StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

SHOUTcast banning mp3PRO
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:21 am   Post subject: SHOUTcast banning mp3PRO Reply with quote

I don't know the exact reason for this but I will keep you updated. Let's try to keep the discussion about this here. This is going to have a huge impact on the webcasting industry, especially SST. We are able to cut our costs in half becuase of mp3PRO technology. I've been told that there are some major news sources coving this. I will post more information as it becomes available to me.

Here is the poll:
http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/modules.php?name=Surveys&op=results&pollID=30&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Here is the discussion at SHOUTcast forums:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172236

Here is a discussion at SpacialAudio.com forums:
http://www.spacialaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2715

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
dynamotwain
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 3326

dynamotwain is offline View user's profile Send private message dynamotwain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:07 pm   Post subject: No more MP3Pro Reply with quote

Well, MP3Pro is bad for all those without the plugin anyway.
Unless somebody wants to pay the exorbant licensing fee, there will not
be a version of the codec for Linux.

According to JERIC's link:
Quote:
Mp3pro uses spectral band replication to make it save bandwidth. This is not mp3. This is a different form, but it uses the mp3 base. It essentially cuts an MP3 in half, and makes a new format on TOP of the mp3. Thus the file is NOT mp3. It is different.

OGG Vorbis even supposedly has better quality audio as well.
If you don't want to take my word for it, why don't you go and compare all the audio
formats out there.
Rip your own CDs at 64k and see which codec sounds better. Or if would rather not go
through all that trouble, try the samples at http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/listen.html

Ogg Voribs support is fairly prevalent now, anyway.
Its included with WinAmp 5, Real's latest player (10 I believe?), Quintessential QCD 4, and can be played in Windows Media Player with the OggDS plugin.

Besides, I'm not sure about other Windows players, but when buffering occurs in QCD with the MP3pro plugin, CPU utilisation jumps to 100%, and the system runs annoyingly slower.

Thus, I would love to see MP3pro go back to MP3, and double my audio quality, or OGG and increase it moreso. (That is if the OGG stream is transcoded from the original CDs, not the MP3 version.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For all you newbies out there, a little lesson in SST history.

We had OGG. Hell I was the one who wouldn't shut up about it and finally paid for our first month of streaming so we could try it out.

The problem was NO ONE would use it. Turned out, all ogg had was about seven very vocal supporters. The rest didn't know what it was and didn't care.

We finally had to concede and convert those streams over to something people would actually use.

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, nothing beats mp3PRO at 32k. Ogg gets its good reputation at the CD-like quality levels.

Netherlands Emile
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1192

Emile is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Emile's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont no nothing about ogg. but mp3pro rulez!!! Smile

a-bit-older twin of olaziolek
SimonC
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 76

SimonC is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website SimonC's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be quite happy to see the back of MP3Pro, being a non-Windows user (and RISC OS is even less likely to ever get support for it than Linux). I've never seen much point in not going down the Ogg route. I suspect the poor takeup is probably due to people who are reluctant to use anything that isn't bundled with Windows (I think that can play MP3 streams with what it comes with?)
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how some people always try to blame everything on microsoft and windows.

The snobs of the nerd world.

People like mp3 because they're familiar with it. It's got nothing to do with microsoft at all. It's just the brand that took hold.
SimonC
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

SimonC is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website SimonC's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't intending to say anything pro or anti MS. All my point was was that people will rarely go in search of anything that isn't as well-known, or supplied when it comes to computers. Hence people have heard of MP3s, and I think Media Player plays MP3 streams, so that's what lots of people will use when given a choice. Were you assuming I was digging at MS just because I said I'm not using Windows?
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't fully understand what is meant by:
Quote:
Keep mp3PRO, 80 free streams still available at SST but not listed on SHOUTcast, go 100% Live365.

I've tried to listen to SST at Live365 but it keeps cutting out. So, I guess more specifically, what is meant by:
Quote:
go 100% Live365.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That means drop all the stream we're paying for at mediacast1 and only keep the 80 streams that are donated to us. Instead of having only 30 slots at live365 we would jump to 100 or 200.

dynamotwain
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 3326

dynamotwain is offline View user's profile Send private message dynamotwain's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:25 pm   Post subject: Live365 is a pain, and MP3Pro is worse Reply with quote

I've followed the FAQ's and I can listen to the stream ... in one second
chunks. Then it has to buffer and start again. I've always had this
problem, both on Linux and Windows, on my home 384Kbps DSL line, and on a
T1. I've always had the problem, so I've stuck with the Mwdiacast1 stream.

I don't know if any of you have checked, but due to the populariy
of MP3 "technology," there are exorbant licensing rates for both
Fraunhofer's (misspelled?) SDK to write MP3 decoding applications.
($60,000 for MP3; $90,000 for MP3Pro) Not only does it hurt developers,
especially those that give away products for free, like WinAmp and QuintEssential,
but it encourages them to prefer other cheaper, and sometimes better codecs.

Right now, OGG is a viable choice. The latest versions of Winamp, RealOne Helix Platform Player, and Quintessential QCD, some of the most popular MP3 players out there all have native support for OGG. If the listen links for these players were set to use an OGG stream rather than the MP3 stream, I doubt many people would even notice the change.

However, software version specific links would need to be added for the poor souls that use outdated copies of free programs.
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JERIC. However, I've listened to Live365 a bit before and wasn't really impressed. But, I'm sure it'll all work out. Thanks for the updates.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonC wrote:
I wasn't intending to say anything pro or anti MS. All my point was was that people will rarely go in search of anything that isn't as well-known,

Now that you've clarified, I agree with you completely.

SimonC wrote:
Were you assuming I was digging at MS just because I said I'm not using Windows?

No because of this line:

SimonC wrote:
I suspect the poor takeup is probably due to people who are reluctant to use anything that isn't bundled with Windows.

I was probably reading it with the wrong tone. If so, whoops. Confused
SimonC
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
SimonC wrote:
I wasn't intending to say anything pro or anti MS. All my point was was that people will rarely go in search of anything that isn't as well-known,

Now that you've clarified, I agree with you completely.

Phew, I think we agree. I don't really want to go picking fights with the bigwigs in here!
loveslave
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 98

loveslave is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website loveslave's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
We had OGG.
The problem was NO ONE would use it. Turned out, all ogg had was about seven very vocal supporters. The rest didn't know what it was and didn't care.

But now that Ogg is supported by Winamp, most people should be able to use it without hassle.

I'm not sure what the situation is for Linux, Unix and Mac users. Are there any common players supporting Ogg there, too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: