StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

Do you play an instrument? Do you compose?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    StreamingSoundtracks.com Forum Index -> Community
View previous topic :: View next topic 
Asriana
Commander
Commander

Member#: 11184

Asriana is offline View user's profile Send private message Asriana's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim_A wrote:
Played a Baritone in 1983, when I was in 6'th grade. You'll notice I didn't say I played it well; just said I played it.

Welcome to SST Jim_A! Very Happy In 5th grade, we had someone come to our school and show us a variety of instruments. I wanted to play the French Horn, because my father had played it. So they gave me on to practise with. The nicest comment I got was it sounded like a moose call. Needless to say - I played the Xylophone and drums there after Rolling Eyes
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
I also have the so-called "musical ear" like Arya, so I know what it is like to hear every false pitch.
Is this the same thing as "perfect pitch"? So-called perfect pitch is an ability one is born with, (as opposed to "relative pitch" that is developed & learned) where you can identify/name any pitch just by hearing it. It's very rare. I was once in a college choir of 100 people, all music majors (except me Rolling Eyes ) - 20 of them had perfect pitch! It was heaven.

I am astounded and so pleased to realize that there are so many talented and musically-educated SSTers.

I hope more of you will come into chat and share your ideas and experiences with the rest of us!
Austria bpewien
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 13275

bpewien is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View bpewien's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually yes, it's quite the same like the "perfect pitch" (e.g. if you play a c-sharp chord, I'd recognise it), though sometimes it can be confusing especially when you sing or play old music (Buxtehude, Bach, Pergolesi, Schuetz etc.) in the old pitch (usually 415 Mhz) and you're used to hear 440/443 Mhz pitch.
So it's always a challenge to sing a piece that's written in for example a-minor and the sound is like a flat/g-minor... this needs practice (and is also something to get used to).

And the other sometimes uncomfortable side-effect:
When you sing in an ensemble and the pitch is falling (because of exhaustion or other circumstances, like lack of concentration and so on) and you're the only on noticing it and being unable to help it in any kind, it's getting frustrating sometimes.

Last edited by bpewien on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
USA Twopop VIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 7382

Twopop is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Twopop's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

bpewien wrote:
the other sometimes uncomfortable side-effect: When you sing in an ensemble and the pitch is falling (because of exhaustion or other circumstances, like lack of concentration and so on) and you're the only on noticing it
Arrrgh! That must be excruciating... like nails on a chalkboard. LOL.
That's why in our 100-member choir it was nice to have 20 people who could keep us on key. Smile
Nasuada
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 13382

Nasuada is offline View user's profile Send private message Nasuada's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love music. SmileI've played the piano almost my entire life (which isn't too long, I suppose). I also love to sing--my voice used to be high, but it went through a strange, squeaky stage during my freshman and sophomore years of high school. Now it seems to have settled somewhere on a lower soprano.

I seem to have the "musical ear" as well. ^_^ Ergo, listening to soundtracks and playing them on the piano is one of my favorite hobbies.
Auroter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 13482

Auroter is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Auroter's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play piano/keyboard (teach piano as well, for that matter). I compose everything from classical music to 'modern' songs that you'd hear on the radio. My emphasis/main repetoire (however you spell that word) is classical though. And yes, mozart is a sadistic bastard. I also sing Bass, though not amazingly well, better than the average layman I suppose.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4924

zirael is offline View user's profile Send private message View zirael's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was thinking that I wanted to play "My Father's Favorite" by Patrick Doyle on the piano and figured this needed a bump too so I could see what instruments you all are playing.
PomPom
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 11288

PomPom is offline View user's profile Send private message PomPom's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks for Bumping Zirael !

As for me i play the guitar and Piano
Not a really good level, but i have also the musical hear. So i can find and play nearly every melody i hear.

Member#: 89

BuyerQueen is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View BuyerQueen's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I played clarinet for 4 years in junior high & high school. I also took piano lessons, but I only play at Christmas (and not that well). For some reason, I just love playing Christmas Carols.

BQ
Captain

Member#: 16007

alien_avatar is offline View user's profile Send private message View alien_avatar's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play classical guitar and "the recorder" (Wikipedia tells me that's Blockflöte in English. I suppose I'll have to believe it, since they included a picture. Wink)
I haven't played either in 15 years and haven't missed it. Neither has anybody else...Laughing
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have input back on the first page...

but I will add that I'm now learning guitar Smile
and I'm no longer in the R&B band. It was disbanded about a year or more ago. Sad

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA tranzishun
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2223

tranzishun is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View tranzishun's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

piano/keyboard and used to play drums in a couple bands.
USA weaponlordzero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I play tuba, (valve) trombone, and bass guitar. I sing baritone (and some bass). I have composed some light stuff (and no it isn't good enough for SST Smile ). I also got to conduct an orchestra in high school. Our high school jazz band won 1st - 4th place in the Berkley (Boston, MA) College of Music Jazz Festival in 4 years. I even got to sing with Rosemary Clooney in high school. Funny enough, I now live in KY and play and sing country music. In fact, I'm the MC of the show called the Louisville Opry.
Captain

Member#: 15677

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

oops!!!! I also played the Baritone horn in high school and college!!
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 13973

phireangel is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View phireangel's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wants to play with phire? Razz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: