StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The 48 Hour Rule...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Kossian
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 1640

Kossian is offline View user's profile Send private message Kossian's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:25 pm   Post subject: The 48 Hour Rule... Reply with quote

I understand about the 48 hour rule, but it would be nice to know when a song can't be requested instead of clicking on it and getting that "Failed" message. As a suggestion, can you place somewhere with the music information that either 1) The song was last requested hh:mm ago, or 2) The song can be requested again in hh:mm from now...I'll leave it up to who's in charge of the software programming to think if this is a good idea, and where it would best fit in on the site.

As a side note, I have gone back from Winamp 3 to Winamp 2.91, only for the codec that makes a 64K stream sound like 128K. Yes, it's stable, and I will admit it's better than having your track get interrupted for a second or two every ten seconds (although I don't think that's a Winamp issue, looking at my cable modem activity). Maybe, maybe someday Winamp will get a Winamp 3 version that gets the stamp of approval from Cocles... Laughing

-- Ken
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When it stops hoarding system resources and supports MP3Pro and Ogg I'll give it another look. Wink

The ten second problem has been due to our streaming servers.

Gol' durn new fangled internet....
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

this goes back to the old B*tch that us old timers have that we would LOVE to see the time left until we can request again so that we do not try until that time. At least we no longer loose the request because we requested too early but I would be a nice addition.
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not an old timer but yea a countdown of some sort would be handy.

Although I would like to say that a 72 hour replay window was suggested and I don't like that idea. Too long for the good stuff, and for the bad, eh...

Goblin
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JK, nailed it. Since listeners no longer lose their request by trying to select something that was already been requested, priority of this feature has dropped substantially.

I do personally agree however, that eventually there should be some "indictator" within the playlist telling us what tracks are currently not available for request. Whether the we have song's title displayed in red, or something similar.

As far as a countdown timer goes, that would defeat the purpose of the 48 hour rule to begin with.

Jeric has a huge playlist, and he wants us to explore it. With countdown timers on every requested song I'm afraid someone might say, "Oh, well it only has 45minutes left, I'll wait!"... we'd rather they say, "Well shucks... it's already been requested. Okay, let's see what else I can find."

Anyways, yes. Like I said, down the road I think it'd be a good idea to let listeners know right off the bat what is currently not available, so they don't waste ten minutes making futile requests.

Yeehaw.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Jeric has a huge playlist, and he wants us to explore it. With countdown timers on every requested song I'm afraid someone might say, "Oh, well it only has 45minutes left, I'll wait!"... we'd rather they say, "Well shucks... it's already been requested. Okay, let's see what else I can find."

I like that argument. I couldn't have said it better :-)
XTReactorVX
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 108

XTReactorVX is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XTReactorVX's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

With Jeric's selection you could spend a lot of time looking around browsing for what you're in the mood for. It's like the library only you don't have to reach.
Commander
Commander

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
JK, nailed it. Since listeners no longer lose their request by trying to select something that was already been requested, priority of this feature has dropped substantially.

I do personally agree however, that eventually there should be some "indictator" within the playlist telling us what tracks are currently not available for request. Whether the we have song's title displayed in red, or something similar.

As far as a countdown timer goes, that would defeat the purpose of the 48 hour rule to begin with.

Please do not get me wrong. I am fully in favor of the 48 hour rule and with exploring the playlist for new tracks. I do not want a countdown on each song that says how long until that track can be played again. I do think it would be a great idea to have the song disabled or checked or otherwise marked during it's 48 hour period but not with a timer. The time that I would like to see would tell you when your last request was and how long until your next req. Alternately it could just tell you how long since your last req and let you do the math!
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A request timer is something currently at the bottom of the list. Especially since you can already do it yourself by hitting stop and play right after you've made your request.
Commander
Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure I understand that. I am just using this as a (pardon the expression) forum for airing the idea again. Very Happy
Lieutenant

Member#: 1999

Goblinmoon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Goblinmoon's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, good arguement Cocles. There have been a few tracks that I've heard that I liked and was... oooh what is that? And alot of those aren't requests.

Goblin
USA PeteC VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3796

PeteC is offline View user's profile Send private message View PeteC's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that some of these scores would not be heard again for 2 or 3 weeks! Of course, I'll be bashed for that but I hear Zimmer far too much and I really use to like the guy!

Crying or Very sad
good as good. Herein lies evil.
coolman109
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 6025

coolman109 is offline View user's profile Send private message coolman109's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should be able to select a song again after one day or so.
Hobbes:Those are cannons.
Calvin:And they perform this in crowded concert halls?? Gee, I thought classical music was borin
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great for people who tune in once in a while. We cater to the people who listen almost every day not the people who occaisonally stop by and don't contribute anything back to the site.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. The stream has sounded better than ever, ever since we cranked up the no repeat rule to 5 days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: