StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$127.58

7 Donations:
$372.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Do you play an instrument? Do you compose?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

kazoo!

(I also played alto sax for 11 years, marching band mostly. Haven't played in 8 years though, and was never that good, just good enought to make the cut.)

jeff
sdg
Jazzman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7365

Jazzman is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people know I'm a trumpet player. I've been playing for over 20 years now. I played with Synthesis while in college and was fortunate to find an amateur big band afterwards to play with (C.B. Jazz). I've been playing lead trumpet with them for a number of years.

I also try to play a little piano, but I'm really not that good. I'm trying to learn to play Claire de Lune for a family recital in a few months. Everyone in my family is very musical except for our parents (figure that one out--my mother is completely tone deaf!).

I'm horrible at composing and arranging, which is really bad because there's always something great sounding in my head but I just don't know how to get it down on paper. I did throw together a big band arrangement of Duke Ellington's I'm Beginning to See the Light once, but it has yet to see the light of day.
shock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3465

shock is offline View user's profile Send private message shock's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm horrible at composing and arranging, which is really bad because there's always something great sounding in my head but I just don't know how to get it down on paper.

You can always do it like Danny Elfman: Just hum it to your 6 chained-up slave composers in the basement, they will flesh everything out for you and deliver the final music. You'll get all the credit, of course. Wink
Just kidding, obviously - but there are still plenty of people out there who believe he does write his scores like this, seriously. Makes me very, very sad.
USA schroddie
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7501

schroddie is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website schroddie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
I play the keyboard. Qwerty-style. Laughing

lol Sensei... very very nice. Ever tried to switch to AZERTY-style for a change?
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 90

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

schroddie wrote:
Sensei wrote:
I play the keyboard. Qwerty-style. Laughing

lol Sensei... very very nice. Ever tried to switch to AZERTY-style for a change?

What about DVORAK? Wink
USA zirael
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play piano passably, haven't touched the clarinet and bassoon in a long time, since band days. Clarinet is more popular here than I thought!
USA Techo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5054

Techo is offline View user's profile Send private message View Techo's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So many folks play various instruments, I just play the Piano, my favorite pieces are mostly from Beethoven and Chopin. I haven't touched the intstrument in the last 3 years. I could mention that back in middle school they forced me to learn and play the recorder Razz.
USA lotrgirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7872

lotrgirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View lotrgirl's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play flute in my college band, played piccolo last year (but we won't get into that...I'm too bitter). I've played flute for 9 years now. I've played piano for about 14 years now. I love playing both! Smile And I had to play the recorder, like Techo, for school. lol, and I tried playing my brother's trombone this summer...
Lieutenant

Jazzman is offline View user's profile Send private message Jazzman's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

lotrgirl wrote:
I love playing both! Smile

Wow! You can play flute and piano at the same time?!? That's amazing--you must send pictures of that.

I probably shouldn't say what the brass players used to call the flute players in high school (you probably already know).
Haurk
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 4340

Haurk is offline View user's profile Send private message Haurk's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play Guitar, Electric Bass, Drums, Piano and Sing.

I'm best at Guitar and Singing... I think, atleast that is what I do in the band I play in.. Playing kind of funkyish poprock Smile
Band website: www.classicmolly.com (warning: the site design is... special Razz)

I compose mostly with the band, using jamsessions. Someone has an idea, and we turn it into a song Smile

I do compose some stuff on the computer aswell with Reason (Music Sequencer Program) and my midi keyboard. It's really fun as you can make orchestral music with only a program and a midi keyboard, but I can't say I'm very good at it even though I've made a few pieces Smile
USA lotrgirl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 7872

lotrgirl is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View lotrgirl's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzman wrote:
lotrgirl wrote:
I love playing both! Smile

Wow! You can play flute and piano at the same time?!? That's amazing--you must send pictures of that.

I probably shouldn't say what the brass players used to call the flute players in high school (you probably already know).

LOL, I wish! That would be fun to play both at once. And yeah, I've heard names for us flute players...
Lieutenant

Member#: 2617

GrooveMerchant is offline View user's profile Send private message GrooveMerchant's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, there are alot of musicians around SST, that's awesome! Quite a few singers I noticed, good stuff right there, it's one of those things I really admire and wish I was better at.

Anywho, I've been playing Alto and Tenor Sax for the last 9 years, although this year I didn't do any type of group. Marching band sucks up way to much time these days, and college band isn't competitive, which in my opinion just isn't as much fun. I gotta go find somewhere to play Jazz, or just bust out some Aebersolds. Holy Crap do I miss playing Jazz.......
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Played clarinet for a while, loved switching to contra-bass clarinet, and i consider that my instrument of choice if/when playing concert-style. Started to love martching bad as soon as i became Drum Major, i loved conducting more than anything (even if no one does really watch you out there).
I can play piano by ear, but havne't developed it any further than that.
Play a little acoustic guitar.
Havea drive to some day learn how to play the mandolin.
Have learned how to play a dulcimer.
My instrument of choice right now is a tambourine. Mexican style, while dancing.
People have recently been telling me i can sing ... what?! i would probably be somewhere slightly above an alto, depending on the day. I dont trust the people that have been telling me that i have a good voice, so i just share whatever talent i have with the radio in my car, or with people in other cars who can't hear me.

Very talented group here. very impressed. You have to have an appreciation for music to like some of the stuff around here!
Lieutenant

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was Drum Major in high school, too, but went back to playing instead. I enjoy conducting (I conduct the church choir now), but love playing my horn more.

rebeccabutterfly wrote:
i loved conducting more than anything (even if no one does really watch you out there)

I've found they're always paying attention when I make a mistake.
USA rebeccabutterfly
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aw

Member#: 3098

rebeccabutterfly is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website rebeccabutterfly's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

They also pay attention when your dress flies up.
They dont realize that you can see every move they make from up there, though. Sometimes more than I ever cared to see.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: