StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Van Helsing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
You guys are being snobs.

It's a good dumb fun monster movie. Get over yourselves and go watch "Lawrence of Arabia".
Holy crap dude Shocked . I just have to take on the mighty Cocles here. so here goes.

I do not have to like everything. I did not like Van Helsing. You described it perfectly a dumb fun monster movie and I look at it as such. As far as getting over myself, hell I did that years and years ago.

I like Lawrence of Arabia, that no more makes me a snob, than, and I am going to assume and could be wrong but will do so only to make a point, if you did not like Lawrence of Arabia you have absolutely no taste in film.

Both statements are dead wrong. Van Helsing isn't my thing. As far as likeing dumb monster movies I think the Mummy is great, The sequel is crap.

Artsy films = I thought Lost in Translation was great but I have no wish to see Cold Mountain again.

I do not go through the typical "if it is popular, it is crap" dance. I still think Titanic is a pretty good movie.

The only thing I want from a movie is to get my 8.50 worth of entertainment. Van Helsing gave me about 4.25 worth IMHO.

Now if you liked Van Helsing, great good for you. I am glad you liked it. It does not make you a bad judge of film or have no taste. I do not think I am a "snob" for not likeing it. YMMV
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi wrote:
Cocles wrote:
You guys are being snobs.

It's a good dumb fun monster movie. Get over yourselves and go watch "Lawrence of Arabia".
Holy crap dude Shocked . I just have to take on the mighty Cocles here. so here goes.

Quote:
I do not have to like everything.

I agree.

Quote:
I did not like Van Helsing. You described it perfectly a dumb fun monster movie and I look at it as such.

Okay

Quote:
As far as getting over myself, hell I did that years and years ago.

Nice to know.

Quote:
I like Lawrence of Arabia, that no more makes me a snob, than, and I am going to assume and could be wrong but will do so only to make a point, if you did not like Lawrence of Arabia you have absolutely no taste in film.

I agree with you, and Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favorite films. What I was referring to were people who can ONLY like a film if it's of Lawrence of Arabia calibur. They consider films like VanHelsing "beneath them." Those are the ones who I consider snobs.

I was of course exagerating to make a point when I brought up Lawrence of Arabia. My ultimate point being that some of the people in this thread seem not like VanHelsing not because it "wasn't their thing" but because "it was beneath them."

Quote:
Both statements are dead wrong.

I'm not sure which two statements you're referring to.

Quote:
Van Helsing isn't my thing.

Probably the best reason to not like a film.

Quote:
As far as likeing dumb monster movies I think the Mummy is great, The sequel is crap.

The sequel had it moments, but that "Scorpion King" was an embarrasment. The CGI simply didn't look finished.

Quote:
Artsy films = I thought Lost in Translation was great but I have no wish to see Cold Mountain again.

Not sure why we're suddenly discussing artsy films.

Quote:
I do not go through the typical "if it is popular, it is crap" dance. I still think Titanic is a pretty good movie.

Good to know.

Quote:
The only thing I want from a movie is to get my 8.50 worth of entertainment. Van Helsing gave me about 4.25 worth IMHO.

Alright.

Quote:
Now if you liked Van Helsing, great good for you. I am glad you liked it. It does not make you a bad judge of film or have no taste. I do not think I am a "snob" for not likeing it. YMMV

Ironically Istagi you wrote this post preparing for a fight, but you're not really going to get one. You took my post personally when you shouldn't have. When I said "You guys are being snobs" I was literally referring to the people in this post who are being, well, snobs. Stupid me figured you could all sort yourselves out. The snobs in this thread are the ones saying they didn't like Van Helsing because it didn't stand up to fims of an entirely different calibur. You and I both agree VanHelsing was dumb fun and it should be judged as such, dumb fun. Not critcized because it can't stand up to films that were slightly more serious. Why? Because it was never intended to stand up to them in the first place. Anyone expecting otherwise is a dingnut.
Oglala Istagi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not sure what to expect actually.
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's being snobbish to expect something of similar caliber from the same writer-director, Stephen Sommers, as the Mummy series.

Even with soundtracks, I end up doing the same thing, comparing the composer's previous work with the score I'm evaluating.

Only dingleberries don't compare things, even subconsciously, if they are familiar with a composer's or writer-director's work.

And I like all sorts of films (including Lawrence of Arabia) and don't trash them just because they are popular or "beneath" Lawrence's level of artistic achievement. For example, I thought the 1st half of Malibu's Most Wanted was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time, and that movie was scalded pretty badly by film critics.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
Only dingleberries don't compare things, even subconsciously, if they are familiar with a composer's or writer-director's work.

There's a difference between comparing and criticizing.

You're criticizing Van Helsing because it's not more like Sommers' other work, which is funny since we also have people on here who criticize artists if their work is too similar with stuff they've done be for. Smile
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like consistent quality from composers or writers across their works that have different styles, original ideas, or at least signs of progression in their ideas. Admittedly, quality is very subjective. In the case of Van Helsing, I was hoping to see more witty banter and dialogue, the stuff I enjoyed from the Mummy series.

To me, repetition of entire passages from previous works does not show musical growth and is fair game for criticism. Wink
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

zirael wrote:
repetition of entire passages from previous works

Not sure what you mean here. You mean dialogue? Could you give an example?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the movies.

Awesome movie. Pure entertainment. You all think too much ;-)
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm.... nice one Cal! They probably do think to much, of course there are some of us here who don't think enough.
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Cal. Sometimes people think far too much about a movie (and of course, like Lego says - not enough too!).

Cocles, I think Zirael meant an entire passage of music from another movie also scored by the same composer. Zirael did not mean dialogue.
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 5:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles, I meant passage of music by the same composer. Although I am realizing the passages might not be in "exactly" in the same key, but they are definitely the same melody.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who can't do it, teach it.
Those who can't teach it, critique it.
Those who can't critique it, complain about it.
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Isn't that the truth!!
Lieutenant

Member#: 482

Patje is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Patje's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Beng, Strike three.
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Those who can't do it, teach it.
Those who can't teach it, critique it.
Those who can't critique it, complain about it.

Actually, I think teaching requires you to have a greater understanding about the structure and broad conceptual issues related to whatever you're teaching in order to convey these principles to students. That's why educators who have been practitioners are sometimes better at teaching.

Cocles, have you ever taught screenwriting or anything else? It's not nice to rag on teachers unless you've been one yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: