StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Great trumpets in soundtracks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7365

Jazzman is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:40 am   Post subject: Great trumpets in soundtracks Reply with quote

We started this one in the chat, then they suggested we move it here (which should save thettumom from having to write it all down).

What are some of the great trumpet moments in soundtracks (either solos or ensemble work)? The ones I remember from the chat were:
    "Welcome to Cuba" from Die Another Day (this is what started the whole discussion)
    "Whiteout" from Die Another Day
    "Pipeline" from The World Is Not Enough (screamer right at the end)
    "Caviar Factory" from The World Is Not Enough
    Track 10 from For Your Eyes Only (flugelhorn solo)
    Opening track from Il Papa Buono
    "Prologue" from Born on the Fourth of July
    Theme from Fistful of Dollars
A lot of the great trumpet work you hear in film scores is by Derek Watkins. You will hear Derek on every one of the James Bond films as well as the sountracks to Mission Impossible, The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Lost In Space, Mona Lisa Smiles, Mindhunters, Basic Instinct, Indiana Jones, Gladiator, Johnny English, Superman 1 & 2, Chicago (where his trumpet solo opens the movie), Star Wars, and Batman. (I guess that means it's Derek Watkins flubbing the note about 40 seconds into Batman to the Rescue.)

Last edited by Jazzman on Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Postman
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 234

Postman is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Postman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurassic Park - Welcome to Jurassic Park: gives me the shivers when watching the movie.
RotK - The White Tree, also in combination with the remembrance to the movie
Caliburn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for Bugler's Dream on Summon the Heroes. And I love it when the trumpets take over the horns on the 1st track of Sinbad. Sweet.
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Jazzman is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The title track to Summon the Heroes has a great trumpet solo in it, and I'll always love the trumpets at the beginning of "The Olympic Spirit" from the same CD (the theme for the 1988 Olympics).
USA thettumom
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 5528

thettumom is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website thettumom's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys rock! Thanks Jazzman for getting these going... now I know where to go when I am having a hard time deciding what to request!

the ttu mom
Quotable quote: "I truly believe that if you are going to do something that it should be done wholeheartedly with passion. I don't care if it is football or teaching....it deserves 100%, and bringing your emotion into it only makes you real--and most
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

L.A. Confidential & Chinatown by the great Jerry Goldsmith.
USA thettumom
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

thettumom is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website thettumom's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard The Mexican's, "The Mexican" (End Credits Medley) has great trumpet in the beginning. I would just have to bet that there are more on that st. I may be requesting to find out!
Smile

thettumom
Quotable quote: "I truly believe that if you are going to do something that it should be done wholeheartedly with passion. I don't care if it is football or teaching....it deserves 100%, and bringing your emotion into it only makes you real--and most
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to "Main Title (the Godfather Waltz)" from The Godfather. Starts out with a great (though very lonely) trumpet solo.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it too Jazzman, was thinking the same thing...actually writing it on my yellow sticky note...
I've been writing down things that have good trumpet waiting to update my thoughts. However, these aren't solo sorts of pieces, just have some enjoyable trumpet in them...
the beginning of The Mexican - "End Credits Medley"
Good, Bad & the Ugly- "Ecstasy of Gold"
Cliffhanger- "End Credits"
Enemey at the Gates - "The River"
Quantum Leap - "Suite from Lee Harvey Oswald"

With all of those listed, I will say, I would hear something in the music that made me write down the title, etc.; then they might not have as much trumpet in them as I hoped.... The longer and closer I listen, the more I realize there are lots of pieces that have a good trumpet spots in them. ...I guess you would call this my disclaimer.

But hey, it gets the sticky note off my desk! Smile
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't leave out the great trumpet work in Rocky.
Also, "Beyond the Sea" from Finding Nemo has some great big band jazz in it (plenty of trumpets and trombones).
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard "Theme from Taxi Driver". It's a good laid back jazz piece with a good trumpet solo in the middle (with harmon mute).
Lieutenant

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Main Title from Back to the Future (1 I believe) has some good trumpets on top of everything for most of the end of the piece. If you listen close, you can hear the first trumpet go out of tune in the middle of one of the longer notes. oops!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard The Little Princess-The Good-Bye; has a nice trumpet spot in it as well
USA thettumom
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Bebop V. 2
"Gateway"

Nice trumpet in it!!!
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been keeping track separately of good trumpet stuff in soundtracks here. Anyway, here's a bunch of what I've found so far:
    "The World's Smartest Man" from Quiz Show has a great jazz improvisation trumpet solo in it (with big band backup). Can't get much better. Many of the other tracks from this soundtrack also have trumpet solos (pay attention to "Everything Has Its Price" with a slower-moving solo). With trumpet players like Conte Candoli, Chuck Findlay, Rick Baptiste, and Mark Isham himself, you'd expect to see a lot of trumpet work.

"Prologue" from JFK has a great extended trumpet solo in it.
    "It Don't Mean a Thing" from Swing Kids has some great muted trumpet solos (bucket/hat and harmon with wa-wa stem).
    "Playing Love" from Legend of 1900 has an extended trumpet solo in it (though the orchestra is a bit loud underneath).
    "Hoe-Down from Rodeo" (on the "Stars & Stripes" CD) has a great trumpet solo in it (though very short).
    "Bernardo" from The Magnificent Seven has a good short trumpet solo in it.
    "Last Ride" from The Rainmaker has an excellent trumpet solo in it (with cup mute).
    "Bye Bye Mucho" from Twilight has a real smooth trumpet solo in it.
    The title track from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly has some good double-tongue trumpet licks in it.
    "Brother (Remix Version)" from Brother has a great extended jazz trumpet solo in it.
    "Theme From Lonesome Dove" from Lonesome Dove has a good trumpet solo, which extends into a duet with French horn, then brass section. Very nice.
    "Main Title" from Quigley Down Under has a trumpet solo for a bit (with a banjo accompaniment--interesting).
    "Main Title" from Alien also has a small trumpet solo at the beginning. (Not great, but in the interest of completeness I mention it.)
    "Overture" from Chicago has a very short jazz trumpet solo with plunger mute. Note that this is in the overture part (before the singing starts). The singing part of this track has some interesting trumpet licks in it as well, but not enough to make the singing worth it Smile
    "Nocturne For Michel" from Frantic has a trumpet solo over most of the piece. Not terrific, but not horrible, either.
    "Main Title" from Red Dawn has a nice, lonely trumpet solo over the top of it. Too short, though.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: