly more than is needed for the remainder of the recipe. The custard will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 week.

Caramel sauce
1 cup plus 2½ tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup water

1 cup heavy cream

5 tablespoons butter

1. Combine the sugar and water in a medium, heavy-bottom pot over medium-high heat. After the sugar melts, do not stir the mixture in the pan as this will cause the sugar to become lumpy and crystalize. Continue to cook the sugar until it browns to a rich caramel color, swirling the pot gently so the sugar cooks evenly.

2. While the sugar is cooking, heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan until the butter melts and the cream scalds. Remove from heat.

3. When the sugar is caramelized, remove from heat. Gently and slowly whisk the hot cream into the caramel carefully, as the cream will steam when it is poured into the hot sugar. Cool the caramel sauce, then cover and refrigerate the sauce until needed. This makes 1 pint caramel sauce, possibly more than is needed for the remainder of the recipe; the sauce will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks. Gently reheat on the stove before using.

Bread pudding and assembly

6 egg yolks

1 quart heavy cream

3/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons brandy

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 vanilla bean, scraped

1 pound brioche bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and dried

Crème anglaise

Caramel sauce

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cream, sugar, brandy, vanilla extract and the seeds scraped from the bean to form a custard base. Add the bread cubes and toss to combine. Set the mixture aside until the bread cubes are soaked with the custard base, about 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes.

3. Spoon the mixture into a greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Place the dish in a larger roasting pan, and fill the pan with hot water until it comes up the baking dish halfway. Wrap the top of the baking dish with foil and place the roasting pan in the oven.

4. Bake the bread pudding until the custard is set, about 45 minutes.

5. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and carefully remove the baking dish from the pan. Uncover the bread pudding and place the baking dish back in the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Continue to bake the bread pudding until the top is golden brown, an additional 8 to 10 minutes.

5. Remove the baking dish to a rack to cool slightly. Serve the bread pudding warm topped with crème anglaise and caramel sauce.

Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I've posted this recipe yet or not but it is one of my husbands favorite meals and it's so simple!

Garlic Shrimp and Rice (Or noodles)

1-2 lbs of raw shrimp, deveined and peeled (its cheaper to buy full shrimp and peel and devein them yourself)

4-5 cloves of garlic (more or less depending on your taste)

1 stick of butter

2 cups dry rice (we use instant white rice)

2 cups chicken stock or water

Start by peeling and deveining the shrimp (unless you bought some prepared already). Bring the two cups of chicken stock or water to boil in a saucepan and add the 2 cups of instant rice once boiled. (or follow the directions for whatever kind of rice or noodles you decide to cook).

Once the rice is cooking, put one stick of butter in a skillet to begin melting. (Again, can use more or less depending on your prference. For 2 lbs of shrimp we use 2 sticks of butter). While butter is melting, peel and grate the garlic cloves directly into the pan. Once the butter melts and starts to bubble and sizzle the garlic, put the shrimp in and cook until they are white and pink.

Scoop some rice (or noodles) into a bowl and put the shrimp on top. Hubby likes when I use extra butter so he can pour some of the garlic butter down over the rice too. Can garnish with parsley and enjoy!

Not a super fancy meal but it is a favorite of ours and only takes 15-20 minutes.
Captain

Member#: 25890

ZeframCochrane is offline View user's profile Send private message ZeframCochrane's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Vesper (cocktail) or Vesper Martini

Three measures 90-proof gin

One measure 100-proof vodka

One-half measure Kina Lillet or Cocchi Americano

lemon peel

Shake over ice until well chilled, then strain into a deep goblet and garnish with a thin slice of lemon peel...........Served: Straight up; without ice

to say cheers Wink

James Bond: I think I'll call it a Vesper.
Vesper Lynd: Because of the bitter aftertaste?
James Bond: No, because once you've tasted it, that's all you want to drink.
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a new cranberry sauce this year. OH mama it is good!!!

Merlot Cranberry Sauce
Serves: 3-4, made a pint

Ingredients
1/2 lb. (230 grams) frozen whole cranberries
3/4 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Merlot
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cardamom
4 whole allspice
2 whole cloves

Instructions
Pour the water, wine and sugar into a pot. Stir and allow the sugar to melt completely, then add all of the spices and frozen cranberries. Stir ingredients well.
Simmer over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer until the cranberries break down and the liquid thickens.
Taste the sauce and adjust the sugar to the sweetness desired.

Notes:
**I did dump in the whole bag of berries, and added a wee bit more of everything. I had no whole allspice, so used about a teaspoon of powered. **
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates Pies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 26 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pies

-----FILLING- ----
1 lb Ground beef (round)
1 Garlic clove, chopped
1 c Onion, chopped
1/2 c Green bell pepper, chopped
1/3 c Celery, chopped
1/3 c Green onion, chopped
1 1/2 ts Salt
1 t Black pepper
1 d Red pepper
1 c Cooked rice
1/2 c Catsup
1 tb Parsley flakes

-----DOUGH-- ---
5 1/2 c Self-rising flour
2/3 c Shortening plus
2 tb Shortening
2 Eggs, beaten
1 3/4 c Milk
8 c Vegetable oil

FILLING: Combine beef, garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery, green onion, salt, black pepper, and red pepper.
Cook until meat is thoroughly browned.
Add rice, stirring until well-mixed with beef.
Remove from heat, cool. Drain off excess fat. Add catsup and
parsley. Mix well.

DOUGH: Sift flour; cut shortening into flour.
Mix egg and milk together.
Add to shortening/flour mixture. Stir to form a dough. Form dough into a ball.
Roll about 1/3 of the dough at a time on a lightly
floured board. Cut dough in 5 1/2 inch diameter circles (or squares). Place two heaping tablespoon full of filling on dough. Dampen edges of dough circles.
Fold over meat. Crimp edges with a fork. Prick with a fork at the top. Deep fry at 350 degrees F. until golden brown.
Commander

Member#: 15310

zgurl49 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View zgurl49's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a quick and filling corn chowder the other day.

Ingredients:

4 cans Cream of Potatoe Soup
2 cans of Cream Style Corn
1 onion
1 green pepper
2-4 cloves of garlic
1 package of bacon
1 package of cream cheese, cut up
4 Cups of Milk

Preparation:

Chop bacon into medium pieces and then cook until crispy. Dice the green pepper and onion and cook in a small amount of the left over bacon grease. Then add minced garlic for a few more minutes.

Pour in all cans of soup, corn, and the 4 cups of milk. Bring to a boil and then stir in the cream cheese until melted.

Recipe can be divided - this made enough for 6-8 people. Served ours with a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. Yum!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: