StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Suspicious Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Caray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 243

Caray is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Caray's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:57 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

And this Monday four Terminator, 2 pink panther. Just for starter.
[Roll Eyes]
Cadet 1

Member#: 305

bgalbs is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail bgalbs's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:42 pm   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

Whoops!

I confess, I've been doing a lot of the multiple requesting over the past few days. I didn't realize anyone would care much about it, but after reading through this forum, it seems that folks do care quite a bit. After thinking it through, I can certainly understand why.

Please accept my apologies. I'm responsible for the Conan tracks over the weekend, and certainly some other sequences such as some Charlie Brown songs and so forth.

I certainly will refrain from such behavior in the future. I would be happy to disclose my technique to "the authorities", as it were, to help prevent abuse in the future.
bgalbs
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 305

bgalbs is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail bgalbs's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:54 pm   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

Some ideas on how to defeat multiple requests:

1. Rotating your own IP address is of course very possible. For modems, this is big pain, but for DSL/Cable, it's as simple as telling your OS to expire your DHCP lease and obtaining a new one. I don't think this type of manipulation can be blocked without punishing the innocent. This is not the technique I used.

2. Some folks may enlist other servers to make the requests for them. This IS the technique I used. This could be made much more difficult if the referrer HTTP header is checked when a request is made. It's easy to get a server to request a URL, but much harder to get it to request two URLs in a sequence.

3. Why don't we restrict requests to logins, and then allow folks to make multiple requests for, say, US$0.10 a pop? That way, if you really want to hear more than one song an hour or every four hours, you can, but the money provides an incentive not to. You can then bill folks on a monthly basis.

Hope this helps.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:01 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

That's big of you step forward. Thanks for the suggestions and agreeing to voluntarily stop abusing the system. Jeric will be enacting something pretty soon. What it is has yet to be seen.
Musicsound
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 304

Musicsound is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Musicsound's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:11 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

Is there actually a big problem if there are several songs from one soundtrack in the queue? These songs are different from one another.

But if you don't want several songs from one soundtrack to be on the queue you can insert a limit of just one soundtrack at a time (like the songlimitation)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:41 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

quote:
I've been doing a lot of the multiple requesting over the past few days. I didn't realize anyone would care much about it
And that is why it must be made clear to new users what our definition of 'request abuse' is. Nowhere on this site there is a definition about this abuse, except for the chat and forum. But a new visitor doesn't see that.

Jeric, I strongly recommend you put your thoughts about it on the main page of this site.
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:44 pm   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Musicsound:
Is there actually a big problem if there are several songs from one soundtrack in the queue? These songs are different from one another.

But if you don't want several songs from one soundtrack to be on the queue you can insert a limit of just one soundtrack at a time (like the songlimitation)

Yes. there's a problem, with hundreds of different soundtracks in this website, I can't imagine why people want to listen songs from the same ST. Maybe the requester would love it but I'm afraid most of the people would be ticked.

bgalbs, thanks for stepping forward, at least you've proven to not be the kind of party pooper that have hung around lately so often.
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:56 pm   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

The problem is not requests made from the same soundtrack, the problem is simply people abusing the request system. It might seem that people have a problem with multiple songs playing but that is because to the normal user this is their only way of detecting that request system has been exploited.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:27 pm   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

LOOK UP! Higher... little higher... now a little to the left... not that far. THERE!!!

SEE IT!? Right there? Where it says "Requests"?

See what it says right next to it? That's right!

Good boy, now roll over and play dead.

And yes it says "Requests: Down" for all of us.

If you're IP was actually banned a dutch man would have jumped out of your monitor and kicked you around with his little wooden shoes.
Scorehawk
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 277

Scorehawk is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Scorehawk's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:52 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

I don't know if my IP has been blocked or if the requests are actually down for everyone, but I can't request since yesterday (and no, I am not one of those who cheated and requested more songs than they were supposed to)
esparvel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 116

esparvel is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website esparvel's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:23 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

Hmm Cocles being as nice as usual.

I was just wondering after reading these posts if when your IP is banned you can't just request. I always thought that if your IP was banned you weren't able to request nor to listen. As far as I can remember banning started because of Streamripping not for abusing the system, even though most of the times those who rip the stream use to be the same people who abuse the system.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:43 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

you can be banned from request system or the stream, AFAIK of course [Smile]
markinboone
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 316

markinboone is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail markinboone's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:55 pm   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

The suspicious requests seem to continue...

Here's an idea: What about limiting, not the number of requests, but the total play time of requests? Say 15 min max, unless a single request is longer than 15... That way when someone wants to hear, say 3 tracks from the Wizard of Oz (like somebody just did) they can have their 5-15 minutes of fun, but no one would be able to request multiple suites or other long-plays.

Here's another idea: What about an ETA column in the queue that adds together the times for the preceding tracks to give an idea of when a track should be up?
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:19 pm   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

The problem is that people would then just use multiple IP's to have multiple 15 minute time limits.... so with 4 ip's you could now hold the queue hostage for an hour.
USA jk2silly VIP (subscribed member)
Commander
Commander

Member#: 30

jk2silly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View jk2silly's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:05 am   Post subject: Suspicious Requests Reply with quote

The only real solution that I see in this whole mess is to make users who want to request have to log in and that log in has to have made a monthly subscription payment. There the "S" word was said. I am not happy about it but it is the only way to fight the abuse of the request system. If someone wants to register and pay for multiple request logins then more power to them but they will be few and far between. This system is not foolproof as any system can be hacked, cracked, or just plain spoofed but it is the most effective for this site. [Roll Eyes]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: