StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

On the Download

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic 
EvilKitty
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 38

EvilKitty is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website EvilKitty's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:11 am   Post subject: On the Download Reply with quote

Article from ew.com
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,354931~10~0~britneymadonnapdiddy,00.html

On the Download

Britney, Madonna, P. Diddy make anti-piracy ads. They join dozens of other stars in an industry campaign to discourage file-swapping by Gary Susman

''Would you go into a CD store and steal a CD?'' Britney Spears asks, making an analogy to unauthorized Internet downloading of music files. ''It's the same thing, people going into the computers and loggin' on and stealing our music.'' Spears, Madonna, and dozens of other artists are making such statements in a new industry-sponsored ad campaign aimed at discouraging online music piracy.

The multimillion-dollar campaign will include TV spots featuring Spears, Nelly, Missy Elliott and others speaking out against illicit file-swapping. The campaign also includes print ads headlined, ''Who Really Cares About Illegal Downloading?'' Answer: a list of 89 artists, including Spears, Madonna, P. Diddy, Eminem, the Dixie Chicks, Shakira, Nelly, Elliott, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Sting, Nas, Luciano Pavarotti, Diana Krall, and Sheryl Crow. The full-page ads began appearing Thursday in the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, the Congressional newspaper Roll Call, and other papers.

It's not clear how effective a campaign will be that advertises in papers not known for their readership among young music listeners, or that includes statement by millionaires like Sean ''P. Diddy'' Combs, saying ''Put yourself in our shoes!'' Nonetheless, the industry considers piracy a serious threat, blaming it for the 5 percent drop in CD sales in 2001 and the 7 percent drop in the first half of 2002.

Thursday also marks the start of Congressional hearings on Internet piracy. The House is expected to explore efforts by the major labels to provide legal, paid downloads, efforts which have been criticized not only for failing to provide a cheap and easy-to-use alternative to piracy, but also for possible antitrust violations that make it difficult for independent labels to compete online.

------------
I like how the music industry keeps brining up the fact that sales have dropped 5-7%. They want to blame everything on intneret radio/downloading, and it's almost like they choose to ignore the fact that people are probably not buying new music because a lot of it sux (minus the soundtracks of course. ). Oh well...
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:36 am   Post subject: On the Download Reply with quote

[sarcasm]Of course the drop in sales has nothing to do with the economy, right? Well, it has to be piracy then. Because no matter how many companies cut jobs and how 9-11 affects us, we're all going to go out and buy more CDs than last year.[/sarcasm] I know their greedy asses wouldn't even be satisfied with 2% growth. But to mention piracy in the same breath as Internet Radio is beyond ludicrous. The major reason why sales are down is becuase we're being fed the "Same Old Shit". The RIAA caused they're own problems, now they're pointing the finger. Here's my theory, it's quite the snowball affect:

1. Let's impose royalty fees! Yeahhhh! Now ALL broadcasters (AM/FM/TV) can only afford to play the cheap and free songs (usually called "singles"). As a result, radio and TV are finacially forced to limit their playlists. In a way I don't blame broadcasters. They are a business and they have to stay alive, people with sub-6-figure salaries jobs are at stake. How much money do all the above artists make? Hmmm, not enough I suppose.

2. Now people are sick and tired of hearing the same 40 songs, 3 times a day with all the commercials (which is usually more entertaining than the music) that are neccessary to pay royalties. Where can I go to listen to fresh new music? Ahhh, the internet! P2P and Internet Radio is where. Now people are hearing new stuff and buying records from independent labels or wherever the RIAA isn't making enough money. Well, that's just not acceptable. Who is more evil, RIAA or Lables?

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
coolman109
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 6025

coolman109 is offline View user's profile Send private message coolman109's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeric, you have said it all.
Hobbes:Those are cannons.
Calvin:And they perform this in crowded concert halls?? Gee, I thought classical music was borin
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, I can't believe you resurrected this topic. :LOL:

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL too.

Surely Coolman wins the award for resurrecting the oldest post that you challenged Robin Hood to do in this thread:

http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/postx955-0-45.html
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess someone has far too much time on their hands!!! Laughing
Cadet 2

Member#: 5582

rafusmx is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail rafusmx's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm... old topic or not, I'm not that old here. And I believe in the "Love to the Art", mp3 download should not scare a real artist... If the album is good it will be sold.

Just watch who are the ones crying about piracy: Britney, Madonna, P. Diddy...
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rafusmx wrote:
mmm... old topic or not, I'm not that old here. And I believe in the "Love to the Art", mp3 download should not scare a real artist... If the album is good it will be sold.

Just watch who are the ones crying about piracy: Britney, Madonna, P. Diddy...

That's a cop out, and your list convenient.

Stealing intellectual property is still stealing.

I'm not so much mad at stealing going on, as much as I'm mad at the people who don't even realize that what they're doing is a crime.

"WHAT!? Stealing music off the internet it stealing? Well if that's the case then why is it legal to download KaZaa?"

Same reason why it's legal buy a gun, but not legal to go out and randomly shoot people with it.

Doofus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: