StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Lord of the Rings Concert
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5089

TrickSpine is offline View user's profile Send private message TrickSpine's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a question to the folks that have already seen this concert: was it ALL the music from the 3 movies? by all, was it all, all Question
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

nope it was a sellection from the scores.
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TrickSpine is offline View user's profile Send private message TrickSpine's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, so how long is it then? ( i know it's in 6 movements, but i mean time-wise.)
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
Before the intermission they played 40 minutes of FotR tracks. Same as on the score. After the break he played the TTT and the RotK tracks. Half an hour each.

Reading is difficult I know...
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

so, is it worth it? i'm about to travel into another country via two ferries and a lot of long drives. in your opinion, is it worth it?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something you need to decide for yourself. It is a two hour concert (break excluded) in a large hall with thousands of people.

To me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity I didn't want to miss. But I only had to drive 5 hours for it with the train, and I stayed in a nice cheap hotel in Antwerp.
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmm. well, it sounded like it was more trouble for you than it would be for me. so, i guess you're saying you enjoyed it... Laughing is it something that you would give anything to relive?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl

Want to know me favourite color too?

EDIT: typo *sigh*

Last edited by Caliburn on Sat May 15, 2004 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it Cal, what is it Cal? Laughing Now I won't be able to sleep if you don't tell me *sarcasm*.
Cadet 1

Member#: 3508

allrite is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website allrite's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:31 pm   Post subject: Sydney LOTR Symphony Concert Review Reply with quote

I saw the LOTR Symphony concert last night with Howard Shore conducting the Sydney Symphony Orchestra at the Sydney Opera House. In short, wonderful!

I have written a full length review with a listing of the music at: http://allrite.net/webworld/?q=lotrsymphony

allrite
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody, I was fortunate enough to catch a performance of the Lord of the Rings Symphony at the Canadian National Arts Centre in Ottawa this evening. Rising star Hayley Westenra from New Zealand was on hand to handle the featured vocalist role, and Alexander Mickelthwate of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra served as conductor. Howard Shore was also in attendance and popped up on stage at the end to present flowers to Miss Westenra and to join the musicians for a round of applause.

The performance was generally excellent. It featured the entire National Arts Centre Orchestra, augmented with a large number of extra players. I believe that there were seven percussionists in total, and there were certainly more double bassists than I've ever seen in one orchestra before. Suffice it to say that it was a very large emsemble. They were supported by the Festival Chorus, a massive group drawn from various different Ottawa choirs.

The highlight of the night was definitely the two movements that were made up of selections from the Two Towers score. Westenra's voice was very well suited for Gollum's song, which was exceptionally well done. The orchestra was also at its best for these movements. There were a few slight miscues during the other two movements. The concertmaster was slightly late at the outset of one of his solos during the Return of the King segment. The boy soprano who was picked to solo during the Fellowship of the Ring segment had a good voice, but he was having a bit of trouble controlling it. And although Westenra gave a good performance of Into the West, her young voice hasn't yet matured to the point where she can belt out the kind of power that Annie Lennox lent to the original soundtrack version.

Nevertheless, these were minor problems and they detracted very little from the overall impact of the symphony. The audience, which appeared to be at capacity, seemed to really enjoy the evening and gave a lengthy standing ovation after the final movement.

Like the other performances of this symphonic suite, the music was supported by projections of production art from the film. To be honest, I didn't spend much time looking at them because I was concentrating on the musicians. The percussion was especially interesting, as it featured several instruments that I had never seen on a stage before. There also seemed to be something along the lines of a prepared piano (hello, John Cage!) in the percussion section. It produced some great sounds.

All in all, I had a great time. I'd definitely advise you all to check out this piece if it comes to your region!
Postman
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 234

Postman is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Postman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Next thursday (septmeber 9th) there will be a LotR concert in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. The performance will include a symfonic suite from LotR by Howard Shore, and the 1st symfony of Johan de Meij: 'The Lord of the Rings" (composed in 1988). The storyteller with the symfony is Christopher Lee. Another LotR score is from Leonard Rosenman from 1978.

Tickets available on the Concertgebouw website
Belgium Tron
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4034

Tron is offline View user's profile Send private message Tron's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

2 funfacts:

- The flemish radio orchestra is currently recording the ST of the Aviator by Howard Shore, with Howard Shore down here in Leuven Belgium (where I live). He discovered the orchestra during a lotr concert 6 months ago.

-next year in May Ennio Morricone is going to perform in the Sportspalace with the Flemish Radio Orchestra during the film festival.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: