StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Half a second of silence between tracks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Would you prefer SST to have a half a second of silence between tracks?
Yes
38%
 38%  [ 17 ]
No
61%
 61%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 44

USA LadyInque
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

DrunkPianoPlayer wrote:
SST is unique. It's much better than a regular radio station, and SST listeners presumably appreciate music more than a teenager who flips on the radio to hear the latest pop tune. SST doesn't need the crossfade; SST is not a dance club that can't stand to have one single second of silence. Each track is a separate entity, a separate creative work, and should be treated as such. The artists would definitely appreciate not having their last note muddled by another song; I know I would if I were a composer.

I'm not sure I like being grouped with teenagers or dance club patrons just because I like the crossfade. Sure, SST is different from a regular radio station. But just because I like the music here doesn't mean it can't crossfade. I like the gapless sound that it creates; it's how I play my own music at home. And let's not go nuts about each track being a single creative entity. There are plenty of tracks for which I think that's too much credit.

Generally, I don't find that the beginnings or endings of the songs are muddled by the crossfade. I think it just helps eliminate the silence, which I can find distracting. I confess I often listen to SST as background noise for studying or grading papers. If I really want to study a track as a creative work, there are other ways to do that.
Finland GalFin
Captain
Captain

Member#: 16241

GalFin is offline View user's profile Send private message View GalFin's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted 'no'. The crossfade doesn't bother me. I think even a half second break would bother me more.

What is sometimes annoying is the stream lag. It can get confusing when trying to recognise the music and the 'Now Playing' is already showing the next song. But that is another issue altogether...
DrunkPianoPlayer
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 23242

DrunkPianoPlayer is offline View user's profile Send private message View DrunkPianoPlayer's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose what you think about the crossfade somewhat depends on how you use SST. I listen to SST only when I’m at the office; I use headphones. The work that I do doesn’t require much of my attention, so when I’m listening to SST, I’m listening intently. I can understand how someone who is using SST as background noise might prefer the crossfade.

Here is the most intrusive example of crossfading that I have heard so far; this is what prompted me to create this thread. The song “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” from the Phantom of the Opera album ends on a beautiful note sung by a beautiful voice. But because of the crossfade, the beginning of the next track brutally interrupts this beautiful voice. The next time this song plays on SST, please listen to the end to see how intrusive the crossfade is.
USA workervr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

if I want time between tracks I listen to cds.. this is sst's sorta signature in my mind I guess. I vote no

HELLLLLLLLLLO ALL!
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

aw

Member#: 21881

Dragonel is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dragonel's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For tracks I know, no problem. But if I'm trying to hear what a new track sounds like (my request or someone else's), I can easily miss it while working if the tracks before are not dissimilar enough. A quick gap helps me count the changes so if I know the track I'm interested in is third, I just have to wait for two gaps and then pay more attention.
USA FoxMcleod64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 849

FoxMcleod64 is offline View user's profile Send private message View FoxMcleod64's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no cause I like the seemless transition from one track to the next. Granted sometimes depending on which track follows the currently playing track the crossfeed can be just as jarring as a moment of silence, but at the same time I've heard acouple of crosses that made for some truely epic moments while listening to the stream.

USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Foxy!! Very Happy
Germany hazz
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 24672

hazz is offline View user's profile Send private message View hazz's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can understand the statement Drunkenpianoplayer made. And half a second isn't that disturbing long. The thing I encountered sometimes is that new tracks were allready started before I could notice it because of the crossfeed, which sometimes give beautiful connections, I admit that as well. Together with the problem Galfin mentioned makes it sometimes very confusing which track is on. And that's the reason I voted 'Yes"
So IMHO the crossfeed isn't bothering me but can be a bit confusing sometimes.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Netherlands Dutchbat
Captain
Captain

Member#: 22196

Dutchbat is offline View user's profile Send private message View Dutchbat's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other end, after discussing this on high level, there is also a legal issue to this topic: crossfading is a gesture towards the right-owners to prevent as much as possible piracy or illegal downloading. Crossfading helps prevent this by making it hard for software to copy single tracks.

take a look at my collection: My album list
Belgium Angel
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 24518

Angel is offline View user's profile Send private message Angel's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

voted no, a half a second isn't that long, there are enough tracks with pauses in them to get confused if it's still that song or the pause in between two tracks.
The pause should be longer then but that would bother me...

my soundtrack collection
Netherlands Iwan_the_Blue
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 30168

Iwan_the_Blue is offline View user's profile Send private message View Iwan_the_Blue's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

voted no.

The people in my shop hear SST as backgroundmusic. I, however, listend with intence, and try to follow every song. From start till the end and realize with the crossfading, sometimes miss the end-tune. I prefer the crossfade over a silence in the shop.... Although I understand the argument, it does not bother me that much.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: