StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

I think I'll remain a newbie
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4984

circleprovider is offline View user's profile Send private message circleprovider's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:50 am   Post subject: I think I'll remain a newbie Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying, Cocles was right, I am a newbie.

I know very little of the vast amounts of composers, the scores that they create, or the relationships between the soundtrack creation and movie production.

There was a time in my life that nothing compared to watching a new release. I used to love to walk out of a theater with a fresh perspective on my world from someone else's eyes, even if it was only for the duration of the movie. I loved getting caught up in a movie and having that same feeling return when I would explain a section of a movie to a friend, or simply listen to the soundtrack. It was a high like no other.

And I was rarely picky with the movies that I enjoyed. I simply had to relate to any one thing within that movie, a character, a plot-line, theme, music, etc. {Which is why I was able to go to some movies up to 7 times in the theater - as long as I took someone new each time.}

Then I found this site ... and I thought it was perfect. Soundtracks - 24 X 7. What could be better?

But somehow something's changed. Here I am, only an hour after watching Troy, and I've got a splitting headache. This is the kind of headache you get with Monday-Morning work stress. I've never felt like this after a movie. Especially after a movie like Troy, where although it may not be the best movie ever made, it's still one that I would have loved in the past.

I was called a newbie for making a statement about John Williams. I went back and forth and finally admitted to being flat-out wrong with my statement concerning him. And I thought that was the end of it. However, I'm learning a lot from the people here on this site. And I'm starting to find that as my ignorance of Soundtracks and movie production lessens, so does the ability to be lost in a movie and escape the "real world".

So Cocles was right. I am a newbie. And totally a dingo when it comes to soundtrack knowledge. And you know what? I'm ok with that. I'm going to go back to that. I need to be able to enjoy movies again ... and soundtarcks. I always thought that the dumb people have it easy in this world. So I will apply that to this for me. I'm going to be movie-dumb. And love every second of it. Very Happy

Ok ... that's all I got to say 'bout that.
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 15

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm as far as it comes from being a newb and even I avoid analyzing movies at all costs (the soundtrack, the plot, the characters, all of it).

Too many people try to make themselves feel big by analyzing the hell out of movies. We all have that friend who leans over half way through the movie and says, "I know what's going to happen!" It's as if they think they've "won" or something. Hey Einstein, the film isn't "competing" with you. Sit down and shut up.

It's just ridiculous.

Good for friggin' you if you figured out the movie. While you were sitting there analyzing, I was sitting here relaxing, having a good time and enjoying the film.

Movies are made to be experienced and enjoyed. Not analyzed.

If I analyze a film, I do it after I've seen it several times so it doesn't disrupt my enjoyment.
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
We all have that friend who leans over half way through the movie and says, "I know what's going to happen!" It's as if they think they've "won" or something. Hey Einstein, the film isn't "competing" with you. Sit down and shut up.

Laughing I couldn't agree with you more on that one, Cocles... I've had too many experiences with friends who have done exactly that.
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, circle, I think we're all newbies to some extent. Every time a new film/soundtrack/book/game comes out it has been made from the perspective of someone other than yourself. There is no real way of knowing what that person thought or felt, what they saw during post-production, what feelings the soundtrack conjured in their minds.. and therein lies the beauty of the entertainment industry, in my opinion.

People are always going to discuss/analyze/criticise forms of entertainment. But for me the trick is to let yourself be entertained first. You can discuss it later!
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
Too many people try to make themselves feel big by analyzing the hell out of movies. We all have that friend who leans over half way through the movie and says, "I know what's going to happen!" It's as if they think they've "won" or something. Hey Einstein, the film isn't "competing" with you. Sit down and shut up.
Well, that would be my sisters! I forbid myself from watching movies with them...they talk through the whole thing. And they call that entertaining? Talk about stress-city! I'm ready to strangle them. Yep, Cocles and Hurr, I'm with you two on that one. Actually, for my sisters, they don't get to the analyzing part: they just blow the whole movie by saying what's going to happen next. Evil or Very Mad
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:14 pm   Post subject: Re: I think I'll remain a newbie Reply with quote

circleprovider wrote:
And I'm starting to find that as my ignorance of Soundtracks and movie production lessens, so does the ability to be lost in a movie and escape the "real world".

I still love watching films as a temporary escape and think of them as entertainment. But part of the fun for me is to discuss the film afterwards with friends.

It doesn't detract from the original viewing experience for me to reflect upon what I liked and disliked about a certain film. And it helps to have a common language to discuss film scores and production with others, but it's not necessary. So just enjoy the movies! Wink
USA circleprovider
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4984

circleprovider is offline View user's profile Send private message circleprovider's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... I think my main issue was with my latest experience with Troy. I knew too much about the "making" of the movie before watching it and I focused too much on that instead of just watching the movie.

So ... that's really what I need to remember ... simple as that.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this topic... More and more today movies have had to compete with other movies to get audiences, one of the things they attempt is to have as many previews as possible, and if they run out of previews they show of a little clip of the making of the film on HBO... There are a few movies that have done this behind the scenes thing before the movie has come out... Lord of the Rings, Matrix, and other high special eefect shot movies... The problem with this is that I often sometimes find my brain going into logical thought... That obviously will throw you out of a fantasy movie.

Now I know I could just not look at those spoilers, but I must admitt, I am a junkie for movies, and any news that I hear about an up coming movie that i want to see... For a while I would sit in the theatre and get stuck in that logical anyalitical thought. It pissed me off, but there is hope for those of you who were like me. I have came back and I am able to see a spoiler and even a behind the scenes shot and enjoy the film. I don't know how I did it but I did. I again can become totally lost in a film.

The only problem that I have now is the dorks that i may see a movie with verbalize their thoughts on the film. Nothing worse than someone pulling you out of a movie with stupid information that you don't need such as, "excuse me I have to go pee", or " I am choking on popcorn, help me!" Please buddy pee your pants since you didn't go before and choke on your own time.
Marko
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 454

Marko is offline View user's profile Send private message Marko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cocles wrote:
We all have that friend who leans over half way through the movie and says, "I know what's going to happen!" It's as if they think they've "won" or something. Hey Einstein, the film isn't "competing" with you. Sit down and shut up.

It's just ridiculous.

I hate to say this but I am that kind of person. Though I have not done that in the last 2 movies I have gone to see and am beginning to be able to just enjoy a movie. It feels good to just get lost in the movie. The Last Samurai was the movie that did that the most for me. I just got completely involved in that movie. Thanks for this thread, it has helped me immensely.

Marko
USA Cocles
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Cocles is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Cocles's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a plan on how to get back at all the bastards I know who have talked during a film we were watching. I'm going to take them to a movie I wrote and every 2 minutes lean over and blurt, "I know what's going to happen! I totally know what's going to happen!"
UK mellowman
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Great idea cocles, that'll show 'em.

Problem is we aren't all as talented enough as you as to have our own film that we could sit them through. Perhaps we could irritate theses people by telling them all the things in the news while they read a newspaper, or tell them what line will be sung next in a song on the radio. Or, just to be really irritating, tell them we know what they're going to do next - they're going to breathe... and again... and agin... and again...

MAybe they would get the message then...
Canada Robert_Locksley
Commander
Commander

Member#: 980

Robert_Locksley is offline View user's profile Send private message Robert_Locksley's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is that no matter what you do or say - it'll never work. The only thing it'll do is give you some satisfaction in ruining it for them at that moment. Alas, what is this world coming to? Wink
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always just punch them in the face.
USA Legolas
Commander
Commander

Member#: 178

Legolas is offline View user's profile Send private message View Legolas's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that answere!!!Smile
Marko
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 454

Marko is offline View user's profile Send private message Marko's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That would definitely get results. Though not necissarily the results you were looking for.

I still like it:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: