StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Loving the score and hating the movie?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Can you love a particular filmscore if you really dislike the movie where it's from?
Yes, movie and score are two seperate things.
73%
 73%  [ 36 ]
No, I constantly have to think about that annoying movie which ruins my listening experience.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Hmm, yes and no, it will never be one of my favourite scores, but I can actually enjoy listening to it.
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

Jazzelyne
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 5682

Jazzelyne is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzelyne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:11 am   Post subject: Loving the score and hating the movie? Reply with quote

Just curious... Rolling Eyes
Cadet 3

Member#: 6459

__Daedalus__ is offline View user's profile Send private message __Daedalus__'s Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Timemachine, awful film, great score.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I have to argue with the way you have the poll phrased.

Yes, I can love a score and hate the film, but that's not because I think they're two separate things.
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5444

Gr81 is offline View user's profile Send private message Gr81's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One great example would be Masters of the Universe. Great score, extremely awful film.
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's all about the music, I would say I haven't seen half the films that I have scores for.

Besides, being a huge Jerry Goldsmith fan you have to love the music because he has scored some duffer films!
Jazzelyne
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 5682

Jazzelyne is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzelyne's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The emerging result of the poll is a little surprise to me. I thought that for many people the connection between score and movie would be more important.

When I listen to a score, I feel the mood of the movie again and relive the scenes as I remember them. So to me it can diminish my listen experience when I hate the movie, even if the music itself isn't that bad. I also would not easily buy a soundtrack in the store of a movie which I didn't like.

@ Mellowman: On what basis do you decide to purchase a soundtrack, if you haven't seen the movie? On previous scores from the same composer? And aren't you curious to see the film afterwards?

@ Cocles: How would you phrase it otherwise?
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for a start SST is a fantastic place to hear new music from scores! I've bought 4 or 5 on the basis of what I've heard here and have a dozen or so on my wish list because I've heard them here!

I also listen to a score show we have here in the UK called music from the movies. Different websites have mp3 samples you can hear. Sometimes I'll borrow a soundtrack from the library and then buy it (Jurassic Park, Remains Of The Day, X-Men, Mummy Returns to name but a few).

Plus I'll buy scores on the basis of a review or recommendation from someone I respect.

So, no, I don't need to see the film at all. And films like Remains of the Day I don't really have any desire to watch but the music I love!

But that's just me!!
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have asked just Yes, No or Maybe and not tried to second guess the voter's reasoning.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think a score can be completely separate from its film. If the music was written for a film, the film is an inextricable part of its identity.

But still, bad movies have inspired some great scores. Just as an example: I love Henry Mancini's score for Lifeforce, but the movie is campy crap. Smile
soundTrack_nut
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2714

soundTrack_nut is offline View user's profile Send private message soundTrack_nut's Favorites are Private
AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah of course. Red Planet is one. The movie wasnt the best but it wasnt good. The score and the songs in the score though I really really liked. I cant find out what they are saying on the score though. I think its Latin or something. Hm....
Returning January - SciFi Channel
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Gr81 is offline View user's profile Send private message Gr81's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Goldsmith's score to the remake of The Haunting was really good, even though the movie sucked. Hollow Man, another crappy movie, featured a really good Goldsmith score.
Lieutenant

Member#: 12015

dragon_Angel_05 is offline View user's profile Send private message View dragon_Angel_05's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

"Last Action Hero" is my example. I didn't like the film, but I did like Michael Kamen's scores as well as the final score, "Big Mistake". Out of all the scores in this film, i think it's the softest one I've ever heard. Very Happy
Gr81
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman and Robinis another one. One of Goldenthal's finest scores, but such a horrible film!
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, what cocles said
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10921

workervr is offline View user's profile Send private message View workervr's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

flowers in the attic.. great score sappy movie of note however i like it more and more everytime i see it (which is a stretch) just because of the score!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: