StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Matrix Revolutions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA megadith
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 82

megadith is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website megadith's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:33 pm   Post subject: Matrix Revolutions Reply with quote

I just wanted to get other opinions of this new matrix flick. I just saw it last night and i can say easily i was disappointed. The first is of course the best and the second one had its charm. I especially like the second one's mythology. it sorta made you think and look for clues. this third one could have been the best but it seemed really empty and dry. the special effects were kick ass but the story was weak i felt. it just didn't seem to gel right with me. to many open questions. i guess they'll probably be answered in the books and comics to come. more money was needed in then end i guess.

Just figured i get everyone's thoughts since everyone here has some great ideas on these sort of things. Let the debate begin!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

before I read that post above. Does it contain spoilers?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesn't. Kudos to Megadith.

Just a reminder to everyone else that if you post info on a film containing spoilers please indicate that at the top of your post.

EVEN if the film has already been released.
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Matrix Revolutions Reply with quote

megadith wrote:
this third one could have been the best but it seemed really empty and dry. the special effects were kick ass but the story was weak i felt.

Thats right, it's all about money nowadays. They make one innovative movie that sells, so they just can't stop. They hire a bunch of b-actors and computer nerds to make stunning visual effects and some really cool trailers (with music from other movies of course Rolling Eyes). Think about this next time you give away your 5 bucks to see two hours of computer generated effects! It's not like it used to be in the old days when the directors came up with an idea, wrote most of the script themselves and had to put their money into the production. In my opinion, that is the only good guaranty for quality. Wink Another thing I dont like but notice more and more, is movie remakes. Titanic, Robin Hood, Charlies Angels (Can you believe they had to make TWO new crappy movies?), Ocean's Eleven, Miracle On 34th Street, LOTR, Hamlet, Chicago etc..... Most people I know suddenly have a new favourite movie every time there is a new big release. There's alot of unseen movies out there folks, I suggest you go explore. Wink
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:37 am   Post subject: Re: Matrix Revolutions Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
It's not like it used to be in the old days when the directors came up with an idea, wrote most of the script themselves and had to put their money into the production.

This never was the norm. The producer would come up with an idea, hire a writer to put it on paper, then hire a director to translate it to film.

The only person from the golden age widely known for putting up his "own" money was Sam Goldwyn. And even he hired a writer and director.

Yes there are exceptions, but they're just that. Exceptions.

As for remakes, even one of your favorite films of all time, Sensei, "A Fistful of Dollars" is a remake of the Akira Kurosawa film "Yojimbo".

To say it "all about the money" is to miss what's really going on.

The root of the problem is not being "all about the money" it's about "playing it safe". As film budgets contnue to rise, execs are becoming more and more cautious (and nervous) about what they're buying. A flop can cost an exec his job, not to mention his company hundreds of millions of dollars (which in turn can costs hundreds of other people their job).

A lot of execs want to "stick with what works". It feels safe. If a film makes a lot of money, make another one! If it flops, you have an excuse, "Hey the first one worked!" It makes sense, but unfortunately sometimes the artists and execs aren't up to the task of making the sequel/remake good. (Although sometimes they are, like X2.) The execs are trying to guarrantee more X2's these days by thinking ahead and contracting actors up front to possible sequels (like Hugh Jackman who was contracted from the start to play Wolverine in the first film, as well as one sequel).

You're right though, money is a large part of it, but it always has been. Entertainment is a business just as much as an art. And businesses are for making profit. Execs, Artists, even the Studios want to make a good product. A good product means everyone's happy!

The problem is, to quote the #1 motto in Hollywood, "Nobody knows nothing."

...and that can scare people.
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Yes there are exceptions, but they're just that. Exceptions.

You probably know more about american film than I do, but in many countries in europe it was not uncommon that a production company was established for every movie or for every director. According to my mediaknowledge-book from last year the reason for this was that the already established production companies did not dare to put money into those who were experimenting with filmmaking. So it seems they have always wanted to "stick with what works". Just to make my point in american film, lets use Unforgiven, Space Cowboys, The Bridges of Madison County, Heartbreak Ridge and Absolute Power as examples. In some way or another Clint Eastwood has participated in both the production, direction and musical composition in addition to playing a leading role in the movies. Not one of these movies disappointed me when I first saw them. This is the reason I'm watching Mystic River and not Matrix Revolutions this weekend.

Cocles wrote:
As for remakes, even one of your favorite films of all time, Sensei, "A Fistful of Dollars" is a remake of the Akira Kurosawa film "Yojimbo".

I have both on DVD. Cool There are big differences here though. Leone made a whole new kind of movie. Different location, different time etc, not just a pure remake like Titanic. It's no secret that Leone and Kurosawa have many similar trademarks like extreme close-ups, the quiet, confident, and deadly man with no name, and use of music to replace dialogue.

Cocles wrote:
Entertainment is a business just as much as an art.

Not for all of us. Wink
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time a debate like this starts the defender is always quick to bring up low-budget filmmaking... such as the kind of stuff you're discussing that's made in Europe.

Apples and Oranges.

Sensei wrote:
Not for all of us. Wink

When it comes to film & television there are two kinds of artists who consider it "JUST AN ART!"

Those who starve to death.

And those who make it their "gimmick".

Hence the battle cry of all low-budget filmmakers, "We're not like those other guys! We're all about the art, man!"

They could practically put it on their poster.

Sensei wrote:
Leone made a whole new kind of movie. Different location, different time etc, not just a pure remake like Titanic.

Well, when you make a film about Titanic, you're sort of bound to a particular location and time.
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Any time a debate like this starts the defender is always quick to bring up low-budget filmmaking... such as the kind of stuff you're discussing that's made in Europe.

Are you saying low-budget movies can't be of high quality? I'd rather say it's the other way around; The more money spent on a project the more and better effects, sets, costumes, makeup etc are available which again is used to compensate for poor acting performance and a lousy scipt. E.g. The Blair Witch Project. Low budget, very little effects. Still managed to scare the living shit out of most people. (Dont get me wrong now. I'm not saying this is a high quality movie, just pointing out that a good idea for a movie is more valuable than all the effects in the world)

Cocles wrote:
Well, when you make a film about Titanic, you're sort of bound to a particular location and time.

Yep, you already got the story, just need to buy the rights for it. Then, take advantage of some new technology; add some fancy visual effects, a boy with the face of an angel plus that british wench, and voila. Laughing

Anyone else got something to say in this thread? Coc and I can discuss this sort of stuff over MSN if you dont want to be a part of it... Goes a lot of quicker that way. Laughing
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hollywood should create a futuristic version of Titanic. A cruise space ship heads out into space to a hot vacation spot on Mars. Instead of hitting an iceberg they hit a asteroid. It would be cool to see people fly all over in space after the crash. It would be equivalent to the people that went overboard from Titanic. Yeah, that would be cool.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
Are you saying low-budget movies can't be of high quality?

It's hard to argue with someone who keeps missing my point.

This argument is about your inaccurate statement that movies are bad because "it's all about money."

Since I've already made my detailed debate earlier in this thread, I'll try to be blunt.

It is idiotic to say films are bad because "it's all about money." Why the hell would a studio think they could make a better profit by making expensive bad films?

The issue is much more complicated than some soundbite like "it's all about money".

The problem is a fear of loss, not greed for profit. Sure, part of the problem is "all about money". But not in the way you're thinking. As an executive it's also a lot about job security for yourself as well as the several hundred who will lose their jobs if you screw up and make a flop.

The problem with argumnets like this is there's always someone who brings up indenpendent films.

Like I said before, "Apples and Oranges."

Maybe you don't know what that means.

It means they're in two different universes.

Independent films play by a whole different set of rules. People outside of making films tend not to realize this.

They're made in completely different ways... both financially and artistically.

The key words being "budget" and "risk".

Even a large scale indendendent film is still made usually for less than a piddily 20 million (yes piddily). The less money you spend, the less risk you have.

The less money you spend, the less tickets you need to sell to break even, which means the less your movie needs to apppeal to a mass adience, which means the more chances you can safely take.

Is any of this sinking in?

Comparing Commercial and Independent films is like comparing 18-Wheel Trucks with Motorcycles.

...With that said, I personally like you asking if I think low-budget movies can't be of high quality.

Well hmm, let's see.... since my own current project is a large scale independent, I suppose that would mean I was saying my own movie sucks, now wouldn't it?

Nowhere did I say independents are by definition bad. Stop inferring things I never said.

...On another note, I think you're in need of a five minute film school lesson.

First off, it's dumb of you to roll your eyes at films using music from different films in their trailers.

This is not out of necessity, not by choice. Trailers are often released before the film have even completed shooting, let alone had it's score composed.

The reason the trailer for Gladiator, used the score from Conan is because Gladiator's score didn't exist yet. This has already been discussed on this forum, and you should know better.

Second, you need to stop using the word "remake" when you mean "adaptation".

Robin Hood, Titanic, LOTR, Hamlet, Charlie's Angels & Chicago are all adaptations of a Legend, Book, Play, Television Show or Historical event.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was not based on Errol Flynn's earlier film. They were both based on the original legend and are both adaptations.

Ocean's 11, Miracle and 34'th Street, A Fistful of Dollars or say... Psycho are remakes because they are based entirely on a pre-existing film.

Finally, I'd like to remind you that I have already said that there are "exceptions" to every rule, so you can spare the "But what about this guy!?" types of responses.

As for European films, yes, it is more common for one person to act as producer, director, writer, editor, star in, and even fund. These films, as with A LOT of European films, are Independent, which as we already established are entirely different from commercial films.

By the way, in Europe, this type person who does everything is called an "Auteur"... (Want the Hollywood term? "Hyphenate")

Anyways, I get the feeling you miswrote your opening argument in this thread (which started this whole mess) so I'll try to redo it for you.

Tell me if I'm close. Wink

"The problem with studio films like "Matrix: Revolutions" is there's so much risk involved that the creativity is stifled and we end up with a substandard product. I recommend instead seeing films that are made by an auteur... that is, one person who wrote, directed, produced, composed, acted and perhaps even PAID for the film. Personally I think this is the only way to guarantee good quality."

Is that what you were trying to say? If, so here's my response:

Your statement is jacked from the start because "Matrix: Revolutions" itself was made by an auteur. While they might have let their helpers take credit for a lot of things, the Warchowski Brothers had an unprecedented amount of control on the film. They had final say on everything. Even their bosses had to curtail to them.

So according to your statement, the two matrix sequels should be excellent films, and not the one with all the studio intervention that we saw in the first one.

Accoring to your statement, "Titanic", should also be a great film.

Want another? How about two? "Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones". (Unlike the original three which had plenty of involvement by the studio and other creative personel.)

Want another film like "The Matrix" where where the first one, under tight studio control, was better than the sequel where the director was allowed to do whatever he wanted? "Batman" & "Batman Returns".

I know you're a huge fan of Eastwood, but even some of his recent films have widely been considered doozeys too.

Having films made by Auteurs hardly guarrantees quality. If a film sucked it's not because of "the money" it's because of the people who made it.

Independent, Commercial, Auteur or a room full of suits, regardless of how a film gets made it's always a gamble whether or not it will be and good and only one thing can guarantee it:

That they're made well and tell a great story.
Norway Sensei
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Continues @ MSN Razz
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I like watching some of this drama….. Well I'll add my piece anyways.

This is an example that I often use on some of the arts theatre geeks in my school.
We shall use the story of a lady who sits on a park bench and opens her purse and pulls out an apple and eats it. She gets up and leaves… Now lets see the adaptations…

Independent, auteur~
Larry Bum Bum decides to shoot this film. He invests little money and creates his vision.
He has the lady come into the park, dressed in black. She looks sad as she sits down on the bench. She opens her purse and pulls out and ORANGE. She peels is slowly as an older couple walk by. A tear runs down her face. She looks back at the Orange and then gets up to leave.

Commercial Film~
Mr. Studio also decides to shoot this, except he wants a different vision, one that he thinks most people will like. So he calls his stock holders and pitches his Idea. The go for it and he begins shooting. He has the women enter the park in a black suit with sun glasses. She looks very mysterious. In the back round we see a PEPSI COLA machine. (which they got paid handsomely to add in) She takes her seat on the bench and recives a phone call. We notice the Samsung logo. She talks for a bit as she opens her purse and pulls out an apple. But just then she hangs up only to see a giant alien killing an elderly couple. We see the alien throw them up in the air about fifty feet. He catches them with his teeth and we see the guts spill out. (great special effects, best ever, it has raised competition in effect studios everywhere). The alien comes closer to the woman, and kicks a VOLVO out of its way. The woman grabs the apple and throws it at the alien. He eats and then blows up. Goo is sprayed everywhere. She gets up and leaves…..

Okay. So we have two different adaptations. BOTH SUCKED. And that’s the risk. The story was crap to begin with. Both sides failed. In one hand we had a boring mellow drama, in the other we had a sci-fi action flick with awesome effects and product placements…. It never matters what you invest. Its not about the money its about peoples visions, and trying to create a product. A hard gamble on both ends.

If it was "all about the money. " I would make a low budget film, with lots of popularity, and with product placement. Smile I could make money off of fans and corporations. Wink
graywolf
Commander
Commander

Member#: 2693

graywolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website graywolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyways, I get the feeling you miswrote your opening argument in this thread (which started this whole mess) so I'll try to redo it for you.

Quote:
Is that what you were trying to say? If, so here's my response:

Is anyone else worried we have entered new territory when cocles has a point/counterpoint with someone and rewrites the other persons stance for them? Very Happy
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As a professional, just be glad I'm not charging you for my services. Wink
BMS
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 3333

BMS is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website BMS's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like most people who post in these "how was matrix rev." threads, always don't like the movie or seem to have been expecting more. I thought it was a good movie, not as great as the first, but what do ya expect... the first one is what captured our attention so standards are set a little high I think. I wasn't impressed with the animtion in the second one, but it was good never the less. Third one had some really good fx. That's what I went for anyway. Wink
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: