StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Ultimate Home Video Entertainment Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic 

Which is better?
Widescreen
94%
 94%  [ 17 ]
Fullscreen
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

is offline View user's profile Send private message 's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:27 am   Post subject: The Ultimate Home Video Entertainment Question Reply with quote

Widescreen vs. Fullscreen. Which is better? Please vote in the poll and tell us why in a post.

As for me? Widescreen all the way. You can see up to a 100% increase in picture in some widescreen formats. Is there any more that really needs to be said?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's silly to say Widescreen or Fullscreen all the time.

Fact of matter is it depends on the film.

Majority of the time, sure, you're much much better off going with widescreen.

But take a film like "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone".

Everyone ran out and bought the widescreen format, thinking they were really slick.

Problem is the director shot the screen with full screen in mind.

Note that this is not "Letterboxing" where they just slap black bars on the top and bottom.

You'll indeed see info on the sides that you won't see in the fullscreen of Harry Potter.

But in this case when you watch the fullscreen version you'll see info on the top and bottom you won't see in the widescreen version.

In a side by side comparison, you'll notice that the director has for the most part put little to look at on the sides in the widescreen, but plenty to look at in the top and bottoms of the fullscreen.

So my answer remains, Widescreen? Fullscreen? It depends on the film.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was shot in Super 35. If this is the case, then yes it is true, you DO see more at the top and the bottom in fullscreen. However, you see more at the top and bottom of the screen in the fullscreen version so you can also see more at the sides in the fullscreen version. It is kind of hard to explain. For more information go here http://www.dvdeastereggs.com/viewtopic.php?t=1008&highlight=super+35 or here http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml#Super35. Also, if you happen to own Terminator 2 the Ultimate Edition DVD, it has supplement reading material that pretty much explains it. It also contains an example clip from the special edition of the film that shows you what you can see in the widescreen and fullscreen versions.[url][/url]
USA Nenya18
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 6272

Nenya18 is offline View user's profile Send private message View Nenya18's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even believe people that choose fullscreen over widescreen. I mean, you either want to see some of the movie, or all of the movie. Even when I watch movies on my small computer monitor I prefer widescreen. It's so much more fulfilling to know that I'm seeing the whole movie.
http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml
Widescreen rules! Smile

As far as Harry Potter goes, the fullscreen is the one that is played on television all of the time, so I can see the fullscreen version then. (I own the widescreen dvd).
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7365

Jazzman is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer widescreen over fullscreen. I wasn't aware of the problems with the Super 35 format Cocles pointed out, though. Still, the majority of the time widescreen is going to give you more (plus now that I've finally got a widescreen TV, it just looks better that way).

What bugs me the most are stores that only carry one of the two formats (and it seems more often than not it's the fullscreen version). Someone bought me the Back to the Future box set for my birthday and I had to several stores before someone took pity on me and let me exchange the fullscreen for the widescreen (despite the fact that they didn't sell the fullscreen version).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when someone in my family buys me a DVD for Christmas, my birthday, etc., but they get it in fullscreen instead of widescreen. This actually happens to me a lot. Right now I am in the process of selling all of these and rebuying them in widescreen.

To tell you the truth, I'd rather pay more for the widescreen format of a film than the fullscreen (unless the DVD is ridiculously priced), and I have done that before.
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are really selling fullscreen DVDs over there? good god. *if* we have fullscreen it is because
- the movie is fullscreen
- the DVD is printed on both sides: one full other wide.

Man I love Europe.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cal, do you have "George of the Jungle" in widescreen over there?
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

nope fullscreen according to my source (play.com)
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ding ding ding! And there you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: