StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Ever have to use the digital eraser?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:09 pm   Post subject: Ever have to use the digital eraser? Reply with quote

To answer your first question, not yet. The answer to the second question is YES. The RIAA wants to do exactly that. They claim there is no proof that internet radio boots record sales. That is totally false, of course. Many people have bought recordings becuase they heard the music on StreamingSoundtracks.com. Check out RAIN to see what the music industry wants to do to internet radio.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 209

tobyz is offline View user's profile Send private message tobyz's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:32 pm   Post subject: Ever have to use the digital eraser? Reply with quote

Of course internet music sites boost CD sales. There should be no doubt of that.

I'm no fan of the rap/metal/punk/top-40 stuff that is the typical radio fare. But when I hear something I really get into on the net, I do buy. CDs like soundtracks of Mishima (Glass) or Thin Red Line (Zimmer) or other CDs like Temple, Nature Whispers, and Wind River. I would never have bought those had I not heard one or two tracks first on the net.

Of course, also, I want to buy at the best price I can. That's why I generally buy through your sponsor, Amazon.com. There's nothing wrong with buying at a bargain price and not even RIAA complains about that.

However, I find their position that "there is no proof that internet radio boosts record sales" to be totally out of touch with reality --- much as multi-millionaire baseball players going on strike to "save the game". HA!

Perhaps some day someone will sponsor an online Harris Poll about the buying practices of those who listen to music on the internet. Then we'll have some real data to present to the RIAA.

As long as I'm going on about the RIAA, I don't really oppose the idea of royalties on music file downloads --- x cents/track, something higher for entire CDs. To me, that's in lieu of buying the track/CD and should be covered by a subscription fee on the downloader. However, I don't see why a mere listener on the internet should be at a disadvantage vs the listener to an AM/FM radio station. There should be NO royalties for the non-commercial netcasting of music. If the netcaster charges me a subscription fee to listen, that's the point where you can start discussing a royalty fee.

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:45 pm   Post subject: Ever have to use the digital eraser? Reply with quote

"There's nothing wrong with buying at a bargain price and not even RIAA complains about that."
-The RIAA also wants to charge royalty fees on used CD's. They are pushing for a surcharge for places like eBay, Half.com, etc. Talk about double-dipping.

"Perhaps some day someone will sponsor an online Harris Poll about the buying practices of those who listen to music on the internet. Then we'll have some real data to present to the RIAA."
-There have been several scientific polls but the RIAA refuses to acknowledge any of them. They have an agenda and nothing is going to deter them from that. Lets just say they believe what they want to believe.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
tobyz
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 209

tobyz is offline View user's profile Send private message tobyz's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:07 am   Post subject: Ever have to use the digital eraser? Reply with quote

From "About":
"If you are an artist, composer, record label, entertainment lawyer or affiliated with the music industry and you do not want your recordings promoted on StreamingSoundtracks.com, CONTACT me and I will remove any material at your request immediately."

Jeric, has anyone ever asked for removal of material?

Of course we all like to be paid for our 'creative' efforts and we do recognize that big-name recording artists are as underpaid as major league baseball players ...but seriously, does anyone really object to free publicity in this fame-and-fortune-dominated world. I'm sure it helps sell concert tickets -- or, in the case of streaming soundtracks, movie tix and VCR/DVD rentals.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: