StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Van Helsing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
__Daedalus__
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 6459

__Daedalus__ is offline View user's profile Send private message __Daedalus__'s Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 1:33 pm   Post subject: Van Helsing Reply with quote

I saw a trailer for it earlier on today, and it looked fantastic! Has anyone here seen it yet?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, unless someone's seen a sneak preview, I don't think it's out yet.
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out May 7...
Ensign

Member#: 5773

DavisViceIII is offline View user's profile Send private message DavisViceIII's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great. I saw a trailor for it about 3-4 months ago and have beeen waiting for it ever since. And seeing the score completely requested out makes me think that it is a pretty good one even though i have yet to hear it.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was excited about seeing this film, but it was a big letdown because of the silly storyline involving Dracula and his brides.

I think Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale tried to deliver good performances under the circumstances, but their dialogue was horrible, not humorous as intended.

Since the characters could do crazy stunts like rope swinging that defied all laws of physics, it made the action sequences less than convincing.

Everything was overblown-too much CGI that looked like the Scorpion King in Mummy Returns, Silvestri's score was too loud during some moments when it could have provided a lull before the action sequences, and the screen was usually cluttered with extras and/or mechanical equipment, which distracted me from following the main characters.

I'm sure some people will enjoy Van Helsing as a campy popcorn summer flick but it was a bit too mindless for me.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw it this weekend. I really appreciated what the production team was trying to do with it... incorporating elements of many different 19th Century stories into a 21st Century summer action flick. I went into the movie expecting camp, and I got what I expected. I still had fun, though.

The heroic trio of characters were all quite likable, too. Hugh Jackman was suitably gruff, Kate Beckinsale was definitely winsome (but still tough), and David Wenham showed what a good actor he is by turning in a performance that is radically different from his turn in The Return of the King.

So, in short, if you're expecting this year's oscar for best picture, you certainly won't find it here. But if you just want some mindless fun for a couple of hours, Van Helsing will do just fine.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I should note that I really enjoyed the humor and action in the Mummy and the Mummy Returns and was not expecting such a clunker.

The film couldn't generate much tension because Dracula was slimy and not scary, plus Van Helsing and Anna didn't seem like they were in much danger due to their special abilities. In these films, the end of the world should be imminent and without that, the film falls flat.

When I saw several people getting up from their seats to get more popcorn in the middle of the film, I knew it was bad. At least during the quieter moments in Silvestri's score, I heard a nice love theme. That was the best part of the film.
Keith Moore
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 55

Keith Moore is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Keith Moore's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught this one over the weekend. Once again we have a big Hollywood summer flick suffering from a flat script. Sets were great, special FX cool, even the actors were fine. But I just couldn't get into it. Sort of like digging into what appears to be an amazing cake only to discover it tastes like plain sugar. Blah.

I'll give the ending a little credit (without spoilers, of course). Didn't take the most obvious course.
USA Maeltne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 6602

Maeltne is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Maeltne's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

(Spoiler!)

Saw Van Helsing, I liked it, but I'm easily pleased...
Pro: If you're a 14-year-old boy, you'll be in heaven.
(Major Spoiler)
Con: Since I'm slightly older, I was let down by the Brides not having nipples - I'm over it, now. (Told Ya!)

Alright, everyone expecting this movie to be the end-all-be-all, stop it! It had a freakin' video game released before the film was even out!!
Ripping the script, acting, etc. Come on! Did you see, Hugh Jackman in Kate and Leopold, we know he's talented. He can sing (London-cast production of Annie Get Your Gun), act (the affore mentioned and I beg anyone to tell me who would've been a better Wolverine), and a better body to boot. But, I wasn't expecting to come out of this movie in my evening-robe and slippers with an Alistair Cooke voice to say, "Oh yes, that Mr. Jackman is the next Sir Laurence Olivier!" smoking a pipe.

Silly Dracula and the Brides?! Did you see Francis Ford Coppola's version of the same scenes in Bram Stoker's Dracula? - same sped up action! I thought this Dracula was excellent. Monsters = 'Super'-natural, 'make believe' - unless you believe in the legends, then forgive my trespasses!
But, come on, just go be entertained!

If you want an art-filled, mind-job, go see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; now that's Indie at it's best! Leave the being 'Ebert and Roeper' up to them!!

Love ya!
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this last night with Jonette. It was a ride but certainly will not go into my collection. I usually expect more out of a film. I really thing this is the first time I have actually wanted "less"

Dracula, wolfman, other vampires, Frankenstines monster, and Mr Hyde... It was just to much I guess.

I did like the big nod to James Bond's Q. Brought a real big smile to my face.

Unfortunately I have no wish to see it again.
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree with sjfreeberg more on this one.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

sjfreeberg wrote:
Leave the being 'Ebert and Roeper' up to them!!

By commenting on the film and giving your pros and cons, you are also participating in the 'Ebert and Roeper' game. Besides, I wasn't expecting an artsy film but something along the lines of the Scorpion King, which had fewer plot holes than Van Helsing. At least Gary Oldman injected some tragedy and old world charm into his Dracula. I gotta say, Coppola's Dracula women were awful too.

**Spoiler**
I thought Van Helsing was silly because the entire plot rests on Dracula and his brides reproducing, with baby vampirelings flying around threatening to kill us all. Frankly, I didn't care if the little bloodsuckers chewed up everything!
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about Van Helsing... the more I dislike it.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a fun, enjoyable movie. Smile

And the Soundtrack rules!
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are being snobs.

It's a good dumb fun monster movie. Get over yourselves and go watch "Lawrence of Arabia".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: