StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Opinions on Bubba Ho-Tep soundtrack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:17 pm   Post subject: Opinions on Bubba Ho-Tep soundtrack? Reply with quote

I was wondering what other people thought about the Bubba Ho-Tep soundtrack?

The main theme that shows up in "The King" is similar to the Dune Messiah theme from Children of Dune and is reworked several times throughout the soundtrack at different intensities. I really enjoyed the Elvis-themed hard rock guitar edge and slightly middle eastern sounding chorus. There's an element of horror cheesiness but it didn't go overboard.

Brian Tyler has a nice ear for melodies but his tracks are too short! For all of Horner and Zimmer's faults, Tyler could learn a thing about musical development and mixing several motifs from their longer tracks. Anyhow, I was really happy to hear a guitar heavy soundtrack with some innovative genre-mixing sounds.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be good.. you gotta link?
Storyteller
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 5256

Storyteller is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Storyteller's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my current favs.

The tracks being too short can be contributed to the way the film was directed. The movie itself runs at a very brisk 92 mins. It didn't even feel that long. There are very few scenes that the director allows Brian to develop any fully realized pieces. While there are many tracks, I felt that they flowed very well into each other.

One of my favorite pieces is "All Is Well".

While not perfection, this is still a must have soundtrack in my honest opinion.

To answer your question Cocles:

http://www.bubbahotep.com/cd.html

Saint
Ensign

Storyteller is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Storyteller's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I forgot to mention was that there are some slight similarities to Brian's guitar work in "Six String Samurai". He seems to have approached this soundtrack with some of the same methodology used in that score.

I haven't really heard that much of "Children Of Dune", so I can't comment on any similarities there.

Saint
Commander

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For short audioclips of Bubba Ho-Tep, you can check out:
http://www.briantyler.com/audioclips.html

For a 30 track album, I feel that only about 10 tracks are worth listening to because there is a lot of atmospheric music and it does repeat a few simple themes. That should factor into any decision to get the whole album. I agree with Storyteller that it's worth a listen, but it might not be for people who tend to like orchestra-heavy scores. This soundtrack has more of a rock and horror movie flavor.
Storyteller
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"it might not be for people who tend to like orchestra-heavy scores. This soundtrack has more of a rock and horror movie flavor."

This is very true. In fact, I consider this score more for people who are kind of tired of the same old scores. The only point I don't agree on is that it only has 10 tracks worth listening to. I love listening to this score from front to back without stoping. Idon't do that with too many soundtracks.

JMHO.

Saint
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

After several more listens, I feel this is one of the best soundtrack purchases I have made this year. The short atmospheric tracks are not very obtrusive which makes it easy to take in the whole album. In terms of the 10 tracks, I meant that people are more likely to gravitate towards those tracks and request them if SST were to obtain this. My favorite tracks are the King's Highway, Shady Rest, PBBS, and Body Bag of Fun.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Tyler, cool, shall I move this topic into Requests?

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevemind, I bought it!

USA zirael
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeric! I hope everyone enjoys it.
mickeybumps97
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4092

mickeybumps97 is offline View user's profile Send private message mickeybumps97's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a real big fan of it. But, it works.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am not a real big fan of it. But, it works."

So what didn't you like? I'm just curious. I disliked 4 empty ambient sound cues, but the good stuff outweighed the unevenness of the effort. Tyler doesn't seem like some composers that take the time to craft every track so it's listenable. This score probably works better with the film itself. It's no Children of Dune, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I like it. I can see that I will like it the more I listen to it.

Storyteller
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you like it Jeric. I truly believe that people well fall in love with this one once it's up.

Story
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: