StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Best score for an Alien movie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Best score for an Alien movie
Alien - Jerry Goldsmith
53%
 53%  [ 15 ]
Aliens - James Horner
32%
 32%  [ 9 ]
Alien 3 - Elliot Goldenthal
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Alien: Resurrection - John Frizzell
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:37 am   Post subject: Best score for an Alien movie Reply with quote

I think that's a pretty tough choice since these are all quite cool scores.

Last edited by shock on Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Aliens was one of Horner's bland affairs. Even though some of the action music wasx quite racey he still relied too heavily on percussion I think. Plus of course more excessive plagerism from his own scores.

Mellow Cool
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really into the Aliens series. Saw if first at school when I was in Grade 7 in a class party - had nightmares for years. Now that I'm older (I think Laughing ), the Aliens movies don't interest me.
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:22 pm   Post subject: The Merits of Alien Scores Reply with quote

I'd put Jerry Goldsmith's score for the original above all the others... James Horner's was ok, but as always he has a bit of a tendency to rip off his earlier work.
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5444

Gr81 is offline View user's profile Send private message Gr81's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would go to both Jerry Goldsmith's score to Alien and James Horner's score to Aliens. They are much superior to the two sequel scores that followed. I would like to see a complete score CD release to Alien very soon. Varese Sarabande Records included some material from Alien in that deluxe CD Club release on Jerry Goldsmith's birthday, so I'm thinking that they might release an Alien: The Deluxe Edition CD at some point this year (especially since it's the 25th anniversary of the film).
Cadet 3

Member#: 5084

Zharnak is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Zharnak's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with the statement that Horner ripped off his earlier works: ST2:Wrath of Khan, Aliens, and Patriot Games are all basicly the same soundtrack, though I've never sat down watched them back to back (just didn't like Harrsion Ford as Jack Ryan, but that's off topic). I would say though I liked the Alien soundtrack the best, but enjoyed Aliens the best out of the movies, prefered the action to the creepy scares.
Keith Moore
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 55

Keith Moore is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Keith Moore's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aliens score has a few jolt moments that always startle me if I'm not paying attention. And I've always liked that one cut, what's it called...they use it in too many trailers.

Just watched the workprint edition of Alien3 the other day. Soundtrack wasn't bad, not quite beneath the skin like the first two. Definitely a better version of the film.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, Zharnak, I have to protest! Although I don't know all of Horner's scores I think that Wrath of Khan is one of his best and far, far superior to Aliens. It is emotional, exciting, tense and in places downright spooky. Although Aliens used a lot of the score again, in Wrath of Khan all the music just seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I'd like to hear an expanded version of this score.

Great stuff!
Poland Bercik
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 4167

Bercik is offline View user's profile Send private message Bercik's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Goldsmith's Alien siuts me like any other of the Alien movie soundtracks. So, I put my vote on him.
Canada holojedi
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 949

holojedi is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website holojedi's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly enjoy all the Alien soundtrack, But the most complete to my souvenir ALIENS.
Rune
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 6101

Rune is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Rune's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Jerry Goldsmith's ALIEN - One of the most innovative and "uncomfortable" soundtracks back then, and to this day. The main title still scares the s*** outta me. What the hell is that howling sound anyway?! I really wanna know! Shocked

2. James Horner's ALIENS - Right on the tail of ALIEN, Horner proves that horror is his thing too. A nice contrast to all his "cute" scores. Main title rocks, but sounds like a moderate rip-off from a passage in 2001.

3. Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN3 - One of Goldenthal's best scores EVER! Again, the main title rules this soundtrack. Like Goldsmith, Goldenthal includes a very distinct sound-effect, which I can only describe as an electric distant distorted helicopter. One of his trademarks now.

4. John Frizzell's ALIEN RESURRECTION - Don't really like this score all that much. Only the main title has touches of something interesting.
DavisViceIII
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 5773

DavisViceIII is offline View user's profile Send private message DavisViceIII's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you just cant beat Jerry Goldsmith but they all were good scores
rafusmx
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 5582

rafusmx is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail rafusmx's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien saga is one of my favorite movie series, after the Godfather, but the last one was really disapointing...
Zharnak
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 5084

Zharnak is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Zharnak's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't like the Khan soundtrack, just that all three soundtracks use primarily the same elements. In fact Khan is probably my favorite ST movie, I can just about quote it line for line. The theme worked well for Khan and Aliens, but just didn't seem to fit Patriot Games. It's been a long time since watching that one, I'll have to fire it up and watch it with an ear to the music.
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Goldenthal includes a very distinct sound-effect, which I can only describe as an electric distant distorted helicopter. One of his trademarks now.

The sound you're talking about is produced by a steel-cello. A very cool instrument btw. It stands for the Alien in Alien 3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: