StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Album Ratings System 3.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, at least i wasn't imagining things
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. good job you guys!
Commander

Member#: 12

Sensei is offline View user's profile Send private message View Sensei's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Caliburn wrote:
There are problems with SST-lite btw.

Just a 'FYI' for Sensei.

FYI SST-Lite is no longer in use =O I updated the links however, so for those who might have bookmarked it it's working again. You can only view the chat though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

why was it deprecated again?
heureka
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 7208

heureka is offline View user's profile Send private message heureka's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
Caliburn wrote:
There are problems with SST-lite btw.

Just a 'FYI' for Sensei.

FYI SST-Lite is no longer in use =O I updated the links however, so for those who might have bookmarked it it's working again. You can only view the chat though.

Yes, I bookmarked the SST-LITE page (in fact I kept the window open since the link disapeared Smile. The reason I continued to use SST-Lite was because the newer undocked chat window was not fully working for me (it stopped updating after a short while). Maybe this is fixed now, but I've got used to the Lite-Version somehow Smile

Anyway, it apears that all old ratings are none Sad

Heureka
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct heur - they combined the old rating to make one. Some of the old ones were skewed by people rating more than once or over or under rating to get the desired result they wanted. So the old ones weren't really accurate
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay once again. You need to rate the albums - even if they have already been rated by others and even if you rated it under the old system. If you will go look here
to see the top 100 you will see that the songs there are not truly indicative of what gets played by listeners. SAM pulls from this top 100. If you wonder why songs get played a lot that a majority don't seem to request this is why. You will see that at the top some have only been rated by four people. Now this is easy to do. If I love an album, and i have 3 friends that do, we can all rate it 5, getting 100% and thus 4 people have decided the number one song. So, when you get tired of obi-son and I telling you over and over to please rate the albums, now maybe you'll see why. And btw, altoid, obi and I rate every one of them. So you might be subject to our choices if you choose not to rate. Wink
Captain

Member#: 2939

mellowman is offline View user's profile Send private message View mellowman's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. late on my feedback to this item, but I think the new system is great and a more representative way of rating the scores. It also means I can go rate them again which is cool. Either that or I am sad..

(Added by Twopop July 2008)
F-A-S-T F-O-R-W-A-R-D 3 years 8 months to Pesa's comments ...
Brazil Pesadelo VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 19747

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Top100 Rated Albums feature was too slow. Nowadays there are much more albums (and songs) than there were on 2004. We did an optimization of the rating subsystem and, btw, changed the way the stars are calculated.

First of all, Sensei's formula is correct and is among the known methods accepted in descriptive statistics. As a statistical approach, it does not reflects the real ranking distribution of the albums though.

If you rank all the albums by rating and number of raters (albums that have enough raters), you will have a long line of albums from, lets say, 1 (the better rated) till 2700 (the worse rated). Now imagine that you cut this line in 10 pieces. Now you have the 10% better rated albums in the first piece - they will have 5 stars. For the second piece, you give 4.5 stars, and so on till the 10th piece (of the 10% worse rated albums) which has 0.5 stars.

The percentile old way of rank did this above, but in a "statistical way". Now there is a true rank and, then, it is possible to have 10 pieces with the same number of albums in each.

Also, in the past it was possible for a single user to rating an album more than once. The old ranking system was accounting these multiple ratings as a single user. The new ranking system does not. It is more fair.

Well, nothing like a technician with a bad english to explain a "simple concept" Smile In the case a good soul wants to "translate", please feel free.
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it... and that has nothing to do with your English, Pesadelo!!! Laughing

Anyway, my fuzzy feelings don't like it. To me it looks like everything except the very highly rated albums has been "down-star-ed".

Even if it has a rating of about 3 or even a bit more it doesn't get more than one measly bit of one star.
The way I understood the rating system (and used it, btw) a rating of three is the exact middle. Three is what I give an album that I didn't find wonderful but that didn't annoy me either.

The way it is now, the much-loathed "Forbidden Zone" gets half a star with a rating of 2.2 as well as Baten Kaitos -Unfinished Wings and The Lost Sea- with a rating of 3.42.
I don't know either soundtrack very well, but my point is (yes, I have one Razz) that in my opinion 3.42 is better than 2.2 and the stars don't show that distinction.

The star distribution is probably very logical and mathematical and stuff and therefore way over my head... but I think that it leaves a wrong impression.

Maybe I'm only annoyed because it happened to a lot of my beloved game soundtracks, but still...... Neutral
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am inclined to agree with alien. Since reading Pesa's post, I get how the stars are now assigned, but it does mean that it downgrades a lot of soundtracks I like. I look at the one star rating and say, geez, it can't be that unliked! It isn't, but the stars don't reflect that.

I think this new system has basically made the stars meaningless.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 19747

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Stars never meant to represent the rate of an album. The only change was in the way to calculate the deciles.
Captain

Member#: 10281

LadyInque is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View LadyInque's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesadelo wrote:
Stars never meant to represent the rate of an album.

That's certainly not the way i thought it worked. And it still seems that in some contexts, like the Now Playing frame, the stars represent just that. If that's not the case, then they are confusing and kind of useless. At least, I am confused.
France masked_platypus VIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 18358

masked_platypus is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View masked_platypus's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the statistic way to rate the albums, and I confirm that this is exact, but... (There's always a but)
Is it really necessary to distinguish the ten percent better?
I mean, I don't care if more than 50 % of SST database got more than 4 stars, cause a lot of what we hear in here is good.

Couldn't be possible to use the average rating of the voters, instead of using a statistic law?

I hope you understand what I mean, it isn't easy to explain it in English.
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, after reading this, I afraid to look at my beloved favorites...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: