StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Do you play an instrument? Do you compose?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
project2501
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 9481

project2501 is offline View user's profile Send private message project2501's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*Thanks Tjoe for pointing this thread out to him.

Well, I've been singing ever since elementary aschool. I'm one of those guys who can sing well, but my voice just isn't all that great. It's a baritone, incidentally. I play most brass instruments; not with any proficiency to speak of, but enough to understand who they are played and teach them to others of beginner and intermediate level. I play pretty good recreational guitar (from sheet music, not just tab, either). I actually played accompaniment guitar for a loccal production of Seussical this last summer. I can also play the bass and drums, and a smidgen of the piano (NOT from music XD). And I compose, in several styles, mostly in the realm of gaming soundtrack, but in rock/metal, orchestral, and I experiment with house/techno styles blended with the others. I'll even have my website Allegro con Fuoco up and running soon. (b^^)b
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Piano. Recorder. Violin. Harmonica.

These are all instruments I have had at one time or another, and I am terrible at all of them. I'm not tone-deaf, but I can only sing two octaves. I'm okay at impersonations, but I'm still having trouble defining my "neutral" voice. I still enjoy singing as Christopher Walken and William Shatner. (I know, I know, they sound like they're talking half the time anyway.)

For fun, I write love songs and national anthems for countries, real and fictitious.

What I'm really good at, and sadly this is mostly a disappearing technology, is composing music on old Nokia phones. (I have an ancient 3360, and wouldn't you know it, it no longer rings.) It used to be a standard feature, but the new phones don't have it anymore, or you have to pay to get some program that I'm not aware of. Most people will rather pay 50 cents for some song everyone else will have on their phone. I learned how to write out the theme to The Simpsons in less than an hour.

If my phone hadn't decided to go terminal on me, I would probably still be attempting to compose ring tunes. I might get a program to actually do it on the computer, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
JJ2005
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 9724

JJ2005 is offline View user's profile Send private message JJ2005's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary instrument is flute (junior high-college). But I have not been practicing much though, since I found that the apt. lease says no instrument praticing. Smile

I also play the piccolo, clarinet, piano and fife. My favorite instrument is the piccolo.

My funny music story is that my assistant band instructor in 7th grade told to stop playing the clarinet because "I sucked" and play the tuba instead for marching band (I was 4ft then). I took up the flute halfway through yr, became first chair in 8th grade and accomplished clarinet player by 9th. I loved rubbing it in the teacher's face ever since.

I don't sing though. After my 3rd grade elementary teacher said I could not sing, I have never been in a choir since.
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a dummies for piano book for xmas. want to learn piano this year. even if it is just basic.
Yemen j2brown
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 9

j2brown is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View j2brown's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What does a piano need with dummies?

Wink

jeff
sdg
UK thejoyrider
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8986

thejoyrider is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View thejoyrider's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, piano for dummies.
loveslave
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 98

loveslave is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website loveslave's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the trombone in a band called cirkus frax, but I dont't compose any music myself, really.

Used to play the piano many years ago, but don't anymore. One of the reasons would be that it's hard to fit a piano in my apartment...
Greece Gorgonos
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 13198

Gorgonos is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gorgonos's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I might as well write my first post on this subject.

I play the piano, any synth (I enjoy more the older analog ones, but it isn't very easy to find them in this part of the world), the Hammond (although that is even more difficult, so I just stick mainly to a KORG CX3 vintage organ that I bought from a friend) anything that resembles a piano to be honest (from a fender rhodes to accordion).
I also play guitar (mostly acoustic/classic) and bass (electric). Not so good on drums, have to practice more (practice means playing on the table and floor while listening to a song), Ι also played some reed instruments back in school, so I find it relatively easy to play the flute, clarinet and a bit of saxophone (though practice would help extremely).
I play in 5 bands (all different kinds of music) here in Athens, Greece (though I recently learned that Robert Fripp has an album with one of songs in it in his collection)I play the keyboards mostly, but I also sing in two of them and I have also been working as a session musician during the last year.
I compose in most all of my bands and I have also been asked to write songs for a popular singer here (which I did, I wrote 5 songs, I am just waiting for her and her producer to answer back).
Hm, this is getting long and boring, but it's my first post so bare with me Smile .
I also study sound engineering (I have already two credits as assistant engineer in two CDs, apart from the other CDs as session musician) hey, I once played piano accompanied by an orchestra for a Deutsche Grammophone recording, my proudest moment yet, though it wasn't released after all Sad
I have also produced a theme song for a radio-theater show, which is something I would really like to do (be a producer that is), and I have also provided a piano only track for a tv series here in Greece.
Which is good, as I am just 24. What I really want to do is compose (and arrange hopefully) film music in the US, but that is still a dream. If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate Smile

Sorry for the long post everyone
USSR the_lake_effect
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 12520

the_lake_effect is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View the_lake_effect's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize, Gorgonos. You just answered the topic question, that's all. Believe me, it takes a great deal of willpower for me to keep from writing every single thing on my mind. (And miraculously, I'm still at 216 posts.) Welcome to SST Gorgonos!

*goes back to composing heart-wrenching melodies on cell phone*

Stories are for children, skyscrapers, and anyone wishing to reach for the stars.

The truthiness shall set you free.
crystalstare
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 10891

crystalstare is offline View user's profile Send private message crystalstare's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a Casio keyboard in the 80s and I managed to figure out some christmas carols.

I also played the tuba in high school, but I was asked to consider taking art classes because I once hyperventilated trying to play a fast piece, and I think they were upset that the floor dented the tuba when I passed out.
Netherlands Heretic
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 12756

Heretic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Heretic's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play now for 10 years the tenor horn. I'm playing with 3 brassbands, so i'm almost every day busy with playing by one of the brassbands:P
But it is one of the best things to do:D
Canada Arya
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 8715

Arya is offline View user's profile Send private message View Arya's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born with what some people call a "muscial ear", I can play most instruments with basic skill and can learn most songs just by listening to them. I can't read sheet music, and have never been taught how to play anything, but I still play piano. I think the gift is pretty wasted on me Sad
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 10704

SpaceC06 is offline View user's profile Send private message SpaceC06's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing violin since I was 5...

Of course I am not very good since it's just a hobby Very Happy

But I enjoy it anyways...Smile

The distance doesn't matter; only the first step is difficult.
--Mme. du Deffand
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rather astounding how many people play the clarinet. (I also now had to start that instrument obliged by the music university to learn an orchestral instrument, and I'm proud to say I'm not so bad for a beginner, my teacher plays in the Vienna States Opera Orchestra = Vienna Philharmonics).
So many woodwinds, brass and pianos. But little strings, how come??

Actually my whole life is music!
I am now studying composing at the university for music and arts in Vienna/Austria, but started to compose at the age of 15. Since then I always knew I wanted to become a composer/conductor.
I went 9 years to the music high school in Vienna and after graduation I spend my 8-month military service at the military music departement mostly as pianist and arranger.

I started the piano when I was a little kid, but really started to practice at 14/15. I was quite good though back then.
I also have the so-called "musical ear" like Arya, so I know what it is like to hear every false pitch.
And since I've also been singing in several choirs since my childhood, I can tell you, this can hurt sometimes... Smile

I started to play organ at the age of 16, I spend 3 years on the conservatory learning organ, but now I sadly rarely practice now since I'm at the university. (I still get lessons though and who knows what will turn out at the end)

I also intend to study conducting (and also doing filmscores someday???) after I got my first diploma in composing (due 2007).

When that is done I plan to add musical science to this long list.
But I'm 21 now, so there should be some time left. Laughing

I sing in several vocal ensembles (my voice is bass-baritone), like to play chamber music (I'm actually trying to revitalise a tango-ensemble I had in high school... Piazolla & Co), and I am really surprised by how many musicians are in this forum.
In fact it really makes me happy!

Jerry Goldsmith was one of my greatest role models, I wrote a big a-cappella choir piece in memoriam for him. It hasn't been performed yet because it requires a big choir and the difficulty level is quite high (duration about 11 minutes).
Hopefully I can manage to get a contribution of it soon and will be able to send a copy of the score and dedication to his family. If someone for instance has a contact that could help my I'd be grateful.

Okay, I'm stopping to show off already, don't worry. Confused

Looking forward to learn more from you soon.
USA Jim_A
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13205

Jim_A is offline View user's profile Send private message Jim_A's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Played a Baritone in 1983, when I was in 6'th grade. You'll notice I didn't say I played it well; just said I played it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: