StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Distributed Computing project and SST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Poland Albi VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 5692

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been participating in the SETI@home DC project since it started (5.5 years ago). I know some sites that a team as a community effort but it requires enough people to be interested otherwise it's not worth the trouble. Oh, I won't change my team to SST Rolling Eyes Razz
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Albi wrote:
Oh, I won't change my team to SST Rolling Eyes Razz

Well, uh, thanks for nothing then. Confused

jeff
sdg
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
Lieutenant Commander

Albi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Albi's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

j2brown wrote:
Albi wrote:
Oh, I won't change my team to SST Rolling Eyes Razz

Well, uh, thanks for nothing then. Confused

jeff
sdg

You're welcome Very Happy It's just that this team already exists for more than 5 years as well, can't abandom them now (I'm the founder of the team after all Razz)
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to bump this thread, and perhaps get some new folks involved on one of the teams.

jeff
sdg
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also started a StreamingSoundtracks.com group on the new BOINC powered SETI@Home.

SST SETI@Home BOINC
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bump for the thread.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd give this another bump.

jeff
sdg
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask a silly question? What is the idea behind this? I guess, being linked to SETI, that it is somehow using computer power to analyse signals from space? Or something along those lines. Does SST get something out of it? Or is it just a community thing to do?
Norway Muriel VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 333

Muriel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Muriel's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a community thing to do.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

high beings listen to SST Wink
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Folding@Home, it's just something to do as a community that can also help fight many diseases. See their homepage for more.

jeff
sdg
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd bump this thread again for all the new arrivals.

jeff
sdg
Poland Albi VIP (subscribed member)
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this funny news item this morning. Thought I would post it here to convince more people to start crunching Wink

Yahoo! News wrote:
Missing laptop found in ET hunt

SAN FRANCISCO - The Space Sciences Laboratory at the University of California, Berkeley, has signed up more than 1 million volunteers worldwide in a search for extraterrestrial intelligence. They've found no aliens yet, but they have at least turned up one missing laptop.

The Berkeley effort, better known as SETI(at)home, uses volunteers' computers when they go into screen-saver mode to crunch data from the Arecibo radio observatory in Puerto Rico. The computers are trying to spot signals in the radio noise from space.

One volunteer, James Melin, a software programmer for a county government agency in Minnesota, runs SETI(at)home on his seven home computers, which periodically check in with University of California servers. Whenever that happens, the servers record the remote computer's Internet Protocol address and file it in a database that people running the SETI software can view.

One of the computers on which Melin installed SETI(at)home is his wife's laptop, which was stolen from the couple's Minneapolis home Jan. 1.

Annoyed — and alarmed that someone could delete the screenplays and novels that his wife, Melinda Kimberly, was writing — Melin monitored the SETI(at)home database to see if the stolen laptop would "talk" to the Berkeley servers. Indeed, the laptop checked in three times within a week, and Melin sent the IP addresses to the Minneapolis Police Department.

After a subpoena to a local Internet provider, police determined the real-world address where the stolen laptop was logging on. Within days, officers seized the computer and returned it. No one had been arrested as of Wednesday and the case remains under investigation, said Lt. Amelia Huffman of the Minneapolis Police Department.

Kimberly's writings were safe, and the thieves didn't appear to have broken into her e-mail or other personal folders. But the returned computer contained 20 tracks of rap music with unintelligible lyrics, possibly from the person who stole the computer or bought it on the underground.

"It's really, really horrid rap," Melin said. "It makes Ludacris look like Pavarotti."

Kimberly was more enamored with Melin's detective work.

"I always knew that a geek would make a great husband," she said. "He always backed up all my data, but this topped it all. It became like `Mission: Impossible' for him, looking for hard evidence for the cops to use. ... He's a genius — my hero."
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

bump-da-bump
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: