StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

An early take on Harry Potter 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5089

TrickSpine is offline View user's profile Send private message TrickSpine's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:29 am   Post subject: An early take on Harry Potter 3. Reply with quote

Yesterday, (Saturday, the 29th), I saw the premiere of 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban', (I don't know why it came here 6 days early, but it was free for me and I got complimentary Harry Potter Lego, muahahahah).

I have to say, that is one flucked up movie. *I modify my profanity due to half-a$$ed manners* It's not bad, it's just sooooooo different from what I got used to with the other two previous. A few of the small differences I can feasibly describe: different quidditch uniforms, Hagrid's house is on the other side of the castle on a hill, and for one scene, Harry's scar is on the other side of his forehead *shrugs bewildered shrug*

I enjoyed it a lot and several reviewers have claimed that it's the best of the movies so far.
Spoiler:
As everyone has been saying, it is A LOT darker. In fact, it is all darkness. All daylight scenes were overcast and I felt sad that Hogwart's was suffering such horrible weather this/that particular year. (I was actually kinda scared - I had no idea what to expect. Dementors = Shocked )

I liked it because it was something adults could enjoy a lot more, (there were maybe four jokes that were aimed at kids). I'm just so used to having these movies explained to death for me that the scenes being so patchy was a little bit difficult to get used to. But, that's just me having to get it in my thick head that things are allowed to change - everyone is going to have their own take on the Harry universe.

But, my oh my. I haven't read the books, (one of my more feeble revolts against pop culture), and I was totally not prepared for the beginning of this movie.

Spoiler:
The other two movies Harry was all, "I'm Harry Potter, let's drink some tea and defend those being bullied." In this movie he's all, "Ahhhhhhhh! Shut up! Shut up! Shut UP!" He freaks out! I think he's got the teen angst going on. The unhinging has begun. j/k. Anyways, I was shocked at how much more ......um.... emotional he is in this movie.

Gary Oldman seemed to fill his tiny roll quite enthusiastically. You can tell that he's enjoying himself, much the way you could tell that Kenneth Branagh was enjoying himself in 'Chamber of Secrets'. (And who wouldn't enjoy taking a bit of a break from the Shakespeare to indulge in a little Potter?)

One thing that was a bit odd to me was the climax and I'm not the only one to say this. It was clearly explained a lot better in the book and in the movie it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's also rather anti-climactic. But, meh. Minor details in my mind. Also, maybe it was just too early in the morning, or I may have brain damage, but it seemed like a bit too much to take in during one viewing. This is a good thing. (The film may be more comprehensive to two groups other than one that I fit into: a) those who have read the book and have a grip on the plot or b) those who really don't care to understand it and all of its details.

All and all, I love it, and will undoubtedly see it again at least once. (I have a bad habit of seeing movies repeatedly in theatres.) Next Friday go out and see it and share what you thought.

(EDIT Cal: Added the new spoiler functionality)
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TrickSpine is offline View user's profile Send private message TrickSpine's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

dudes, my post doesn't spoil anything.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When you start giving away errors made between this movie and the last two, you're giving stuff away.

If you're not sure what it is you're getting nailed for, might I suggest asking, instead of immediately denying it and being a little snot.
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

someone has their panties in a bunch. telling errors is not giving things away. it gives no indication of plot. are people like, "i couldn't possibly go see it now that i know that the uniforms are different! my God, Hagrid's hut is on the other side?! what monster would give this away?!" ?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, listing the differences between the previous two films and this one is a grey area, and requires a judgement call.

In my opinion it is always better to err on the side of caution.

As an admin/mod, it is my job to make those kinds of calls.

As a user, it is your job to repect those calls.

Stop trying to make yourself look big by taking on one of the admins.

If you don't like the way things are run here, go somewhere else.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, that post contains spoilers. Good thing I am not a Potter-fan :-)

Always be on the safe side and add warnings then, there are people who don't want to know what you just said in your first post.
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough. i can respect that.
graywolf
Commander
Commander

Member#: 2693

graywolf is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website graywolf's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

spoiler text so highlight if you want to see it

Spoiler:
OK first off I liked the movie, but if you didn't read the book I don't know if you'll understand the movie at all. There were a lot of details and subtleties that were l left out or glossed over in the movie, prime example the time travel clock watch necklace

Spoiler:
Did the continuity department get zapped? I mean where did all the hills/mountians come from? Hagrid never leved at the bottom of a hill WTF?

Spoiler:
Lastly ok I'll admit I'm one of those people who bitched and moaned about how long ROTK was, but man this movie went by at breakneck speed, I felt like I was in a wind tunnel

Ok with all that said I did like the movie, it was fun little bit of escapism, and damn that spiderman trailer chorus rocks in surround sound!
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i definitely agree on all counts. Very Happy
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Potter 3 had stylish visuals, cool looking interiors that reminded me of clocks, and David Thewlis was an awesome Lupin. He did a great job bringing out the psychological depth in the story. Emma Thompson was so funny, she just killed as Professor Trelawny!

Overall, I had a good time and the core friendship between Harry, Hermione, and Ron was honored. I wonder if young kids will find it too serious?

Spoiler:
I agree with Trick that there was so much happening in the second half that I felt slightly dissatisfied by the prison break climax. The hills and placement of the castle and Hagrid's cottage was a bit unsettling, but it added to the darker image of the film.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I had talked to a friend of mine who is about in love with Harry Potter as I am with Lord Of The Rings... Spoiler:
He explained to me that I should just look at the chages in the film as that its a world built on magis, and why the heck couldn't they just move or change things with magic... I am not a reader of the books, I read the first two, but hopefully his suggestion will make me understand the differesnces.
TrickSpine
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the movie again for the.......... 3rd time [embarrassed mumbling], I come to consider a fault I mentioned earlier. Spoiler:
When I said before that there is one scene where Harry's scar is on the wrong side of his head - I'm thinking now that that is for good reason. In that scene the camera plays a lot, moving in and out of the mirror of the cabinet that the bogart (sp?) is being kept in. I'm assuming that the scar is backwards because that shot is supposedly seen through the mirror. So, they're excused and I feel like an idiot for having assumed that they would have made such an obvious movie mistake.But, can't take it back now. Rolling Eyes Live and learn ... or... notice??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: