StreamingSoundtracks.com
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of SST!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Search

SSTore

:: SSTore ::

multiple requests on one network

View previous topic :: View next topic 
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:55 am   Post subject: multiple requests on one network Reply with quote

Here's the question:

Question Can two (or more) members on two (or more) computers request a song within the time limit?

Ok... I have heard two sides to this question.

One answer is no, two or more members can not request if they are on the same network and/or same IP.

The other answer is yes you can as long as it is two (or more) members with separate nicks... even if it's on the same network and/or IP.

Shocked HUH???? How can both answer be right? Or is neither answer right?

I have combed through the FAQs and the forum (searching for network and request) and haven't found anything remotely resembling an answer... although I have found a couple of obscure referrences to it.

here from jaav

and here from IMJ

I have also tried the experiment of requesting on a network with one IP and two members logged on (myself and peaches) at our store and my parents house. In both locations, peaches and I tried to request a song within minutes of each other. Only the first to successfully request their song got it in the queue. The other is given the "can't request at this time" page.

So can we settle this once and for all please? It would certainly save me from tearing out of my head the little bit of hair I have left.

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
Caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You can *not*, I repeat *not* request within the same request window if you have the same IP address.
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The system checks for IP and Username due to the abuse we've had in the past. It was really bad. Now we rarely have abuse, just complaints once in a blue moon about not being able to request on the same network. I can live with that with abuse being nil. There's nothing we can do about the IP check either. It is hard coded into the software we use to broadcast. I wouldn't want to anyway because we'd have a lot of people creating alias' so they can request more frequently.

Please do not PM me. Use email, Feedback or Contact Us links.
genericdragon
Commander
Commander

Member#: 7493

genericdragon is offline View user's profile Send private message genericdragon's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Cal... short and to the point. Wink Very Happy

... and thanks JERIC for the clarification. Very Happy

Every once in a while this subject comes up in chat... It's good to know that we can now say "Go here for the answer and stop whining." Wink

"The thing that impresses me the most about America is the way parents obey their children." ~ King Edward VIII (1894 - 1972)
USA thuringwethil
Captain
Captain

Member#: 7505
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas, formerly from the Heart of Dixie

thuringwethil is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View thuringwethil's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparantly gen when we did it here, it was a fluke, according to cal. I tried this a.m. and it didn't work.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: