StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Req's/Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yvond
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 39

Yvond is offline View user's profile Send private message Yvond's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:08 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Gladiator Man,

I like the idea of being able to request 2 songs, even if it means we can only request one set of songs every 3 hours. However, I noticed that you have cut down the "Played" Queue down to the last 25 songs played instead of the past 99 songs. This is a problem because I can't tell what songs have been played recently enough to affect my decision as to what songs I actually try to request. As a result, I tried picking a couple of songs today that had been played recently and was denied. This left me with only a single pick---thereby negating the usefulness of having the ability to pick 2 songs to begin with.

I've thought some about the whole "pick a song already played and you lose a request" problem, and I think that it could be circumvented if you had a simple script which pulled the request before it was sent to AudioRealm (intercepted it, I guess), checked it against the played Queue, and flagged you if there was a match. If not, then the script passed the request onto AudioRealm. This would get around the problem, but would require some hacking, I suppose. I believe it is possible, though.

Also, I would like to be able to see the past 99 songs played, since it does, at times, influence my request decision. I understand that you may wish to limit the Played Queue if you are thinking of enforcing the "no same two requests within X days" rule (which I do think is a good idea), but can there be some sort of compromise?

One last thing--at one point in time, after we requested a song, the website didn't pop up a new window telling you if your request was successful or not--it just displayed the AudioRealm results in the current "Request window". I liked this a lot, since it limited the number of pop-up windows while requesting. In addition, the request window remains small, while the AudioReals results window is set to the default browser window size, which tends to be rather large. (Confused?) If possible, I'd like to see the request results remain within the smaller request window again. It's not annoying that way, and provides a more streamlined requesting system.

Thanks for listening to my comments...and keep up the great work!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Yvond
chriss_co
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 64

chriss_co is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website chriss_co's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:04 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I just recently requested an already played song but i was still able to select two.

I like this format better but what happens on the weekends? cuz already, its 2/hr unless that has been changed?

Another alternative is (if its possible) to have the number of requests based on the number of tracks queued. ie. if 2-3 tracks are requested people can request 2-3 but if the queue ends up 25-30 then only 1 track can be requested
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:27 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I liked better the 99 songs list because now, even though the number of requests is smaller, there's still the possibility of listening the same songs over and over because in three hours they'd have gone out of the list.

As Chris, I wonder how difficult would be a 'intelligent' system which would reduce the number of requests depending on the length of the queue.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:54 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Well, Esp, that would be simplicity itself for us IT Professionals...

You just create a service that reads the queue page and interprets it, decides what request rate is necessary, and sets it. Schedule it to run every ten minutes or something.

But of course I don't know how the request rate can be set, if it's a web frontend I think it would be easy to do, if not, you'd need an API of some sort.

Well enough tech talk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:24 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I just see that the request is 2/4. I am not really in favor for that. The problem is that people request 2 songs, which makes the queue very long. And most people request 2 songs of the same album, which I dislike when the two songs are not a combination (like Lucia and the Dance of the 5th Element album).

I prefer a 1/2 far more than a 2/4. I believe this makes the queue smaller and will contain more different songs. To me it makes the stream more fun to listen to.

And to wait for hours to request a song is to long. That means I can request one maybe two times while I am working. I prefer to wait 2 hours to request only one song.

As it is now I tend to listen more to my own soundtracks instead to the stream. And that is of course a bad thing.
USA Hart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 53

Hart is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Hart's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:42 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I like being able to request two tracks, and I think 180 minutes between requests is a decent compromise in getting more tracks played. My only problem is forgetting to write down when I requested, and then being shut out for 3 hours again...To think of all the money I wasted on ginseng...
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:32 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Ok, well I wanted to try something new. I figured by having 2 songs at a time, even if the crossfader eats on of the you will still hear 1 of the songs. Besides, I thought it would be more fun to do 2 at a time. This was a learning experience and actually it still is. I think we can all agree now that 2 songs no matter how long the time limit is, is too many. Because the Queue got out of control again today. And hearing "rock blocks" (2 songs from each st) is a little annoying. I will be calibrating the requests allowed the next few days to see what works best, so bear with me. Thanks for the feedback all, and keep it coming. FYI, my ideal queue is mostly requests but the computer picks maybe 10% so we will hear something new occasionally. That is hard to balance but I'll come as close to that as possible. The queue should definately be no more than 10.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:25 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

How about 1 request every half hour?
Nitric
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 231

Nitric is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Nitric's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:53 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I agree 1/2 isn't enough, plus if you request too soon you have to wait another 2 hours. 1 request every half hour would be great but 1/1 would also be better then the 1/2.

just a thought
-Nitric
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:40 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I agree that I would love to have one request every half hour but, after recent experiences, I bet the queue would be over one hundred songs long in a matter of minutes, not to mention that for those who love to abuse the queue this would be a dream.
I guess 1/2 is not as bad as requesting your song and having to wait three hours to listen to it as is happening these days. In fact, it's better from my point of view, at least you know that you are going to be able to listen to your song within a reasonable time.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:40 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I have a dream that one day we will have to log in, before we can request a song... I also dream that some people get more picks than the others.. Maybe Jeric can award good DJ's by giving them more picks than others, because if you would need to register it means jeric can log all requests and see which guys are good and which not.

Okay this would all be very subjective, but I mean he is the boss right?
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:18 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I have this dream where this giant talking waffle wearing a crown shows up at my door and starts kicking my ass for all the fun I make of him on SST... hmm but yes... it might be nice to have to log in to request. Contributing members get 2 every hour... everyone else gets 1 ever 2 hours.

Of course the reward system works... except I personally have more experience with reprimands than rewards.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:22 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

It is indeed an idea. Lets just say you have to log on before you can request a song. Your account will be enabled when you have donated to the site, lets say minimal $2.

I seriously think this will convince more people to donate. Listening to the stream is free. If you want to request pay 2 bucks.

I think that is a great deal. 2 bucks a month is no money.

Advantages:
  • req/hour can be set higher again. Most of the people who donates, pick good and different songs which makes the queue more fun to listen to. When the queue is empty, you can listen to (new) random songs
I like others opinions on this. I like the idea.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:24 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I like YOU Cal... *wink wink*
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:44 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

There was already a Post, Help/Problems with requests. It seems the problem has become worse.

I liked this place because it was free, but it's a real pity to see the mess that some people are making of it, maybe paying in order to be able to request would make this place as good as it used to be.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: