StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Jingles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
loveslave
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 98

loveslave is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website loveslave's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:34 am   Post subject: Jingles Reply with quote

I hate to complain, but do we really need the new comments between the songs? I mean - people who listen to the stream probably already know that they are listening to streamingsoundtracks.com, and if they don't they probably won't understand what is said anyway. It's not like FM radio where you just pick a frequency. Do you think that they drive traffic to the stream? I don't - possibly the opposite. Is it to prevent stream ripping? Then putting them in the middle of songs should be more effective.

Sorry about that, now I'll stop being a bore and go back to following the voting for the sexiest dude and gal of SST 2003.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you shouldn't really be complaining on this one, LOL. Smile But that's fine, I'm glad you did. I haven't received much feedback on this.

It's not to prevent stream ripping, it's to make the station sound more professional and to get more people to visit the site. I don't know how many times I've seen people say in the chat that they've been listening to SST for months or even over a year and they just now started visiting the site. If you look at the registered users the past couple days it has been double of what it was before (19 yesterday!). Truth is most ShoutCASTers (were most of SST's listeners come from) just browse ShoutCAST until they find something they like, click listen, and then do something else. I know exactly what I'm listening to but I like to be reminded. Actually I'm filled with pride every time I hear them, maybe just because I'm the creator of SST. But, I don't think 5-20 seconds every so often is going to deter anyone away from the "station that knows how to score". Very Happy

BTW for everyone else observing this thread, these are called "Station ID Sweepers" not ads, commercials, jingles, whatever.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent observation Jeric. I know that way back when I first came to the site I was listening through SHOUTcast for about a month or 2 before I opened the minibrowser on winamp and saw there was a site connected to this. Another month or two before I registered. Had I known the site existed before then though I would have probably checked it out to request much sooner than I did. The "sweepers" are a great idea and as you said 10-15 seconds 2-3 times an hour is not a lot and will certainly not drive anyone away.
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jeric or anyone else. In the ID's what songs are played in the backround??? Just curious. Wink
USA mutara
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 213

mutara is offline View user's profile Send private message mutara's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's eyeballs you want, how about making some content-specific sweepers? Announcements that reference specific parts of the site. Like notices of new albums added to the playlist, descriptions of active polls, invitations for newbies to read Cocles' Really Mean and Condescending FAQ, announcements of other site happenings such as the SST Sexiest Man/Woman contests, or whatever.

Or would that sound too much like "commercials"?
Commander
Commander

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably would sound too much like commercials for one and as I understand it they cost to put together. The ones that we have were put together for here under something like the 1st 5 are free or some such. Your ideas though have merrit such as offering a suggestion to read the FAQ's when signing up and notices on the home page to contests and polls but they would be things that Jeric would have to implement and would not be part of the stream.

By the by. I just met a newcomer to the site who was drawn to the site by the announcements.

> eatupmartha: altoid: the new announcer guy is responsible
> Altoid: eatup, what was it that brought you "out"?

Looks like they work!

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear jk! You have some good ideas mutara, thanks for sharing them! We just may have to make our own announcements. Smile

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Zack
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 256

Zack is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Zack's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice speech and voice acting quite a bit. Although I'm sure I'm nowhere near as good as a professional voice artist as Vince Garcia here, I could definitely give it a try, and JERIC wouldn't have to pay more for those kinds of "new feature" announcements, etc (which I have to agree are a pretty cool idea)!
USA FoxMcleod64
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 849

FoxMcleod64 is offline View user's profile Send private message View FoxMcleod64's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sweepers, it gives the stream a little more professional sound to it. (If your wondering, I started listening to SST about Spring '03, but cons to the stream were never great, but as of now, their really awesome, especially with the mp3PRO format helped even it out)

"The station that knows how to score." LOL, thats classic, like something one of the radio stations in the GTA games would say.
Dartagnan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 291

Dartagnan is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dartagnan's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care, it just reminds me I'm on a Radio and not on a playlist! Very Happy
korkster
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 548

korkster is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website korkster's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The station IDs here dont really bother me at all. Man you want to get annoyed, go listen to Live 365 for a while...their ads are OFTEN and annoying to boot.

Jeric..you did fine with yours..they dont bother me at all.

Kork
Fanatic2k4
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 41

Fanatic2k4 is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Fanatic2k4's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come out of hiding for a bit to comment on how much sst has changed, and yet how much it hasn't. Personally, I think the jingles are great. I found this station origionally, and finding out that you can actually request songs has kept me listening all these months (years).

*goes back into hiding*

edit: *comes back*

3000 members!!! Wow! I'm proud to be member #40. =D Great job Jeric!

*goes for good this time*
loveslave
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 98

loveslave is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website loveslave's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic2k4 wrote:
I'm proud to be member #40. =D

Speaking of that ? is there a way to see the member number now? I don't remember what my number is, and I can't seem to find anywhere in my forum profile where it says anything avout that.
Commander
Commander

Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

loveslave wrote:
Speaking of that ? is there a way to see the member number now? I don't remember what my number is, and I can't seem to find anywhere in my forum profile where it says anything avout that.

You are member #97 loveslave. You joined us on May 19, 2002. And all of this information is on the members list on the left hand side3 of the page. I sorted on "Joined Date" and "Ascending" and scrolled through until I found you.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: