StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Any other Natives here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
GrooveMerchant
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, Nice to meet you Istagi.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Native American as well. Very little, about 1/16th I think, a little from each side. But I have blonde hair and green eyes (the rest is german and irish) But I do have the dark skin. Get a tan walking to the mailbox.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 29

SlowMo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail SlowMo's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh.. You asked who was native, right? Well, I'm native as well.. Native European. We might not be the cradle of civilisation (that's Mesopotamia I believe), but we still colonised the entire world.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or is the term "Native American" a bunch of bunk? I've been keeping quiet so far, but now that others are saying it in this thread, I've gotta speak up.

"Native American" is one of those terms that was made up when the US was going through its utra political-correctness fad just a few years ago.

If you don't want to be called "American Indians" that's fine, but "Native American" is just silly since you're no more native than any other American. We all had ancestors who immigrated here at one point.

How about American Aboringinee? It's not a lie, and it still gives you credit for being the earliest known population in this region.

Yeehaw.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree cocles, i usually just say i'm part American Indian. I think you are a native of where you are born.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew if anyone was gonna go off on Native American it would be Cocles. You just seem to have the personality to do so.

Native American is a general term, personaly I preffer Lakota.

I know this will probably be ignored however, should we not be allowed to name ourselves? Doubt you would understand though.
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

YES you can name yourself. I named myself mr perfect and or mr right. But people call me what ever they want. (damn that freedom of speech!) I get called dumb ass, smart ass, and sweet ass Confused

I'll call you american you can call yourself lakota.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it how you want. But if we all did that it would be so confusing. African American, German American, Irish American, etc

At some point pretty much every group was discrimanated against by the english.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi wrote:
I knew if anyone was gonna go off on Native American it would be Cocles. You just seem to have the personality to do so.

I read what Cocles had to say, and I don't think he was "going off" on Native Americans at all. I think he was pointing out a fact.

Definitions:

Native

American

I guess in that sense of the term, I am a Native American as well, though my heritage does not include Indian blood.

Others even agreed with his statement:

thuringwethil wrote:
I agree cocles, i usually just say i'm part American Indian. I think you are a native of where you are born.

Istagi wrote:
I know this will probably be ignored however, should we not be allowed to name ourselves? Doubt you would understand though.

I am all for naming myself, and you feel free to do so too. Consider yourself lucky, I doubt I could make a post titled "Any other Whites here?" and expect people to freely accept it.

I don't think anyone was saying you can't name yourself. I think it was just being pointed out as a matter of interest [to some] that Native American literally translates to soemthing other than what was intended.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's only the second time i have ever seen pixie here.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm around, just really busy lately.
And I only speak when I have something important to say Wink Wink
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So i've noticed. The only other time i've seen you was last friday w/ cocles in chat. (Doomsday for some people)
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6652

Istagi is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Istagi's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what?

I was just asking if there are other people here with the same heritage. That is all, sorry to start a fricken race riot.

I am not forcing anyone to use any name... hell if you have a problem with Native American than hell by all means don't use it.

The term is convienent because everyone knows what it means, Unlike "Indian" which has at least 2 meanings.

Why complain to me about it? Is it my damn fault? Can I do anything about it.

sheesh people all this crying around makes you look like jerks.

Sorry I asked, just looking for a damn friend you know. Guess I am not going to find any around here now am I.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi wrote:
should we not be allowed to name ourselves?

Sure you can name yourselves. But if your name is a lie, I'm going to call you on it.

Boohoo. Crying or Very sad

Istagi, don't be so dang sensitive, you're not the first person in the world, or the only person in this thread to say "Native American". And yeah you can do something about it. Since you obviously knew one of us might get annoyed you could have said something else besides "Native American". Anyways, point made. Go back to making friends.

And Pixie, love your point that if we made a thread called "Any other Whites here?", we'd start getting complaints.

Last edited by Cocles on Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Istagi, i don't have a problem with it, just my opinion. But again, i live in the deep south where white seems to be a bad word. But i also understand the other side of it. My great grandfather couldn't be buried in a white cemetary if he wanted to be next to his wife, and american indian.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: