StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Req's/Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
expat
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 147

expat is offline View user's profile Send private message expat's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:58 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I agree with Cal on this, almost everybody can afford $2. Maybe on the weekends requests could be opened up to non-paying members again.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:06 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

This place has just become more crowded that's all... and the ratio of lurkers to active members has stayed the same.
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:49 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Yup, but also the amount of people abusing the system has grown, I can't believe that four different people have decided at the same time to request a theme from The Goonies (10/9/2002, 10:45 AM), I guess this needs some control, and it has been proven that just banning IP's doesn't work.
Lieutenant

Member#: 39

Yvond is offline View user's profile Send private message Yvond's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:04 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I like the discussion going on here--I was quite surprised to see 17 messages when I logged on this morning. [Big Grin]

Anyway, logging into SST in order to be able to request might be nice, but I also like Jeric's idea of having the computer pick songs at random a certain percentage of the time. Jeric bosts of, what, 10,000(?) tracks now, and consistantly, which is unfortunate, I hear the same old songs being requested over and over and over and over again--which again reminds me of that "Weird Al" song, "This Song's only Six Words Long." I love "Weird Al", and have had front row, or almost front row, tickets to several of his concerts, but that type of mentality isn't very amenable to StreamingSoundtracks.com.

My concern is that if we have to log into request, then the variety of songs queued up will become even slimmer, thereby relegating SST to just another one of "those" radio stations--where the same pop music is played to death until everyone, and justifyably so, is so sick of it that they never want to hear it again. As an example, I'm as big of a Star Wars music fan as any, but I must confess, I've gotten pretty tired of of hearing the "Battle of Yavin", "End Title 1", "End Title 2", "End Title 4", "End Title 5", etc., etc., etc. consistantly being played here everyday.

And I have another confession to make as well--I'm just as bad as everyone else here. I love requesting "Vampire Killer", "The Map Room and Dawn", "Sing, Sing, Sing", and several others...and now that The Goonies is available, I'm in heaven (and I'm very sad to see that 4 of the best Goonies songs have already been requested today and I wasn't even here to listen to them! Which reminds me, don't be too quick to judge and say that it was the same person requesting those Goonies tracks--I know that there are a lot of undercover fans out there that don't like to admit to it! [Big Grin] )

Anyway, having some computerized help might alievate some of these problems. With the rating schemes in place, they could even act as weighted scores to determine the frequency at which the computer would be willing to pick them. More coding, but hey, Jeric has all the time in the world, doesn't he? [Wink]

My point earlier about the 2/3 hr. or 2/4 hr. is that even though the queue showed just the last 25 songs played, I think we still had to wait for the next 99 songs to be played before we could request it again. The AudioRealm problem I think needs to be addressed if Jeric ever decides to go to multiple requests per hour, which is a definate possiblity with Cal and Cocles' idea. I like the idea--I really do--I just have some concerns, that's all.

Anyway, I'm rambling now...
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:51 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I wish I could still display the last 98 songs played. Remember when SST went down last week? Well, that is becuase we exceeded the allowed bandwidth for that month. It was pretty shitty of Powweb to do this on the last day of the month and I had to pay $16 just to get the site back up. So I have to do things now to conserve bandwidth. The page that uses the most is the Queue/Played page. When and if I adopt the new Streaming Audio Manager, this will not be an issue. We'll just have to suck it up for now.

BTW, I think 1/2 worked pretty well today. On weekends I think I'll lift it to either 1/1 or 2/2. But weekend traffic has increased considerably recently so we'll see how that goes.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
SlowMo
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:43 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Well I don't think paying is really necessary, as some people have pointed out : if less people are able to request songs, the variety of songs will be smaller.

What would be nice is to require registration (log-on) in order to be able to request.

This will either allow Jeric to set the number of requests per hour per user individually; he can see who's hot (in DJ terms) and who's not.

Another option, although more complicated to make would then be a DJ rating system, where the playing song also displayed the user who requested it.

And Cocles : I won't kick your ass for persisting on pestering me with the waffle thing. I might torture you with a waffle iron though.
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:23 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Anyone who's has an internet connection but claims they can't afford 2 bucks should be shot.

Ahh... [Smile] SlowMy, I bet you own several waffle irons too, don't you?

Work Waffles...
Casual Waffles....
Beach Waffles...
Sunday Church Waffles... (Yvond would like those)
Sexy Waffles...
Cold Weather Waffles...

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Nitric
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 231

Nitric is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Nitric's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:34 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

I like the idea of having to log in to request because that would make sure that the people requesting were dedicated enough to sign up. I don't like the idea of having to donate to request because I am a poor college student and don't have extra money to spend on requesting songs when I can just download them for free anyway. I like listening to this station because of the variety of the people, I’ve herd new songs that I really like and I’ve been able to request songs that I know I like.

-Nitric
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:55 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Yvond:
...and now that The Goonies is available, I'm in heaven (and I'm very sad to see that 4 of the best Goonies songs have already been requested today and I wasn't even here to listen to them! Which reminds me, don't be too quick to judge and say that it was the same person requesting those Goonies tracks--I know that there are a lot of undercover fans out there that don't like to admit to it! [Big Grin] )...

I agree that there might be many undercover fans of this ST, if there are people who request Moulin Rouge over and over, I can accept it. But when in a group of five songs, four are from The Goonies, I don't buy that is a coincidence. Maybe if they'd be scattered among other songs ...

I've seen this happening too many times and as it was quoted

"First time is coincidence, second time is happenstance, third time is enemy action"
- Goldfinger -

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:00 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

"First time is suspicous, second time is warning, third time is ban"

-JERIC

Nitric
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Nitric is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Nitric's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:53 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

i don't pay for my internet connection. and like i said i like this station but i don't think i would pay to listen to it.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:13 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

That breaks my heart.

USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:54 am   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Yeah Nitric, but the fact that you're here posting, and a student means you're not some poor grovelling guy on the street without a penny to his name.

The fact is, you can afford the two bucks but you're cheap and trying to give lame excuses.

At least you were finally honest and said you simply wouldn't pay money for this site.

That's fine, you're just part of the problem. So sit down and shut up while we wrack our brains to keep this station going for freeloaders like yourself.

Enjoy the show. [Big Grin]
Nitric
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 3:30 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

HEY! i'm trying to help the reason i listen to this site is because i can request songs, and if i wasn't able to do that i would problbly just go listen to a diffrent stream, i'm just one voice of many that i'm sure feel the same way. if you don't want my opinion anymore than i'll leave.

-Nitric

PS: how do you know my financial situation? i go to a community college and get finical aid because i can't pay for it myself but i shouldn’t have to tell you this. i have about $9 until the end of the month and i have bills to pay too, i don’t have a car so what the fuck are you saying that i’m cheap??? YOU should sit down and shut up.
Nitric
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:19 pm   Post subject: Req's/Hour Reply with quote

Back to the subject which was req's/hr. I'm sitting here around 11pm PST and there are three things in the queue, I agree with something that was said before, a queue that changes with time so that something like 11pm-5am PST the queue could be 3/1, and for the busy times back to 1/2 or even 1/3 if it's really busy.

-Nitric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: