StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

The Horse Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only horses I've ridden are the ones you plug in and put two quarters into. Do they even still have those anymore? Ya know the ones in front of supermarkets and such? ahh...memories......

Anywho, I guess I'm in the same boat as you Legolas, riding horses sounds like alot of fun. Hopefully someday if I have the time, money and patience I'll get a chance.
CaptainAdam
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7155

CaptainAdam is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website CaptainAdam's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

As i have said, learning is not at all that expensive.Here in Budapest, on a local island (we have a river, the Danube, here ya know Smile ), 45 minutes costs about $ 10, a bit less. Most places cost less, but this one is almost in the middle of the city. Horseriding is the one thing my father pays for me. Three times a week that is $30 a week. But starters have 25 minute sessions not 45, and that costs abou $ 6-7.
These are all local prices.
You may find a place where its a lot cheaper, or if you help out around the horses, even free.
So again i encourage everyone who likes the idea, to try it. If you don't like it you just quit it, lost a couple dollars...
If you like it after trying it, then you learn how to ride decently, and later if you have the money and time, can buy a horse.
A lot of places, farms, stables, will take care of your horse, and give it a box, for a certain amount of money per month usually.
A lot of possibilites...you can just rent the box and take care of the horse yourself.
The more time you spend with your horse the better ofcourse, and they need to be ridden regularly.

Btw you can choose from a number of riding styles, the english, the western, and a couple of others (i dont remember those).
Oh and most "horse folks" are kind and funny people Smile.

Adam
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm..... American prices VS. HUNGARY Prices... I would think the cost of living is a bit higher here in the states Wink
CaptainAdam
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

CaptainAdam is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website CaptainAdam's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's not, it's cheaper to live there Smile, while the average salary there is waaaay higher.

Especially gasoline prices show a great difference. There a gallon costs say $ 3 , here a liter costs about $ 1.18, a gallon is about 6 liters, that means that a gallon of gasoline here costs about $ 7 . Scary huh?
Correction:(thanks to Hurr78)
A gallon is 3.78 liters not 6, so that makes a gallon here cost $4.46. Still not cheap at all...

So did you look around how much horseriding (learning lessons) cost there? I'm kinda interested now Wink.

Adam

Last edited by CaptainAdam on Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows that gas is cheap in the US compared to Europe. How does the other stuff compare?
CaptainAdam
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ,a number of things is cheaper in western Europe and in the US than here. Electronic stuff (digital cameras, computer stuff, things like that), is cheaper for example. Cars are also cheaper.
I hear internet is also cheaper there. We pay about $ 55 / month for 384/64 kbit (down/up) ADSL.

Oh and real-estate is quite expensive here, usually
$ 1000-1200/square meter here at Budapest (but in some areas, ofcourse these prices are a lot higher (there is an area here, that resembles Beverly Hills), and at some places lower, but not that much lower (like the famous 8th district, which is not famous for it's safety if you know what i mean) ).
The minimum wage is about $ 260.
What are the prices there?

Though i don't want to get off topic too far. So if someone could look up riding lesson prices tehre in the US , it could be posted here, so other can have a perspective. Thanks!
I'll look around on US sites aswell.

All of this goes for Hungary, not for the whole EU.

Adam
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a horse for 22yrs. been bucked off,stepped on, thrown off, kicked, and fell off while the horse was stopped. i miss thoose days:)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet, you do Very Happy.
The experience largely depends on the horse you sit on. There are some really mean ones, who like to take on newbies. But usually, later they show more respect and become friendly, if ya can handle 'em Smile.
Well isn't that familiar? WinkVery Happy

Adam
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2207

maddy is offline View user's profile Send private message View maddy's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to ride at the Spanish Riding School in Madrid Spain. I used to be able to ride every other weekend or so when we came back to the US, but a lot of the stables where I rented the horses have closed down so I don't get to do it much anymore.

But I wants to!! Sad

http://tinyurl.com/ltrodr
http://www.mostphotos.com/maddys713/portfolio
http://www.cutcaster.com/studio/pub/784218913

CaptainAdam
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

How about finding, and sharing possible riding locations, prices here? It seems some of us would like to try riding, or continue riding. But i don't live in the US so i'm left with the net here.
So if someone has info about riding palces, and pricing , please share, so those who live in the US and want to ride have a better chanse. Thanks!
All i found to date on the net, are just some very expensive places, as those have a website usually.
I'll try to find more though.

Edited:
Here is what i can come up with right now:
http://www.fraservalleyguide.com/Od_Horse-Back.html

Try Yahoo, yellowpages.

To correct a little:
Here, share personal impressions related with horseriding places. That might proove more useful.

Adam
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainAdam wrote:

Especially gasoline prices show a great difference. There a gallon costs say $ 3 , here a liter costs about $ 1.18, a gallon is about 6 liters, that means that a gallon of gasoline here costs about $ 7 . Scary huh?

That's not correct. A gallon is equivalent to 3.785 liters. So if a liter costs $1.18 there, a gallon costs $4.47

Not quite as bad as you thought...
CaptainAdam
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ,many thanks for the correction (i'm correcting that post), still it is quite pricey though. And rising due to the international situation of the oil industry.

Adam
Commander

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm thats funny.... oil production from OPEC is up thus meeting more of the demand. Oil prices are droping here....
CaptainAdam
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny indeed, but still, the international oil prices have risen again, after a drop. You may be referring to that temporary drop.
The OPEC is already nearing its limits. If things are not solved in Iraq soon, problems might occur.
But we dont have too much oil left anyway, iraq or no iraq...i give it a max of 15 years (that is quite optimistic) til' the prices reach such levels where gasoline is insanely expensive. Consumption is rising worldwide.
Yup , we are at the very end of the oil-gasoline age.

But i suggest we get back to the original topic.

Adam
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes *slaps forehead* ropes....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: