StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Spoiler Warnings and Request Netiquette
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:01 am   Post subject: Spoiler Warnings and Request Netiquette Reply with quote

I just posted a spoiler warning in the title and first post of Trickspine's Harry Potter 3 post.

Just a couple thoughts....

SpoilerWarning nettiquette is internet wide... not something you necessarily learn about on SST, which makes it even more sad that so many of you don't know how to do it. Whether you're posting spoilers for books, movies, tv shows, your little sisters play, wherever you are on the internet it's considered proper (and in some cases mandatory) to just give people warning when you give some sort of spoiler.

So far there have been a lot of stupid, "You forgot your spoiler warning" posts that me and the other mods have had to do.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to feel like enabler for a lot of our posters' lazy behavior. "Hey! Why bother posting a spoiler when the mods'll do it for us! Very Happy"

I'm strongly considering just deleting spoiler posts that don't give a spoiler warning.... On top of that, how about just deleting requests made by people who refuse to read the "Before you request read this!" post in the request forum?

Maybe it's a bit tyrannical, but it sure would put those dopes in their place.

What do YOU guys thing? Very Happy
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:52 am   Post subject: Re: Spoiler Warnings and Request Netiquette Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:

On top of that, how about just deleting requests made by people who refuse to read the "Before you request read this!" post in the request forum?

If you really decide to do that, be sure to expect a hell of a lot whiny "WHY DID MY POST GET DELETED?!?!?"-posts.
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

... but instead of deleting the whole post, you could just delete the message and replace it's subject line with the following subject line:

***post deleted because you obviously didn't read the "request netiquette" thread on top of this page***
Caliburn

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

On another phpbb forum some dudes implemented a "spoiler"-box. You could only read what was in the box if you selected the text in the box with the mouse. I'll look into it. Because it seems we need it here badly.
USA Maeltne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 6602

Maeltne is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Maeltne's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrannical, yes - but warranted.

Newbies must pass Cocles' 'How to Not Be a Dingus' Test before being able to participate in certain areas and exhibit proficiency in the different nettiquettes

or

Disclaimers warning at the main forums page that if you don't follow the appropriate nettiquettes the post will be deleted in it's entirety

I like this subject line:
*** post deleted for being a dingus ***
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:48 am   Post subject: Re: Spoiler Warnings and Request Netiquette Reply with quote

shock wrote:

If you really decide to do that, be sure to expect a hell of a lot whiny "WHY DID MY POST GET DELETED?!?!?"-posts.

I would suggest deleting those posts too, let's face it all the information you need to know about posting is there in the FAQs. And surely FAQs are an internet given every bit as much as spoiler warnings, so there really is no excuse not to read one before asking questions.

Cal's idea is good, but really you shouldn't have to add anything to sst if some users just used a bit of common sense.

Full support cocles.
Pixie
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
On another phpbb forum some dudes implemented a "spoiler"-box. You could only read what was in the box if you selected the text in the box with the mouse. I'll look into it. Because it seems we need it here badly.

In theory this sounds like a good idea, but the posted would have to make the connection that it is a spoiler and that they need to block the text unless the reader checks it.

If they can't put a simple phrase that says "Spoiler Warning" in the title, do you really think they would use a "spoiler box?"

Time has told me I can't give most posters the benefit of the doubt.

And it sucks that several readers, plus whatever admin/mod might end up editing something have to read the spoiler before the rest of us are protected.

I think the whole point is maybe by brining it up somewhere other than the Sticky's that people obvious read and forget, or just plain don't read. Perhaps they will actually read this thread, and refresh their memory that it's not very nice to go around telling people plot elements.

Personally, I don't understand why people don't get that anyway. They must be the same dunderheads who talk during the movie in the theatre.

Maybe we need a fail safe that when you click "submit", before it actually posts, the computer comes up with some questions:
1. Did you put any spoilers in your post?
2. Are you sure?
3. Are you double plus sure? Because if you did, you know you will make a fool of yourself, and get many people in the community making posts about how you are a Donald Dingus.
4. Are you wearing a sheep costume?
5. Are you sure? Wink

Actually, what I think we should do is when someone posts spoilers about something without forewarning others, I think we should dedicate a thread to them. We can rip on them for posting spoilers. Put up some photos of them (not that we might Photoshop them or anything Wink). Perhaps divulge juicy information (never made up rumors Wink) about them. We could even be nice and put a 24 hour rule on it. For 24 hours, you can post whatever you want in that thread, but after that it gets locked. Mwahahaha Very Happy

-Pix
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixie, that's truly evil you know.
Very Happy
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:

If there was an additional font colour we could post with, that matched the background of all the posts or a colour that also has a background-colour set for the font (the background of course being of the same colour as the font), then this would work like a charm... Just call the font colour "Spoiler" or something. Then it would be something like this.

Highlight to read
Look at me... suddenly you can see me... and I'm a spoiler... yada-yada-yada

Shouldn't be to hard to implement either.
The real trick would be to teach every newbie that comes along how to use it. Smile

EDIT:

Hmm... I thought I'd scrolled to the bottom, but when I look at my post I suddenly see Pixie has already taken this issue into account a bit up. Oh well... Have to read a bit more in the manual on how these weird blocks at the right of my screen works then Razz
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pixie is right about this one... no matter what technique we use to identify spoiler material, it's going to be equally tough to get people to use it.

Maybe we really should have a special thread for "naming and shaming." At the very least, it would be fun to read.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why we slap them and call them a DINGUS for not reading how to post correctly.
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love PIXIES Idea... BUT I was hoping to add something as well...

Now I am not sure the programing requirments or if its even possible... But it would be so frickin sweet if under or above the avatar is said DINGUS, OR NEWBIE... Smile

We could maybe have a whole separate rank called the dunce rank, or dingus, whatever... The only way to have this rank is to not post a lot, but to screw up so badly that your posted rank is stripped away temporarly, and you are harshly thrown into the "SpEcIaL" rank by the admins. Smile

Thus they will be labeled the fool that they are. Smile at least for a little while.
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that really is a sweet idea, Legolas! Mr. Green
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Full support, Cocles! Also, there have been a few ideas thrown around here that are pretty good. Maybe the post should be deleted and replaced with the appropriate lines (ideas by Shock and Maeltne) together with the "SpEcIaL" rank idea by Legolas.

Tyrannical? Yes, but it seems that's what we need here at SST!!!
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Legolas wrote:
We could maybe have a whole separate rank called the dunce rank, or dingus, whatever... The only way to have this rank is to not post a lot, but to screw up so badly that your posted rank is stripped away temporarly, and you are harshly thrown into the "SpEcIaL" rank by the admins. Smile

Thus they will be labeled the fool that they are. Smile at least for a little while.

lol... now that's cruel, Lego... the cyber equivalent of the dunce cap. You'd probably just scare all the newbies away. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: