StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

How important is the "sound" of a score?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks
View previous topic :: View next topic 
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:58 am   Post subject: How important is the "sound" of a score? Reply with quote

I had quite an argument with a friend of mine over that:

Do you think that the sound quality (=the way the music is recorded, mixed and mastered) affect your appreciation for a score? My friend doesn't care about sound quality at all, he isn't even paying attention to it - "all what counts is the music, not the technical mumbo jumbo."
In my opinion, a bad sounding album can definitely lessen the impact a score has on me, even if it's well written. On the other hand, I can appreciate a mediocre score that sounds great.
For example, "Men in Black" by Danny Elfman sounds fantastic - sweet brilliant strings and thundering timpani, very transparent and well balanced, nice reverb, electronics blend in perfectly etc. Not my favorite music though.

I'd be interested in how you guys think about that.

(And: What is, in your opinion, the best sounding score out there? What is the worst?)
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course quality counts. It can ruin a great piece of music. And, like you said make a mediocre piece sound great. Heard one on here the other day, but can't remember the name. The quaility wasn't that great and it made a huge difference. I am not sure what the best is. LOTR sounds pretty awesome but so do many others.
Lieutenant

Member#: 7365

Jazzman is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think recording quality makes a big difference. I listen to a lot of jazz, and while it seems like the bands of (many) years gone by had incredible players with an incredible tight sound playing music from great composers and arrangers, it is very difficult to hear all this through the horrible recordings we have of them. They are still listenable because of the great music, but I can only listen to so much before my ears get tired.

Nowadays, though, the recording technology is good enough that you really need to work hard to get a bad recording that affects the listenability of the music.
USA schroddie
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7501

schroddie is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website schroddie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think sound quality is crucial. Just take an old soundtrack (vinyl) and listen to it and then listen to the same soundtrack on CD for example. It's so much better!
To me, it's the same type of effect as listening to music when the sound volume is low or high. They are almost two different musics.
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is especially critical with scores because we tend listen to the details. When those details are harsh or omitted it makes a difference on how long it can be withstood. I also think sound quality makes a big difference in metal. Those two genres have something in common; the vocals are not the focus of the creative work. That could be why sound quality is more important and possibly why they’re my favorite genres.

I think sound quality means less to people who sing along to some Pop 40 hit or 80s tune.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
Firefly
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 7781

Firefly is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Firefly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

on the big screen quality SHOULD count. a big shot calls for a big sequence of music. thats the classical way of writing music to a film. modern times now have proved to throw away alot of the classical guidelines for writing a good score. to me, good classicaly trained composers are MR williams goldsmith and the really old people. i think that classical guidlines for a movie score are what makes a good score. beleive me im all about going forward in the genres of film score, so long as it doesnt suck Smile
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah. You completely missed the point.
USA Obi-son
Captain
Captain

Member#: 211

Obi-son is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Obi-son's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hey shock you said "Woah"
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7277

doodle is offline View user's profile Send private message doodle's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think sound quality means less to people who sing along to some Pop 40 hit or 80s tune

Well, that would explain ringtones...

Personally, I've never found a better way to listen to a score than with a good comfortable pair of earphones. So much easier to pick up on the little nuances in a track, like a quiet violin or sometimes an irregular beat. Wonderful when you find one, and the next time you listen you might never get it.

That for me is one of the beauties of soundtracks, and for that the quality is everything.
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm, my ringtones sound great, i download LOTR songs and the quality is great (of course my phone has an actual mp3 player)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 7277

doodle is offline View user's profile Send private message doodle's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, I'm obviously talking about those monophonic/polyphonic nightmares, thuring...
Hurr78
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5061

Hurr78 is offline View user's profile Send private message Hurr78's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I agree that good sound quality is really important. But even so, sometimes I enjoy listening to an old score that isn't in fantastic shape. For example, I have the original soundtrack to Vertigo. There's a newer re-recording that sounds much better (and I like it too), but sometimes I enjoy the atmosphere created by an old, imperfect sound.
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go for the music itself, but there is a point where sound quality can get so bad that it distracts from a beautiful score. And no matter how good the sound quality is for a musically mediocre score, I'm probably not gonna listen to it.

In the case of older scores, I prefer the original scores with poorer sound quality so I can hear how the composer intended it over a re-recorded version conducted by someone else that has better sound quality. But many times the originals are out of print and not available so I'm grateful for the re-recordings.

For me, it's a difficult trade-off between musical interpretation and sound quality. I agree with Jeric that scores with poor sound quality could become harsh or grating over time, especially with repeat listens. I was thinking that for broadcasters, it may be preferable to keep the sound quality consistently high so they may lean towards re-recordings. Hopefully, listening to re-recordings make people curious about the originals.
USA alberich VIP (subscribed member)
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 4

alberich is offline View user's profile Send private message View alberich's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i get your point Shock, but the poor sound quality of Prokofiev's original score for Eisenstein's film 'Alexander Nevsky' (1938) is very affective, even after all these years...

..anyway, i just couldn't stand the horrendous sound quality of the recent film 'Alone in the Dark'.... i even went to the management of the theatre to ask to have the Nuclear Blast sound turned down, and it was still horrible...oh well...
Denmark Armand
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 7352

Armand is offline View user's profile Send private message Armand's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi-son wrote:
hey shock you said "Woah"

Ahahahaha Razz

- Ninomiya Kazunari
(from the song Niji/Rainbow)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Soundtracks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: