StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Pay To Keep Listening?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:35 pm   Post subject: Pay To Keep Listening? Reply with quote

Things are getting pretty serious. It looks like that the HR5469 is going to pass. Unfortunately it will not help this station much at all. If and when this goes into affect which could be this week or next, StreamingSoundtracks.com is doomed. There is absolutely no way I can afford to pay these royalty fees. As it stands I would "owe" over $4500 in backpay already. There is no way this station has ever came close to generating that much revenue. What really screws us in this bill are the minimum royalties due. If you haven't already, please check RAIN to see how we are all affected and come back here and offer your thoughts on this. Right now I am a very upset and disappointed as you all can imagine. I have worked very hard at this project for almost 2 years now and it's about to be flushed down the toilet by corporate greed. If I had nothing to lose I would air SST until the police knocked my door down. But I have a house, a wife, 2 kids and a job that barely pays the bills. SST was pure hobby for me. This is absolutely disgusting. Right now, the most logical solution could be to move SST offshore. Maybe some of my international friends could volunteer to be the next SST DJ? Or it might just be easier to accept defeat and move on. I am embarrassed not only as an American but a human being.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:47 pm   Post subject: Pay To Keep Listening? Reply with quote

Jeric,

I went to the site listed and have to ask why SST can't do this?

"Furthermore, the true hobbyist — e.g., the fan of 1930s blues music or Broadway scores of the 1960s or contemporary bluegrass or whatever — can set up a tax-exempt ("501(c)(3)") nonprofit corporation and pay only 3/10 of a penny per listener-hour in royalties, with a minimum of only $10/week. That's a reasonably-affordable hobby."

Calculated, 100 listeners listening 24 hours 7 days a week for four weeks comes to less than $29.

Isn't that doable?

Wouldn't that also make our donations to your site tax deductible?
SlowMo
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:03 am   Post subject: Pay To Keep Listening? Reply with quote

I agre with Cocles (wow) ... I tend to think that RAIN is much more in favor of this HR5469 thing.

Of course going non-profit is perhaps not appealing, but at least it would keep SST on the air.

The backpay of $4500 however might prove to be a big pain in the ass.

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:53 am   Post subject: Pay To Keep Listening? Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the requirements are to be "non-profit". Aren't the funds supposed to benefit something, like starving children or something? I do know that non-profits are heavily regulated bcause of what happened after 9-11. I'm not sure I can keep up with all of the administration and also the recordkeeping that the new bill requires for "small webcasters". Hell, I can't even offer my listeners the top 25 requested songs now let alone log every song played, to # of people, and the time played, and labelm artist, title, etc.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:59 am   Post subject: Pay To Keep Listening? Reply with quote

Should this sort of record keeping be required for all webcaster hobbyist, I'm sure the necessary plugins and software would be made available rather quickly.

I believe non-profit organiztions merely have to be non-profit. It's at least worth investigating... especially since that's what the RAIN site seems to recommend you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: